• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2nd aux. fuel tank

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Due to my bumper and tow hitch (attached to a crossmember infront of the rear fuel tank) I don't think I can get the 23 gallon rear tank. I was thinking about modifying the passenger side to have 2nd aux fuel tank. Has anyone done this? foresee any issues?

at 7MPG I could use it!

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Is it an option to switch your hitch to the Duff hitch? I've heard it fits with the 23 gallon and seems like less work.

Side note - the BC Broncos tank's the best upgrade I've done so far...

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I'll post some pics of my hitch setup. Maybe it will work??? Does the BC tank hang lower than the stock tank? If so, how much?

Trying to drive on a trip @7MPG with a 12 gallon tank is a joke!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I'll post some pics of my hitch setup. Maybe it will work??? Does the BC tank hang lower than the stock tank? If so, how much?

Trying to drive on a trip @7MPG with a 12 gallon tank is a joke!

i don't think so if it does it isn't much, and if you have a body lift you can mount it up higher as it is adjustable. not sure about your bumper but mine fits with the reciever. a pic could help though

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've see a few 2nd aux tanks biggest issue will be finding a filler that will work for the pass side. I've seen a few that just had the filler in the wheel opening.
The BC tank and any other 23 gallon tank will hang down lower than a stock tank you cant fit 23 gallons in a 14 gallon space. If you could then the stock tank would be 23 gallons. A stock tank hanges down even with the top of the axle housing a 23 gallon tank is about 6-8 in lower.

I'd removing the bracing and install a 23 gallon tank vs putting in a second aux its just hookey to have one on the pass side.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
It would be a PITA to move the truck to put fuel in both sides. Hmmm. 6-8 inches lower wont fit. I don't have, nor do I want a body lift.

I will get some pics

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Not sure if this helps, but here's a shot with my tank (and hitch).

It clears where the red arrows are by the hitch (once mounted) by about 1/8"

Attachments

• DSCN3970 edit.jpg
    DSCN3970 edit.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3976.jpg
    DSCN3976.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN3975.jpg
    DSCN3975.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Aero Tanks in Corona, CA will sell you an aux tank for the passenger side. It does have the filler neck in the wheel opening.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Several Broncos in AZ have had a 3rd tank. filling both sides wouldn't be any different then most any '73-87 Chevy pickup. Considering the fun it is just getting a Bronco to accept fuel anyway I don't think it will be much of an issue.

I have thought about building a custom tank inside the frame where the exhaust normally runs (or the same on drivers side). Single exhaust under passenger floor makes that a valid thought. But a 23 gallon main with new hitch and bumper won out years ago.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
A third tank can be filled from the drivers side, I used to have a 3rd tank and was able to fill both aux tanks fron the front filler

A previous owner made a Y that allowed you to fill the left front tank, then you just pulled the nozzel out, repositioned it a little and it would fill the right front tank. It worked, but had a big tube running all the way across the underside of the truck. Plus you have to get a different valve that allaws you to hook up all the tanks.

I sold all that crap to a local memebr a few years ago

Also you can run a BCB 23 gallon tank with a little work, even with a trailer hitch

here some pics of my filler setup, and my trailer hitch with amy BCB 23 gallon tank

Attachments

• hitch3.JPG
    hitch3.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 21
  • hitch2.JPG
    hitch2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 22
  • hitch.JPG
    hitch.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 21
  • fueltank4a[1].JPG
    fueltank4a[1].JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 22
  • fueltank3[1].JPG
    fueltank3[1].JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 20
  • fueltank2[1].JPG
    fueltank2[1].JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 22
  • fueltank[1].JPG
    fueltank[1].JPG
    205 KB · Views: 25

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or you can do this if you can find one! ;D

Attachments

• gas 1.jpg
    gas 1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 31
  • gas 2.jpg
    gas 2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 23
  • gas 3.jpg
    gas 3.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 26

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man some of those tanks you guys have sure are hanging down a bunch .. We put a 23 gal. on Running Buddies Bronco several years ago ..You can see it but I sure don't think it hangs anywhere near as deep as those pictured earlier.
......Grillmaster you said you didn't want a lift .. I Just put a one inch of top of my stock bushings ..I like it better than the stock height or the 2 or 3 inch lifts.
... But I say check some more pictures of the 23 gallon tanks .. Chuck@ BCB, Am I wrong, do most hang that low..

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Post #7 looks pretty low. It looks like a BC tank with the adjustable unistrut type clamp. I can't see how they even got the fill hose to clear the frame with it that low.

It was definitely tight. However the BC Tank is up to within an 1/8" of the floor of the back. No way it will go any higher.

I called Chuck when I installed because it seemed low to me too. Since I'm 95% on road it doesn't impact me much. My preference would be for it to be higher though too :-[

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
BC tanks are narrower because the adjustable brackets are between the tank and the frame. In order to make their tanks hold 23 gallons like the other brands, the tank had to be made deeper, reducing your ground clearance. The only way to make it higher is to put in a pretty good body lift.