• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2nd dairy.. secondary.. heaters . Whose got one .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK My hunting buddy & I go hunting in New Mexico each year.
so in years past His Bronco has always all but over heated & We've had a decent heater .. But he had issues with it 2 years ago & When we got home he had a bunch of work done to it .
It used to run 205 most of the time .
SO HE got a new special radiator & a bigger solid fan.& he said today that the fan in direct not not on a clutch ..
.... But then he told me that heater doesn't barely function now . He says it doesn't get past 170* now .. & We're going to freeze this year hunting .
... WE Didn't get to go hunting last Nov as my son passed away from cancer.
SO He'd just never told me about his heater issue.
...... SO DO ANY of you guys use secondary heater.
He has a heater core that's not to old & upgraded blower motor ..
But I'm thinking some of you have posted using an after market heater.
..... & If so where does the heat locate ..
As we have almost every thing we own with us when we hunt this ranch in New Mexico . It's app.50K ACREAS .. & I BELIEVE We'll be the only 2 people on it this year. Some years there may be 6 or so on it. But several other years we're the only 2 they let hunt.
..... THE Old man & Woman that own it .. WHEN I ASK IF WE NEEDED to walk & carry out anything we shot.. THEY LAUGHED AT US & Said HELL BOYS this damn Place is too big to walk . that'll kill you . Just drive any where you take a notion to go.
......SO SOME TIMES WE'RE Sight seeing .. Next hour we're rock crawling & THEN we hunt . But Now we've been out there 18 years now 2 years we've not got to go at last minute.
... But it was 11 degree there this morning & We've woke up & it'll only be ''0''
more than once.
so tell us where to buy a heater .
Thanks.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Even if you mount 4 heater cores in that Bronco you won't get warm... it's the 175 deg water that won't be hot enough to warm you.

Here's your fix. Simple, easy, proven and did I mention simple?

Cardboard. Cut a pc of cardboard so it will cover the ENTIRE radiator and then trim the top of it so it will fit between the upper rad mounts. Make sure you cut the top leaving appr 3" extra length so you can fold it over the top of the radiator between the upper mounts as that keeps it in place. Paint it black so any rain/snow doesn't make it soggy. Install it and you will have HEAT! (and nobody will even know it's there)

Seriously. I ran my Bronco this way for probably 20+ yrs in our zero to -40 deg winters as it was my ONLY car and/or the car I drove to work every day. Iwas "blessed" with one of the rare 351W's that ran cold- all the time! No cardboard, no heat.

Most gas pickups back in the '60s- 80s did the same thing. The fancy guys stitched up a nice vinyl black snap on cover but the rest of us used cardboard.

Keep tabs on the temp gauge but I'll bet you won't ever over heat... you can always trim a couple inches off the bottom exposing the radiator to find that happy medium after a couple days of hunting.

Try it before you go. It will work.

Good luck, have fun. Sorry to hear about your son... :( Our kids should always outlive us...

JSBX

Contributor
He could try a 190 degree thermostat but my Dad ran with cardboard in front of the radiator in the winter and it work great.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
^^ This.
Sounds like he needs a higher temp thermostat. I assume it's a V8. 170 is really low temp for a Bronco.

Broncomt

Here in Montana we called the "cardboard thingy" a North Dakota winter front.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Now that brings back memories. Had almost forgot about that trick..

Good stuff

Even if you mount 4 heater cores in that Bronco you won't get warm... it's the 175 deg water that won't be hot enough to warm you.

Here's your fix. Simple, easy, proven and did I mention simple?

Cardboard. Cut a pc of cardboard so it will cover the ENTIRE radiator and then trim the top of it so it will fit between the upper rad mounts. Make sure you cut the top leaving appr 3" extra length so you can fold it over the top of the radiator between the upper mounts as that keeps it in place. Paint it black so any rain/snow doesn't make it soggy. Install it and you will have HEAT! (and nobody will even know it's there)

Seriously. I ran my Bronco this way for probably 20+ yrs in our zero to -40 deg winters as it was my ONLY car and/or the car I drove to work every day. Iwas "blessed" with one of the rare 351W's that ran cold- all the time! No cardboard, no heat.

Most gas pickups back in the '60s- 80s did the same thing. The fancy guys stitched up a nice vinyl black snap on cover but the rest of us used cardboard.

Keep tabs on the temp gauge but I'll bet you won't ever over heat... you can always trim a couple inches off the bottom exposing the radiator to find that happy medium after a couple days of hunting.

Try it before you go. It will work.

Good luck, have fun. Sorry to hear about your son... :( Our kids should always outlive us...

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what they said, I would go with 195 T-stat for sure in winter and use cardboard if needed after that. Also if not too much trouble post some hunting pics with the Bronco, nothing better than seeing Broncos used for what they were meant for. Good luck on the hunt and keeping warm

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I remember my dad putting cardboard on the front of his 79 F150 in the winter. It had the 300 6 cylinder and never got warm! Even when it was new!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Yep, we used to run cardboard on my dads ole 60 chevy... I did it on my 52 GMC a couple times too but the 190 degree thermostat did the trick on it but our winters are pretty darn mild.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The Mojave heaters will run you out of a bronco on low setting.

I used to run one in the winter with soft doors and soft top and it would melt the snow off the top and windows on high.

Really easy install, not as easy as the cardboard trick but easy.

nvrstuk

Contributor
The problem isn't the t-stat temp for those saying put in a higher temp tstat.

The problem is the engine never actually never gets up to temp because the amount of water going thru the heater core and more importantly, the bypass hose is enough to cool the engine in those temperatures outside. You can put in whatever tstat temp you want and it wont matter because it will never get UP to temp!!

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK FORDBRONC.... That's what I was questioning when I wrote this post.
SO DOES that unit have hot water running to it . Or does it work off some other liquid gel & electricity .
... Wonder if it can run a steady 10 hour shift.
All I could find to read was 12V . & 12000 btu. That seems like a lot of heat to me . & It had 3 speeds . But it doesn't say anything about hooking up to heater hoses or where it locates .. It did say it's 10'' by 9.5''.
..THANKS GUYS. I'm trying not to freeze .

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
MAN I SEARCHED for Mojave heaters .& there a world of post on them .
I READ POST FROM TITO .
& 67stallion . & several more . & A lot of the pictures would still pull up.
THOSE post were from 2008.
wow.
I even found one of mine from 2010 I think . or it may have been 2014.

nvrstuk

Contributor
You could always take a round infared propane heater (small propane cylinder screws on to it) with ya but you must 100% anchor it so it can't roll on its side and catch the floor or clothing or anything else on FIRE!! ;( IT would heat the inside of your Bronco w/o any issues but it would be hot and unless setup so it wouldnt light anything on FIRE it would work great!

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri

Deano

Bronco Guru
I put seat heaters in my seats and at -2* I was nice and warm to drive around
2e852ccded2f7eb2539e679a2bccd5d7.jpg