• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

16 or 17 inch steel rims? And where do I find them?

Broncojim

I want to gain more clearance around the tie rod ends after installing the F150 knuckles for disc brakes. I have seen both 16 and 17 inch rims steel rims available, with prices as low as $60-70 each on Ebay and Amazon, but are they any good in terms of being concentric and balanced? More expensive ones are $100 and up. Being on a budget I don't want to spend more than needed.

It appears that the center should be ~3.35 or 85mm but I notice some rims have a much larger center bore. If rims with larger bores are used should I find a concentric ring to install? The back spacing on the rims I have seen run between 3.75 and 4.03 inches. Most of the rims I have seen with 5 on 5.5 have been 8 or 9 inches wide.

My Bronco has a 2.5" suspension lift and 2" body lift. Would a 265/75R16 (or 17) be a reasonable tire size to run without rubbing? Or bigger or smaller tires?

Any comments would be welcomed! Thanks!

snoddas

Hi,
Someone here have found out that speedway motors have both steel and chrome wheels in 6” and in 16”. Big bore size and 5x5.5.
Unfortunately not for dog dish/hub caps. Always something wrong...

Best luck/Anders

OP
OP
B

Broncojim

Hi,
Someone here have found out that speedway motors have both steel and chrome wheels in 6” and in 16”. Big bore size and 5x5.5.

Best luck/Anders

Thanks for the tip. I didn't find any steel wheels at Speedway which were 16 or 17 inch but it got me looking and I found several at Summit. In order to not reduce the turning too much due to tire interference I figure I should not have a backspace greater than 4 inches, and hopefully less. Do you agree? Is the factory 3.5-3.75 inches? I know this will not be an optimal geometry for loading on the wheel bearings but it is one of the compromises for a larger tire. I figure I can always trim the fender if needed.

BTW, some of the models looked like they would accept hubcaps!

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Check out "Wheel Vintiques" They have a lot of 16" and 17" steelies. I'm running 17x7 on my bronco. They're not cheap but if you find something you like search the part number on summit and jegs for the best deal.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure you need to change? Have you already assembled it all and found that clearance is an issue? Never had a problem with my F150 steering arms with 15x7 wheels with approx. 3.5" backspacing. Usually 11.5" wide tires.
It's just not an issue in my case.

Now, if you have the '76 and '77 Bronco knuckles, their steering arms are a completely different animal.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keep in back of your mind, the 15s, 16s are slowly getting phased out, so get what you want the first time

fvb100

I got one of the speedway wheels to check but it will not be a wheel you can easily use with uncut quarters because of the 4" backspace. They are sticking out just to much.

I spoke with Rockyroads about their smoothy wheels. They are 17x7 and have just a little more backspace to make them fit for uncut quarters. The upside besides the backspace is the fact that there is a light weight BFG 265/70/17 available.

Hi,

Best luck/Anders

fvb100

I just read in your profile you cut the 17's up to get the right backspace? :eek:

Check out "Wheel Vintiques" They have a lot of 16" and 17" steelies. I'm running 17x7 on my bronco. They're not cheap but if you find something you like search the part number on summit and jegs for the best deal.

snoddas

I got one of the speedway wheels to check but it will not be a wheel you can easily use with uncut quarters because of the 4" backspace. They are sticking out just to much.

I spoke with Rockyroads about their smoothy wheels. They are 17x7 and have just a little more backspace to make them fit for uncut quarters. The upside besides the backspace is the fact that there is a light weight BFG 265/70/17 available.

Great info.
Just wonder - the OEM bronco steel wheel (15x5.5") have 3.5" back space? Not sure but assume.
If. They should have the same 2" out as the 16X6" speedway steel wheel. I may be wrong.
This comparing with same profil height of the tire of course.

Shouldnt be any different then.

Thanks/Anders

fvb100

Great info.
Just wonder - the OEM bronco steel wheel (15x5.5") have 3.5" back space? Not sure but assume.
If. They should have the same 2" out as the 16X6" speedway steel wheel. I may be wrong.
This comparing with same profil height of the tire of course.

Shouldnt be any different then.

Thanks/Anders

16x6 might be working but I am going for a 7” wide wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braifab

Loc.
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Keep in back of your mind, the 15s, 16s are slowly getting phased out, so get what you want the first time

x2 as my tire/wheel supplier told me it would be easier to find 17" tires as time goes by, not to mention a broader selection of tires. Having said that there is a bit of sticker shock for a good set of wheels and some nice size tires. These are 315-70R 17

Attachments

• tire wheel.jpg
    tire wheel.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 60

fvb100

Het these 17x7 from http://thewheelsmith.net

0bebac7e33182813c004518c2e76ba5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fvb100

Price is around 230 + shipping depending on what size you order. Powder is 50 per wheel.

The center is OEM style to fit ford 10 1/4" (or is it 10 1/8") caps. So the classics will fit this without modifications.

The original Bronco cap does not use this center but goes al the way to the edge of the 15" wheel. So it will not fit this 17".

Nice! Price? Do stock hubcap fit?

/Anders

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
What would be cool...Bronco venders...is pull a pontiac style rim size increase. Pontiac used a 14" center in a 15" rim I believe in 1970.

As in the hub cap can snap into a 16 or 17 inch steelie.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I just read in your profile you cut the 17's up to get the right backspace? :eek:

Haha, yea. It was pretty hard to spend the money knowing I was going to have to cut them apart. Mine is an odd application so no one made what I wanted off the shelf.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Nice wheels!! So did you get them powder coated Wimbledon White at the factory?

Which dog dish hubcaps are you considering?

Please be sure to post a picture of them installed.

Nice! Price? Do stock hubcap fit?

/Anders