• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170ci 3spd to 302v8 auto!!

la hi

I have A 1966 170ci 3on the tree, and I bought a 302ci with a c4 attached. I would like to know what adjustments will be made to make this work. Aside from removing the clutch pedal and the column shift lever .
Is it too long (I can't find the length of the 302/c4 vs the 170/3 spd.
WILL I have to make new motor monts and the drive shaft?
What other problems will I have?
The purpose of the auto would be stoping on hills and get going again. Otherwise I could stay with the three on a tree until I find a 4 speed manual. I would like to go on the highway sometime.
thanks
larrh

Superwoody

Loc.
Skyline
Most of the Bronco shops will have the 6cyl to V8 motor mounts, I'm not sure if one place has some better than others?? As far drive shaft IDK

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Motor mounts will need to be changed and depends on if you go floor shift if not the column and the petal assembly also starter and flex plate but drive shafts should be the same that's about it.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
6 cylinder adapter should be replaced with V8 model because the 6 cy moves the engine closer to the firewall. Also may need to modify the core support to remove the 6 cy radiator mount and replace with V8 brackets.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
been years since running buddy & I did his. But yes need new motor mounts . Then a V8 radiator & SHROUD & YOU MAY HAVE TO MOVE OR ADJUST THE CORE SUPPORT. His for drive shafts we swapped the front & rear yokes. I've never read anyone else do that but it worked on his. & YOULL NEED THE AUTO STEERING COLUMN. HIS CLUTCH PEDEL is still danging from the dash area. & the wiring harness IT'S BEEN A NIGHT MARE FOR him. I think I'd go with a new PAINLESS. As far as the manuel tran you should be able to find it but then there is another $400.00 adapter to buy.A member here has one for 700.00 & I saw one on local want ads for 150.00 so look around I JUST GAVE$ 100. for 2 when I bought mine.

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
Another option is to swap in a 200 with a good head and a mild cam, it will give you a surprising boost in performance at hiway speeds, and it's a bolt in. Or a 250 but you need a 300-6 flywheel, and sbf bellhousing and clutch....I'm running a 250 i6 with a zf5 and 35" tires, I'm a little slower going up hill but quite happy, and getting good fuel economy 15-17 mpg regularly. A buddy of mine has a 250 with the original 3 on the tree and 33" swampers, and daily drives it 70 mph on the interstate!
I understand you have a 302, but for all the work required..you might look at other options.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
Ok So 2wd trans means you need to completely tear down the trans to change the out put shaft and tail housing. Probably also means your oil pan won't work.
So short list of whats involved.
1 Cut motor mount towers off of the frame weld on new ones.
2 Cut core support, weld V8 radiator mounts. Get V8 radiator. With tranny cooler For auto.
3 New oil pan and pickup
4 Have the trans rebuilt for 4x4 application + T-case adapter + shifter(change column or floor shift)
4B Find manual V8 trans and adapter or 4 speed and adapter, modify floor board and or shifter linkage, find v8 clutch linkage parts. (The I6 shift linkage, and Clutch linkage, and transmission and Tcase adapter are all different than the V8)
5 Rewire engine bay for Later V8(Not bad just time consuming)
6 New exhaust.

7 If you find a V8 3spd trans and adapter, Or you have the C4 built to resemble the original length your Tcase mount and drive shafts stay the same. If you go to an NP435 4spd its only 1" longer you can re drill the Tcase crossmember and drive shafts will still probably work. If you still have the D30 Front end you cant do the drive shaft swap trick because your front will too long but the rear may work in the front, so you may only need 1 drive shaft if you do need one.

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but that is just the big stuff, there a bunch of small stuff like radiator hoses, heater hoses, the fan spacer that is to long or to short, low profile air cleaner or stock bronco v8 one, or body lift.

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

Where can I find a picture or a diagram of how this goes together??

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
Wild horses, and Tom's bronco parts and others, can put together kits for you, you'll need the engine swap kit, the transmission kit, and tcase adapter and possibly an oil pan kit ......both Tom's and Wild Horses catalog's have good tech tips, and kits in them you might also Google for build threads on i6 to v8 swaps......read, read and read some more, lol. And also keep in mind 66 was a sort of one off year, so what works in a 74 may not be so simple on a 66. Good luck!