• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

snap rings on ball joints

mraine

Contributor
I am replacing the ball joints on a 77. The bottom ball joint works fine, the top seats properly but the knuckle covers the snap ring slot. If I grind it down, I need to grind the bottom surface of the part of the knuckle that supports the ball joint.
See the pic, the single blue arrow is ok but the backside with the double blue arrow needs about 1/8th ground down.
If I can get an angle grinder in there, I am about 70% sure I can grind it down enough to get the snap ring on. Do I need to? Can I go without a snap ring on the top ball joint? Is the knuckle strong enough to grind an 1/8th off?

Attachments

• knuckle.jpg
    knuckle.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 105

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Do not grind the knuckle. Bronco only uses the lower snap ring. What you have is 100% normal. Trust me I even went and jumped under my 77 to double check. Your not the first one to run into this and it does seem weird.

Jim

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Old thread. It's a common issue.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214037

Thread talks about the ball joint press tool at the parts stores not being adequate and the need for a additional tool kit specifically for 4x4 that has an adapter that goes on the C clamp/installer that pushes the ball joint further into the knuckle?

I used NAPA prem ball joints on 79 bronco knuckles with a 20 ton HF press. No issues with the snap rings

Tim

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I used NAPA prem ball joints on 79 bronco knuckles with a 20 ton HF press. No issues with the snap rings

Tim

Interesting enough I have '78 knuckles without snap rings on the top joints, even though the groove is visible. Same thing on my '79 F-150. It's been a long time so I don't remember for sure, but I am wondering if they came with snap rings for the top? If so, not sure why I wouldn't have installed them...?:?

Either way I don't think it's an issue.