• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carbon fiber body panels for a ‘72

Thaddeusrex

this has been asked before, but it’s been quite a while, so updating. Does anyone have a source for carbon fiber body panels? Primarily the hood. I’m near 60 with bad shoulders, and military pressing that 85 lb. hood is for the birds.

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Friend had a beautifully done, carbon fiber hood made for his 71. As soon as the guy finalized the mold, several of us wanted to have it done too, and he mysteriously closed shop and disappeared.
Just our luck!

The hood was amazing and weighed all of 7 pounds. It was on a bronco buggy eventually purchased by member here MTfit.
There were some threads about it with some good pictures, but that was many years ago so it would take some digging.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, that wasn’t pertinent to your discussion.
I meant to add that I don’t know of anyone that makes them for general use.
But I did hear of a couple of companies that specialize in such things for custom race vehicles, and such.
They would most likely still be the only ones, as Carbon fiber hasn’t reached the Early Bronco mainstream yet.
At least not that I know of…

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely! And there you go.
Definitely a good answer in lieu of a replacement lightweight hood. Thanks Steve. Obviously, I should’ve thought of it myself!
Even fiberglass is much lighter than the metal, but one way to keep the stock looking construction, while getting rid of 85% of the initial lifting weight, and 100% the rest of the way up, would be a set of hood shocks.

dylan5353

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
I have a carbon fiber hood on my bronco, was planning on making a few more pretty soon. Its super stiff and less than ten lbs. If this is something people want i'm happy to start making. them. I'll try and get some pictures posted.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

I have a carbon fiber hood on my bronco, was planning on making a few more pretty soon. Its super stiff and less than ten lbs. If this is something people want i'm happy to start making. them. I'll try and get some pictures posted.
Definitely interested Dylan! You made it yourself?! That’s impressive. Pics would be great.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

The hood shock kits help a little with the weight of the hood.
Thanks Steve, yeah, I’ll do those if I can’t find the carbon fiber. I’d love to get all that weight off from way up high though. I’ve also seen hoods buckle in the middle with those, so I’d need to add more weight with supports. But that would be the top option, I agree.

dylan5353

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
Definitely interested Dylan! You made it yourself?! That’s impressive. Pics would be great.
Yeah made it myself. Used to be a composites tech and have been wanting to get back into composites as a bit of a side hustle. The next mold I’ll make will just be a stock style hood without a scoop. Here’s a pic of my hood.

Attachments

• IMG_8041.png
    IMG_8041.png
    738.8 KB · Views: 126

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
Yeah made it myself. Used to be a composites tech and have been wanting to get back into composites as a bit of a side hustle. The next mold I’ll make will just be a stock style hood without a scoop. Here’s a pic of my hood.
Also looks like I somehow logged into an old account, dylan_shaffer is my proper account on here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Side hustles are good. So let’s see what kind of interest we can gather.
I even have things for other cars that I’ve always wanted in carbon fiber, but never really thought much about it for the bronco.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

Wow, that’s just too cool for words. I like the unpainted look too.

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
I could probably have the first hoods done in 2 months with my current work schedule. Making the mold will take the longest, once that’s done the hoods are quick.

Last edited:

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
Any idea what you would charge? where are you? Oh... Cali
Not sure exactly what I would charge, need to do a cost breakdown of all the materials, haven’t priced carbon in a few years. Definitely don’t aim to gouge anyone on price, especially fellow board members. But it would definitely cost more than a fiberglass hood. Not a super definitive answer but it’s all I got for now!