• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wobble at 30-40 mph

Minderbinder3

Contributor
So my ‘66 has had a front end wobble since I got it last year. It is one of the reasons I ended up with it because my brother-in-law didn’t feel safe when it happened. I have had Jeep Wranglers that had “death wobble” issues and it is not that bad.

It is pretty much stock and I have replaced the suspension and tires. I also replaced the drag link and that seemed seemed to cure about 50% of it but it still wobbles at 30-40 mph. Doesn’t matter if the road is bumpy or smooth and it goes away if you go slower than 30 or faster then 40.

After looking closely at the front wheels, I think both have some positive camber. Could this be the cause? If so how can I adjust them? I know how to adjust toe-in but not this.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 27

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Take it in for an alignment. Could be camber or toe issues. Mine did same thing and toe was way off.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
to me it looks like your running toe "out". Of course it could be the angle or more than likely my old eyes.....
I agree that you need to get it aligned and start there.
How old are the bushings (C and trac bar)??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You might just do the be all and end all of tests, with a helper turning the wheel back-and-forth while you watch all the components underneath. Front and back while you’re at it, but obviously this is an issue with the front.
Even though a common wobble like yours is usually tire related. since you replace the tires, that would seem to rule it out.
However, I would still rotate one side front to back just to see if it changes. Then do the other side.
If it doesn’t change, you’ve got a lot more work to do!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You got some good suggestions from the gurus.. Good luck

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
You might just do the be all and end all of tests, with a helper turning the wheel back-and-forth while you watch all the components underneath. Front and back while you’re at it, but obviously this is an issue with the front.
Even though a common wobble like yours is usually tire related. since you replace the tires, that would seem to rule it out.
However, I would still rotate one side front to back just to see if it changes. Then do the other side.
If it doesn’t change, you’ve got a lot more work to do!
You must have this in a permanent state of copy so you can paste at will! This should be a sticky as it seems this is the number one issue asked about these days and the last to be searched.
Great advice as always Paul!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Good thing I like typing! :rolleyes:
I actually have some of these things typed up, where I used to repeat them often. But things are so messed up on my slow-running computer, and I am not on the forum as much as I used to be (or as much as I'd like to be!) that I just forget about them, and just type away mindlessly.
I guess I just like to keep my fingers tuned up!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and if you think it comes up often around here, you should hang out on the Jeep forums!
It's to the point that many seem to think it's a Jeep-only thing, and that it can't happen on other vehicles. Oh, and that it's almost never caused by tires. Even though more wobbles are fixed with new tires than are fixed almost any other way. Except for some trackbar bolt issues. But I still say that even those are tire-related.
One poster recently chimed in to tell a guy that had recently fixed his Death Wobble with new tires, that because the tires fixed it, then it could not possibly have been a Death Wobble! Oh vey...

Paul

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Tracbar bushings or heim ends if you have it, Ball joints, Loose steering box bolts, correct Toe-in,