• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 4BD1T Diesel & NV4500 conversion on 33's

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I got back to work on this project. It's been too long. Started to make a stand to press the drivers side axletube out the the housing. Need to make some tabs so it can bolt together. Possibly could do it tomorrow. I really hope it comes out but not gonna be happy if it don't.

Attachments

• 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Well after a month off working on this I decided tonight the night I'm gonna push out the axle tube. I've been sweating it for since the time I cut the axle in half. Surprisingly it can right out. I've had u joints that were harder to pop out than this was. Needless to say I'm super happy right now!

If you're thinking about doing something like pushing a axle tube out I say go for it. As long as you cut out the plug welds bigger than what they look and can make a way to support the housing safely. I didn't use any heat at all to get it out.

Attachments

• 120.JPG
    120.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Would moving the axle forward a few inches help any. The longer wheelbase would make it drive better also.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Would moving the axle forward a few inches help any. The longer wheelbase would make it drive better also.

It was too much. It would of took like 6" to work. Then I'd have to modify fenders and I think that could be more work than I did with the front housing. My wheelbase will be longer though. I linked the rear end and it got pushed back like 8" I think.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I am a idiot. I did all that work to get the axle tube ground down and when I thought was about ready to weld it I found out that its a inch too long. %) :mad:

Well tomorrow I will get it fixed up and hopefully weld it together.

Attachments

• 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
That's cool man! I would've never thought about doing work to an axle like you are, but the more I work on my bronco, the more confident I'm becoming! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
So last night I got everything welded except 2 of the 6 plug welds that holds in the drivers side axle tube. So today I had to heat it back up and finish it. Pretty happy with the way it came out. At first I was thinking about tacking it with my mig welder and finish welding it using a TIG pulse which is supposed to be the best with minimalizing distortion. Then while thinking about where I was going to tack it I changed my mind and decided to tack it down to the fixture I made would be better. Welded the most I could then let it cool and cut it off the fixture and finished welding it today. Wrapped it up in a fiberglass blanket so the cast iron would cool evenly with the rest of the axle.

Attachments

• 122.JPG
    122.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 127.JPG
    127.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 128.JPG
    128.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 129.JPG
    129.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 130.JPG
    130.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow good work .. Glad you have the skills to do that work.
... I've not read all the later post .. But I hope you post up what it takes to add the NV4500 I've got 2 of them but had decided it was to expensive to install in my Bronco..
5 speed would be the only item I'd like to have added to my BT.
... Well come summer I'll be thinking of the AC again.

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Dude, nice work!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, did u make the internal sleeve a press fit or did u just go with tubing the same size as the id?

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Wow good work .. Glad you have the skills to do that work.
... I've not read all the later post .. But I hope you post up what it takes to add the NV4500 I've got 2 of them but had decided it was to expensive to install in my Bronco..
5 speed would be the only item I'd like to have added to my BT.
... Well come summer I'll be thinking of the AC again.

Dude, nice work!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, did u make the internal sleeve a press fit or did u just go with tubing the same size as the id?

I will document it when I get to that part Papitt. Keep on watching.

Big A I wanted to have it a slight hammer fit but my poor measuring skills messed that up. But it was pretty close. I could hardly see it move around inside the original axle tube. I could feel it though.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
So thinking about getting the axle back under the Bronco yesterday and the problem was I cut one of the radius arms. I really didn't want to but nothing was coming apart and I was pissed. Ordered new rubber wedge things and 2 johnny joints. Considered doing a 3 link set up but said no to because this ain't gonna be a hardcore trail rig. I would be fine doing the regular easy trails is good enough to me. I will be building some arms like this. Only a little longer than originals

543551d1282617840-lets-see-your-home-made-radius-arms-004.jpg

70_Steve

Old Guy
I will be building some arms like this. Only a little longer than originals
Those are/look like "Lars Bars", named after the famous (infamous?) Lars Pederson, who first build that style extended radius arm. His design was a bit of a compromise, with the length being ~ 6" longer than stock.

I have a Word doc file with most of the information from a build thread he did. There's enough information to get them built. I built mine! If you want it, PM me your email address.

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Very nice work Brad! I'm lookin forward to seeing a video of this thing runnin down the road!!!

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Looks great! Are you planning a truss across the longside tube, maybe on the bottom to better support that sectioned in piece of tube?

I've been thinking not doing it but quite a few people think I should. This not gonna be a off road beater. Not sure totally what I'm doing yet. I'm pretty confident it won't break though. I won't truss it from knunckle to knuckle for sure. This is one way I thought of doing it. (Fish plating)

Attachments

• 131.JPG
    131.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those are/look like "Lars Bars", named after the famous (infamous?) Lars Pederson, who first build that style extended radius arm. His design was a bit of a compromise, with the length being ~ 6" longer than stock.

I have a Word doc file with most of the information from a build thread he did. There's enough information to get them built. I built mine! If you want it, PM me your email address.

Funny they look just like I made which also look like Lars Bars ;D good work so far!!

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
I've been thinking not doing it but quite a few people think I should. This not gonna be a off road beater. Not sure totally what I'm doing yet. I'm pretty confident it won't break though. I won't truss it from knunckle to knuckle for sure. This is one way I thought of doing it. (Fish plating)

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about a truss or fish plate. In order for the welded areas to fail, you'd have to go thru the sleeve. If that happens, you've done some serious damage that even a truss wouldn't help. I don't know how long ur sleeve is, but the load will b carried thru each weld and then distributed thru the sleeve. The only thing I would have done, and mayb u did this, would have been to plug weld the sleeve on each side of the joints. That locks n everything as one unit. Your welds look great with plenty of penetration by the looks of the discoloration. If u were building a rock crawler, I'd truss it because the weak point will be inside the axle tube at the edge of the sleeve, but since that is not ur plan I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense. All this said, the great thing about a forum is u can take everyone's input and make ur own decision!!! I'm sure whatever u come up with will do the job!!!

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
IMHO, I wouldn't worry about a truss or fish plate. In order for the welded areas to fail, you'd have to go thru the sleeve. If that happens, you've done some serious damage that even a truss wouldn't help. I don't know how long ur sleeve is, but the load will b carried thru each weld and then distributed thru the sleeve. The only thing I would have done, and mayb u did this, would have been to plug weld the sleeve on each side of the joints. That locks n everything as one unit. Your welds look great with plenty of penetration by the looks of the discoloration. If u were building a rock crawler, I'd truss it because the weak point will be inside the axle tube at the edge of the sleeve, but since that is not ur plan I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense. All this said, the great thing about a forum is u can take everyone's input and make ur own decision!!! I'm sure whatever u come up with will do the job!!!

This is one of the things that I like about posting up what I am thinking about doing. People give there opinions and helps see different views or thoughts. The splice is in the factory axle tubes a little over a inch in each side. I didn't plug weld the sleeve in. I thinking I may put one fish plate on.