• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 4BD1T Diesel & NV4500 conversion on 33's

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
This is one of the things that I like about posting up what I am thinking about doing. People give there opinions and helps see different views or thoughts. The splice is in the factory axle tubes a little over a inch in each side. I didn't plug weld the sleeve in. I thinking I may put one fish plate on.

That's prolly a great idea. I assume you will put it on the bottom of the splice as that's where the axle will be in tension.

I'm anxious to hear how the Isuzu runs and how you like it! I know you're a ways off like me, but this is gonna be an awesome ride!

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Worked on cutting up the radius arms tonight. I got a 3 day weekend so I'm hoping to get the front axle under the truck. I did put on the spindles and hubs back on the axle. I got 2" by 1/4" wall Dom tube for the radius arms I need. Just need the 2 Johnny joints I ordered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
So it's been a longtime since I've been on here and got to work on the bronco. Back in March my house burned to the ground basically. Luckily my garage is detached but the power was off due to the house. I finally got the power to the garage so I can get the bronco put together enough to move it out whenever I buy a new house. Had to run 2.5" conduit to the garage from the street. I ran 200 amp service should be plenty of power.

I got the radius arm ends ready for the new longer tubes and the axle back together and under the truck again. Also got to figure out if I'm gonna salvage the coil buckets.

Attachments

• 136.JPG
    136.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 134.JPG
    134.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 137.JPG
    137.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 138.JPG
    138.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
That sucks about your house man.As far as the coil buckets,you could probably make some better ones pretty easily and could build a little lift into them while you're at it.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
WH and Duff both make a heavy duty coil bucket. From the looks of your fabrication skills, I bet you could make a clone set pretty cheap and easy.

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Man, sorry to hear about ur house. Glad it wasnt a total loss across the board! Well, I bet working on the Bronco is a good distraction with all u have goin on!!!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Sorry to hear about your house. Looks like a nice build you have. Keep plugging away at it.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I ended up cutting everything that the coil spring was not touching the lower seats and made a plate then drilled and welded together. Tonight I bent some 1.75" OD tube to clear the tires at full turn. I may end up sleeving around that tube for some extra strength but I'm still up in the air about that. Tomorrow I will make the tabs that connect the radius arms to the frame and put the springs back in and then it's on to the drivetrain again.

Attachments

• 140.JPG
    140.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 139.JPG
    139.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I welded the radius arms enough to put the weight of the bronco back on it. Not 100% sure that I want the radius arms like I have them. I think I need an adjustable track bar be cause the one I got doesn't seen to be perfectly centered. I put the two front fenders and hood on to see how much room I got to work with. Made some bars that give me a visual of clearance I got above the engine. They slip into some holes on top of the frame. It's very close but I think it will work. As you can see I got plenty of room under the oil pan which I was very glad to see

Attachments

• 146.JPG
    146.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 145.JPG
    145.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 144.JPG
    144.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 143.JPG
    143.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 142.JPG
    142.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 141.JPG
    141.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Well I was in Wisconsin all weekend. The last couple days I did get back on this project. Got the engine in place and put the low range and transfer case in. I was able to get the transfer case up myself which kinda surprised me. I thought I was going to need help or make a thing for the jack to get it up. I bought a stock rubber mount that fits at the back of the transmission. I will eventually make another support that will go behind the transfer case. Tomorrow I will be working on a crossmember and will bolt to the stock bronco crossmember holes. Shouldn't be too hard and it will be nice to have engine off the hoist.

Attachments

• 151.JPG
    151.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 7
  • 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 148.JPG
    148.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Nice work! Looks like you're making tons of progress!!! It was a great day when I was able to let the Bronco bear the full weight of the engine and tranny!!!

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Finally got this cross member done tonight. It was extremely tricky due to the front driveshaft. Made from 1.75" OD tube, one bent almost 180* and the other piece at 40*. 3/16 plate on the sides with 1/8" gussets. I used four existing holes and made two new 1/2" holes with a nut welded inside the frame. Very happy with how this came out. Tomorrow I'll get a pic of it bolted up but for now it's bed time.

Attachments

• 152.JPG
    152.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 7
  • 154.JPG
    154.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Got the drive train all mounted up and got my brothers to help me put the other top on. Gonna be working on getting the front clip mounted next. I'm planning on making it detachable so when I take the body off it will be easier to work on. I'm kinda lost with the flimsiness of the windshield/firewall area. It's not square with the top. I got to figure out which way is off.

I also measured how long my drive shafts are going to be approximately. The front is 34.75" and the rear is 30.5". The wheelbase ended up being just shy of 99"

Fixed pics

Attachments

• 160.JPG
    160.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 159.JPG
    159.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 158.JPG
    158.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 157.JPG
    157.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 155.JPG
    155.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Looking good

Thanks.

Put the grill and hood on today to see the clearance on got over the engine. It's very close. I may have make a 1/2" body lift to get more comfortable room under the hood. But I got plenty of room in front of the engine for the radiator and intercooler I think. I cut some 1/2" solid bar and used a tab to bolt down the front clip temporarily. This is gonna be the last day I work on this project for a while. After looking around at a few houses I thought if I wanna even stick around here. I'm on shut down from John Deere right now and as soon as I get my house stuff straightened out and daily driver gets a little work done to it I am going to be looking for a job out in Colorado. I've went out there the last two years and I absolutely love it. One of my other hobbies is mountain biking and the stuff around here is a joke, there is no public land to do my off roading stuff either. It's pretty scary thinking I'm going to leave a Deere in which I've worked at for 11 years next month but I'm not happy with the area I live that I want to chance it. I'm in the perfect spot to change things because house fire, single with no kids.

Here's from my trip last year when I was in Frisco CO. I love this pic

Attachments

• 162.JPG
    162.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 163.JPG
    163.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 164.JPG
    164.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 165.JPG
    165.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 167.JPG
    167.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 168.JPG
    168.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 161.JPG
    161.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Nice eb

I just got into mtb'n last year. What do ride?

I got a Canfield dirt jumper. I used to have a Giant Trance until I found out how unsatisfying the trails are around me. The trails around me I would call just hilly dirt paths mostly. I'd like to get into downhill stuff. That is the most fun to me. If I end up moving I am gonna buy a downhill bike. Don't know what I want though.

Colorado75Bronc

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Awesome man!! Hit me up when you move here I live in Colorado Springs and I work for John Deere for 4 Rivers Equipment. If you're still interested in working for John Deere I can let you know when a position opens up in one of our stores. Are you a technician? What part of CO are wanting to move to?

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Awesome man!! Hit me up when you move here I live in Colorado Springs and I work for John Deere for 4 Rivers Equipment. If you're still interested in working for John Deere I can let you know when a position opens up in one of our stores. Are you a technician? What part of CO are wanting to move to?

I'm an inspector at John Deere Seeding. I wouldn't mind working for Deere as long as it would be comparable to what I have now. I welded for 8 years at Deere. I was thinking about applying for the pipefitters union around Denver area. But I'd like to live anywhere along the front range. I got a co worker with a friend in the pipefitters union and says they want welders. Soon as I get my house taken care of I plan out heading out that way to apply on jobs and see what I can get. But yeah let me know if something comes up.