• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Boss 351C new buy

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The upper radiator hose attaches differently on a Cleveland than a windsor, which you can see in your second pic. I thought you were trying to determine between 351C, 351M or a 400? Lol, my mistake.

No I think its more his mistake. He must not read what is posted or the comprehension reading skills are low. The cleveland family was figured out on the first page. To announce he has a cleveland because of the fuel pump bolt locations, however correct is pretty funny and proves he is not paying attention. Something tells me its going to be a long build thread.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finally figured it out. It's a Cleveland!! Easy way of checking.. If the fuel pumps bolt pattern is up and down is a Cleveland & if they are side by side then a Windsor.

Arrrgh. We determined it is a "cleveland family", or 335 series, engine a long time back; they all use that fuel pump pattern. 351C, 351m and 400..all same.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought you were trying to determine between 351C, 351M or a 400? Lol, my mistake.

I thought so too??...because we've known from the first pic post that it has to be one of those three.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well your pictures suck but judging from the width of the intake that is a 351c engine.

But the rear of the dr side valve cover interferes with the booster bracket by a good 1.5" or so and the bracket is notched to clear it. Same as my 400 VC does with my booster bracket. ?

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
the head decks on a C sit right on the timing cover, 351M is elevated about 1". Also, to the right of the dizzy (standing in front looking into the engine compartment) is usually a cast "fin" running from the front of the timing cover to the intake. C's have regular 302 type engine mount bosses on the side of the block, 351M's have 3 pads cast into the side of the block.

The 400 doesn't require a letter designation since Ford only made one 400ci engine. The 351 however does need one since Ford made 3 different 351ci engines, 351W, 351C and lastly the 351M. The M does stand for Modified since that is exactly what it is, a modification of the 400(3.5" stroke, instead of 4&quot. The reason for this was the lack of enough 351ci motors to meet production needs and for use as a light truck engine due in part to it's large tranny bolt pattern.

But a really fast and easy way to figure this out is simple,.....TAKE A PHOTO OF YOUR MOTOR MOUNTS!!!!

A cleveland uses normal sbf motor mounts, a 351m-400 don't.

And yes, a 351c will bolt right up to 302 motor mounts.

OP
OP

351Boss

Loc.
Honolulu
First of all my mistake. You are all very right. I didn't realize just how confused I was.. I was thinking by saying it was a Cleveland that 351c meant the same thing. Now I realize after after y'all's calling (embarrassing) that I have 3 possible motors. Thanks Deano for the post earlier with a break down of the engine types. When I read about the engine codes and I finally realized how lost I was. Back on track folks. Not quite as dumb as I sound..just extremely new to this! I'm coming around.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Look right where the red arrow points in this pic. See where the "fin" sticks up? If you have that fin, it is either a 351m or a 400. None of the Clevelands got the fin, but some of the 351ms & 400s didn't get it either, so it is only a sure thing if it is there.

351m-ridge-100_5482.jpg

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Are my posts showing up??? ?:?

Many M-block (351M/400) engine blocks have a 5/8" tall raised web just left of the distributor hole, on the top of the block. However, not all M-blocks have that web,
Some people say you can distinguish an M-block from a 351 Cleveland block by that web. It's true that no 351 Cleveland blocks have that web, but not all M-blocks do either and same with the fin. While presence of the web&fin rules out a 351 Cleveland, absence of the web&fin does not rule out an M-block.

MOTOR MOUNTS!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
No worries it happens. The guy I bought my bronco from had several people come look at it before I bought it. It was advertised as a 302, but three of the guys that came to look at it were 100% sure that it was a 351w.`They brought diagrams and everything trying to convince him. He finally just has to disprove one guy by using a 351w firing order on the dizzy and it wouldnt run.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
That's the reason I'm through with this Poser Thread -- he's got 3-5 definate ways to tell if it's a Cleveland and doesn't seem to go there.
Motor mounts and bell housing and casting #s are positive ID
SHX

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
312 Y block, that my have the motor in backwards, post a pic and some serial #'s quick

Ask and ye shall receive, sort of.....lol. My friend just started reworking his grandpa's old F series wheat truck, 1955. Wrong carb, but it runs.

photobucket-49864-1373929623769_zpse883640a.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ask and ye shall receive, sort of.....lol. My friend just started reworking his grandpa's old F series wheat truck, 1955. Wrong carb, but it runs.

photobucket-49864-1373929623769_zpse883640a.jpg

Nice looking flathead V-8! What is that..an 8BA?

:p

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Pretty sure thats a 429 cleveland. They only put one in a bronco. Looks like this guy has found the missing Boss bronco. Lucky Bassturd.