• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1971 Boss 351C new buy

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
You can't tell its a boss 351 just by looking at it. If I remember right the block numbers can't really tell you.
That looks like a 400.

But chance's are that's a normal Cleveland if it is one...the boss's are so rare and so are the car's they almost never separated them.

I was building one for the 71boss mustang I had before I sold the car.

I finished the motor and its now in my dads 64 ranchero.

I found very little info on the net about the motor but found a crap load in old books.

There are a few things that make a Cleveland a boss Cleveland
#1 is heads
#2 is solid lifters
#3 is the cam
#4 is the 4bbl intake.

Rip that motor apart and we can go from there.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Casting #s should tell you if it's a "Cleveland " or "M" block. Not sure if they will tell you 2v version vs Boss - But--
I just "goggled' it { but didn't verify} and came up with
1970-1974- DOAE -2 bolt and 4 bolt mains
1971- D1ZE-A,D1ZE-B - Boss 351 C
1972-1974 -D2AE-DA ----HO 351c
1972-1974- D2AE-CA -- Cobra Jett

OP
OP

351Boss

Loc.
Honolulu
Thanks for all the help and feedback. Yeah maybe a profile name change is coming... I tried to locate the engine number on the back of the engine and this is the number I found: 14219035. There was a little rust on the numbers so if this doesn't look right I can reinvestigate! One thing I did notice was the offenhauser intake (somebody mentioned that earlier). Thanks again folks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dude, if your/this Bronco .. is Yellow .. you got " Spidee " ... Tom S. Old EB.. ? ?

Are there any threads hearabouts on Spidee's build by any chance? Might save the OP some time digging into part numbers if we can just reference the original build.

Paul

bax

Contributor
Old Member
show me a picture of the block on the drivers side next to the distributor and I will tell you what it is.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
OK here is what to look for Picture one is a 351 C look there is not a raised casting "bar" on the top of the block next to the distributor hole

picture 2 is a 400 / 351m block see the raised bar on the block. Easy way to tell a 400 from a 351c. The 400 block is taller and you can see it in the casting when you compare them

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 113
  • agfor351clb.jpg
    agfor351clb.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 113

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Even if it is a 400M I wouldn't relegate it to the "boat anchor" category :)
Some of those guys in the SE are getting 400ft lbs of torque out of them with mild engine builds.
I think it was Hot Rod mag that took a 400M and did a "custom" engine build and got some real impressive horsepower and torque numbers.
Not wanting to Goggle it again ; i'll go by memory - %) - I read there were 1800+ Boss 351Cs built and there are 400+ that are licensed/registered -- so that leaves approximately 1400 unaccounted for.:)
SHX

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even if it is a 400M I wouldn't relegate it to the "boat anchor" category :)
Some of those guys in the SE are getting 400ft lbs of torque out of them with mild engine builds.

...and some of us right here on CB are running 400s in our EB's that get a good bit more than 400 ft-lbs. ;)

oh..and its just a 400...no "M" after. Ford only made the one 400.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
...and some of us right here on CB are running 400s in our EB's that get a good bit more than 400 ft-lbs. ;)

oh..and its just a 400...no "M" after. Ford only made the one 400.

"Noted" - 400 no M :) I did a little reading about the relationship/history of the 351c ,351M and the -- 400 :) . It was more interesting than I figured ; gave me a new appreciation of some of Fords "other" motors.
A few years ago Hot Rod said the 400 was definitely an overlooked /unsung option worth building.
My '68 had the 351C in it when I bought it 8-10 years ago - the more I learn about it and the more I drive it the more I like it.
SHX

OP
OP

351Boss

Loc.
Honolulu
So here are the pictures from the driver side. Hopefully this will solve this great mystery I've put on all of us. If not then its time to take it apart a little and check some of the things ya'll told me already.
i1458_image3.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Oh - one of THOSE threads . Well thanx for at least giving us the motivation to do a little reading/research.
SHX

bax

Contributor
Old Member
So here are the pictures from the driver side. Hopefully this will solve this great mystery I've put on all of us. If not then its time to take it apart a little and check some of the things ya'll told me already.
i1458_image3.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well your pictures suck but judging from the width of the intake that is a 351c engine.

OP
OP

351Boss

Loc.
Honolulu
Yeah sorry about the bad picture quality. I appreciate all help with this. Now it's time to work on her! I plan to do everything myself, so it will take a little time. I'm sure y'all will see me in the tech section when I hit a wall..

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Ill try and find my old books that shows the difference in heads and post em up.

But your dead giveaway is if you drop the pan and you have 4bolt mains

If you do, chances are you got a boss351c

OP
OP

351Boss

Loc.
Honolulu
Finally figured it out. It's a Cleveland!! Easy way of checking.. If the fuel pumps bolt pattern is up and down is a Cleveland & if they are side by side then a Windsor.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The upper radiator hose attaches differently on a Cleveland than a windsor, which you can see in your second pic. I thought you were trying to determine between 351C, 351M or a 400? Lol, my mistake.

Deano

Bronco Guru
The heads will make the motor run different you have the 4V heads with closed chamber or open chamber and a 2.19 intake valve or you have the 2V heads open chamber with a 2.04 intake valve and there is a aulstrailan head that is a 2V closed chamber with 2.04 valve that is a very good head I found a chart
utuzaqur.jpg
and this is just the heads.