• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quiet High Flow Mufflers, Do they exist?

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
If you have a reputable local exhaust shop near you, go there and ask. You will find some really useful information on some of the top, higher priced manufacturers and find some lower cost alternative of great quality (exact to the high priced guys) and the sound you want. It is also a great place if you want to do headers or other custom work. I always try and shop local first before anything else. Sometimes I find some nice surprises. Not always, but it is always my first option.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you want quiet, don't get caught up in the aftermarket name brand muffler stuff. All the Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow stuff is there to be loud. Just different types of loud. And most people associate loud with power (just look at the yelling in the presidential debates). But there are plenty of high flow OEM mufflers that work. You just can't claim that you have a (insert name of favorite exhaust company here) muffler on your ride.

The Flowmaster Delta 50 is not loud and has no drone. You can only hear them when I really get on it and since they have no packing to blow out they will never get any louder.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've had delta 50s on a mustang. While not obnoxious, they were not quiet. A noticeable step above stock. Good thing is they were drivable on long trips without going completely insane.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If the Delta 50 isn't quiet enough they do make a Delta 70.
The downside is it's really big.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've run a 70 on the Bronco, think it was before the delta line.
Tight packaging under the passenger seat. Dumped in front of the rear tire.
With the shorter, larger diameter exhaust and a higher compression engine it was louder then the mustang with Delta 50s, full length exhaust, cats, and a stock motor.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
After my experience with three of them on different vehicles there will be no Flowmaster's in my future. One I replaced with my first of the Walker that I linked previously, the second I sold still on the car, but with the Supertrapp's that I was trying to replace re-installed, and the third just went to the metal scrap yard eventually to be replaced with my third Walker. <Washes hands> of FM's.

Soon I'll need to find an equivalent to the Walker that is more appropriate for a ~183 cubic inch engine.

cw

I've run a 70 on the Bronco, think it was before the delta line.
Tight packaging under the passenger seat. Dumped in front of the rear tire.
With the shorter, larger diameter exhaust and a higher compression engine it was louder then the mustang with Delta 50s, full length exhaust, cats, and a stock motor.

I run a two into one with a flow master 70. 95 5.0 stock re-ring and bearings. Sounds great and when I get on it it opens up nice. Don't really notice at highway speeds. Can hold conversations easily.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
turbo designs (dynomax) are higher flow than chambered (flowmaster) so considered performance mufflers (straight thru the most). A bigger muff is quieter, a ‘straight thru’ muff the most performance but for you - the loudest (no good). Longer pipe, smaller - more quiet (dual 1.75 pipes’n 2 muffs). Resonators (coming back for many of today’s car manufacturers) shape sound, muffs quiet it so a cat resonator and muffs would B more quiet. Stainless - more tinny sound.

It sounds like you want the best of both in an either or world. Tough call. I like my attempt at best performance, lill regard for sound, db level for community acceptance, no rasp or drone (I hate the latter if on a long expressway ride). So go for a turbo of adequate size (6 X 17 X 19) with noise canceling silencers.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Pick something with about your HP level that is quiet, look at mufflers that fit it and see if they fit. Get a stock replacement muffler. They are very affordable in most cases. I finally did this with my V8 Ranger. Ended up using a muffler off a V8 Durango (or maybe Dakota). Had enough flow for the engine but was quiet. I scoured the diminsions, inlets and offsets to find something that fit, ran that part number through Rock Auto website to find the application.

In general if you want high flow and quiet, you are looking at a physically large muffler.
I trapped 130 in my blown 14 GT mustang through the stock cat back. I did have a catless X in front of it. Was a bit raspy @ high RPM/full throttle (partially by the nature of the beast, that is a characteristic of the modern coyote), but otherwise, pretty quiet and as you mentioned a "stock" muffler. I estimate 550-600 @ the wheels in a 3600 lb Stang. Very few in the EB world will make/need more than that. You can probably get those mufflers for free , too.

20201027_175733a.jpg

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
"Ah, but he's only mostly dead, he's not completely dead!"
--Miracle Max

Last edited:

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a mild 351, long tubes through 2.25 dual exhaust with Flowmaster Delta 50s with no top running out the back either side of tank. I really like the FM sound, but they can still be pretty loud when under load and when I get on it.

I had FM 44 that sounded sweet, but way too loud then Thrush Hush and were quietest but didnt like the sound, then Cherry Bomb Turbo which were also quiet and very compact, but didnt like the sound so much either.

Sound preference is so much of a personal preference.

My only suggestion is using quality clamps and not welding them in so its an easy change if you dont like what you chose.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
my experience, dual inlet and single outlet are my choice. with those aftermarket flowmasters, magnaflow, Thrush types don't have much options. Had to build a Y to a single inlet. Next on I'll do is to add an inlet along side of single inlet because that all it is.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
There's one of the dual inlet, single outlet FM's on the Wagon. Can't say that I'm a fan. Assuming that there is room, the Wagon will be getting one of these when I get to the exhaust system: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17698
Mellow tone, almost quiet at idle, no drone at cruise, some throat to it at WOT.