• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

250 in a Bronco

Passauf

Anybody running a I-250 in a bronco ?? If so what did you do for the oil pan??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 144, 170, 200 and 250 are the little straight 6
The 240 and 300 are the big ones.

The 250 is a little big of an oddball, not exactly using the same parts as the small of the family, kinda like the 351 is the same family as the 260, 289, 302 but has just enough odd stuff that it is one of it's own. For straight 6 info I just refer people to www.fordsix.com and let them register and read the tech sections. They know a lot of what parts to get off what to make things happen.

OP
OP
P

Passauf

I 250

I have been to fordsix and the members say to go to classic broncos to get your answers to the 250 in a Bronco. The problem seems to be with the oil pan fitting with the front housing.
I was just trying to find out if anybody has actually done this swap and see what pan they used.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I kept the pan that came with it ('74 Grenada 250 IIRC). However, I had 6" of lift so pan clearance was not an issue.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In the above there is mention of the engine used in trucks. Are any of the trucks rear sump? Next place I would look would be an Econoline van, they have had a bunch off odd stuff and maybe something there. Last choice, do like the old 351W conversions. Cut and splice oil pans.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My neighbor did a 250 I-6 swap from his 200 that he blew up. He found a "too good" deal on the 250 and went for it. The swap that he had planned would take a couple of weekends ended up taking him months after fabbing all of clutch linkage mounts and making his own oil pan.

After seeing him do all that work, I'd go another way...

FYI, his is unlifted and uncut, so the clearance issues were plenty.

Last edited:

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
friend of mine here has a 250 in his 68 and has a 2-barrel on it and it pulls hard he did lose a few mpg because of the carb he went to

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my dad had a 250 out of a maverick in his bronco. no shortage of power at all. he did have to put a 3.5" lift on to clear the oil pan.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
When I bought mine, it had a 250 in it. It used the stock motor mounts and a 302 bellhousing. The stock oil pan was used and I could only see just a little bit of rubbing from the pan to the front axle. The only real problem I noticed was the fact that you had to run a cowl induction hood to get the air filter on. Other than that, it looked pretty straight forward. Ran like a champ too.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
In the above there is mention of the engine used in trucks. Are any of the trucks rear sump? Next place I would look would be an Econoline van, they have had a bunch off odd stuff and maybe something there. Last choice, do like the old 351W conversions. Cut and splice oil pans.
only two wheel drive

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I have an old parts Bronco that has a 250 in it. I used to run great but I'm willing to bet it is stuck now. The 250 was from a Maverick.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I 250 in a Bronco Man I miss mine. 1 5/8 longer stroke with a 2" body lift it fits fine all but the oil pan. If I had it to do over I would pony up for a CUSTOM OIL PAN rather than a 5.0 swap. on Broncofix there is a post about putting EFI on a 250 too. hands down best 4X4 engine I ever had in my Bronco. ( Flame suit on why do Jeeps have 258?)

WILD CHILD

Loc.
las cruce
When I put a 250 in mine I cut the bottom of the 200 pan and welded it to the top half of the 250 pan. I took a piece of 1" plywood and bolted the the 250 pan to it to keep the rails in place and stop warping then cut them in half and brazed them together.

To get the pick up right I tacked it in place were I thought it should be then wadded up aluminum foil in the bottom of the pan and put the pan it in place, when you take the pan off you can measure the aluminum foil to see the position.

If you have any question give me a call at (866) wild-child.

Sam

Juntura

250 I6

I emailed Tracy a couple of years ago and asked him some 250 questions- he was really helpful and explained that he modified the oil pan similar to what Wild Child explained in the post above.

I have heard varying reports regarding body lifts and hood bubbles/scoops to clear the carb/airfilter. From what I have gathered on Fordsix you need to elongate the stock motor mount towers to let the motor sit lower down between the frame rails. I am sure a stock offset air filter doesn't hurt.

Now I have a question for you all- I finally found a running 250 in a maverick in a junk yard, but it is connected to a C4. I want to run a manual transmission in my '66 (currently 170ci), what flywheel will I need. Is this an easy fix that I am over thinking? I have tried to post this question on FordSix, but forgot my login and have had problems re signing up. Anyway, if someone could walk me through this part I would really appreciate it.

WILD CHILD

Loc.
las cruce
I used a flywheel and clutch from a 300 six.

As for hood clearance I added a 1" body lift so that I could run the stock air filter as I had to pass smog but I think I may have been able to get buy with a low profile air cleaner.