• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 questions: bolt-on rear view mirror and rear axle hose

Daniel78

Hey Bronco dudes! I have a couple things I need some help with.

First, my rear view mirror keeps popping off. I'd much rather have a bolt-on mirror, and it turns out my brother's Bronco actually has a bolt-on mirror. We don't know if his mirror is original or what, but either way I'd like one like his. Does anyone know of a bolt-on rear view mirror for old Broncos? Wild Horses doesn't seem to have one.

Also, I just noticed a broken hose coming out of my rear brake box. I have a little box (on the rear axle) where the brake line is split into two brake lines that go to each rear brake. Well, there's another hose that comes out of the back of this little box, and it's cut. I'm not sure how long it's been cut or what the heck its for. Any ideas? My brakes still work, but I don't want to drive until this is figured out.

Last edited:

Itsa67

The hose is for the rear axle breather and is independent of the brakes...just has a junction at the same spot. I would replace the hose but it isn't going to mess with the brakes (but it is important for the rearend to keep it from taking on water etc.). As far as the rearview thing I'm not sure where to get a bolt on type.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is special mirror glue that will hold if the glass is absolutely clean first. Run the new breather hose way up high and loop the end back down a little so you don't injest any water during stream crossings.

OP
OP
D

Daniel78

The hose is for the rear axle breather and is independent of the brakes...just has a junction at the same spot. I would replace the hose but it isn't going to mess with the brakes (but it is important for the rearend to keep it from taking on water etc.).

Thanks Itsa67! Glad to know the busted hose won't affect my brakes, even though it's still something I plan on fixing soon.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
I was wheeling with a guy with an old Landcruiser that had a stock bolt-on rear view mirror, and he mounted a second bracket upside-down on the top of the dash, and he moved the mirror to the dash when he folded down the windshield. I thought that was cool and you could make it work on an EB.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
bolt on review was a 66 thing
bolted on the windshield frame between the vac vipers
mines out of state or i'd post a pic

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have had excelent luck with the glue on mounts, if done right.
You get a glue kit from any parts store for mounting the mirror.
Clean it with a razor blade then with the cleaning stuff in the kit. NO FINGERS!!!! Keep it clean, no finger oils!!!
Glue it in place. Mush the glue in good, but not so hard you squeeze all of it out. Tape it in place. Ignore "ready to use in 2 hours" BS they print on the package. Park it in the sun and let the UV light cure that stuff for at least 24 hours. After that the glue is strong. I have had a few where I yanked the mirror off hoping to break the glue, it pulled a divot of glass off the windshield. That glue is strong, but only if done right.

OP
OP
D

Daniel78

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Regarding the glue, I tried it once and it worked for a while, but the ball joints on my mirror were so damn tight that the glue broke before the mirror swiveled. So I guess I gotta loosen up my mirror swivel first.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I got a bolt on rear view mirror from JC Whitney for $7 that looks very familiar to the link to the one that 73Stallion posted.....its the same one for half the price.

PBR

Loc.
SoCal
i am running the same bolt on mirror as ben (73stallion) and it works great and you can't beat the price.