• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Could a kill switch drain a battery?

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
This is coming from a parking lot where I'm stuck waiting for a jump.

I had a kill switch installed at a shop where my buddy works as an anti theft thing, and never use it.

Well, I used it tonight and my battery is way dead. Nothing.

The switch does kill the truck when running and should keep the vehicle from being stolen.

I can't even steal my own truck now. Any ideas?

Last time I pay for anything to get done! If someone's gonna mess something up it's gonna be me!!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the attitude! That way, if you can break it, you can fix it too.

A normal kill-switch should not drain the battery. But what circuit did they put the switch in? What kind of switch is it?
Could be a coincidence of course, but I hate to "assume" that. I hate coincidences on Broncos!

Good luck. Little more detailed info might help here though.

Paul

The Mule

I put a battery switch in before, which did a great job at preserving the battery but if the broncos was jumped/hotwired or I accidentally tried to start it without turning the switch back on it would blow the ignition fuse. Went through a ton of fuses!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It could put a drain the battery depending on how it's configured. I wired up one for my Bronco and it has more drain when the kill is off than it does when on.

OP
OP
trailerjack

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
Well, jumped it, saw a spark and the solenoid started glowing....the tow truck driver/ battery jump guy drove me to a parts store to get a new solenoid.

We installed it, and she fired right up. I guess the kill switch was just my idea since I never use it, and used it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You might have the small wires on the solenoid switched around. pull them off and see if it dies.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not likely you have them backwards. If you did, the starter would energize as soon as you turned the key to RUN.
But if you pull the Brown wire off of the small right side post and it the engine shuts off, then it means your new solenoid is bad.

If it doesn't turn off when you pull the Brown wire, then your ignition is getting power from somewhere. Either the ignition switch has failed as well, or you're getting some feedback through your ignition power wire.

Do you know where the kill switch was wired? It could be the cause of your engine not stopping when you turn the key OFF too.

Paul
Paul