• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2nd oil pan gasket, still leaks!!!

Oside66

Loc.
Vista, CA
I have a freshly built 302, brand new Milodan Oil pan, and 1 peice milodan pan gasket and on first start up it leaked from the back of the pan in front of the scatter shield. Pulled the pan gasket, even changed the rear main seal since I had it opened up. The rear main seal looked good, but replaced it anyway. The pan gasket I replaced with a Felpro 1 peice, and now it leaks from the front and rear of the pan!! I didn't want to use ant rtv sealant, but I'm thinking this may be the only fix...? Any Ideas or suggestions?

Spartan

Loc.
Backwoods, KS
Makes sure all your surfaces are square (pan rails might be tweaked enough to cause a leak also make sure your block is square where the pan mounts)

1973steve

Loc.
Croydon, Pa.
I would do what Spartan said about oil mounting surfaces and use a little bit of ATV in the corners (on the front and rear main caps) that should fix it.

OP
OP
O

Oside66

Loc.
Vista, CA
I did check the pan for imperfections, and the block is straight, the areas for the caps and the timing cover are definately the culprits. You can see where the pan doesn't make good contact in those area's. Just wondered if there was another fix other than using sealant

Spartan

Loc.
Backwoods, KS
How much space do you need to clear the caps/timing cover? Is it an 8th" etc?
There's a few options, some better than others, but its dependent on the amount of contact, pics could help.
What timing cover? OE?

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Aftermarket pans are notorious for not being round at the front and rear 'humps'. When I was building my 347, I read several engine build threads where this was evident with the engine on the stand.

Also- RTV is a must at the corners where the bearing caps meet the block. This is a very common area for all engines to leak regardless of make of engine/pan or gasket style.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
X3 on the RTV. That's what it's for. Just think, had you used it the first time you wouldn't be using it the third time. We're not saying gobs, just enough to seal the imperfections. Good luck.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Don't over-torque! If you over-tighten the attach bolts it will deform the pan and seals and cause leaks. x4 on the RTV at transition points especially. RTV is great stuff, and it sure as heck beats a leak.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ford Strokers over on the Corral does not like those pans... Not straight - its got to be the pan, the block isn't the problem...

1973steve

Loc.
Croydon, Pa.
The only other way is to pull engine out and look to see if the oil pan gasket is making contract with the ends. If not you with to trim the gasket down until it makes full contract. I would still use RTV in the corners.

viper982

Loc.
Beaverton
Did you use sealant on your flywheel/flexplate bolts?

I have milodon pan as well and I ended up using rtv on my 1 pc. gasket to stop leaks.

OP
OP
O

Oside66

Loc.
Vista, CA
Thanks for the suggestions, I did use sealant on the transition spots on the first install, timing cover is a brand new aluminum from one of the vendors. I would agree that the oilpan is the problem. $400 brand new Milodan JUNK! I'm going to try RTV down in the "humps" and hope that works, thanks everyone!

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I'm running the same oil pan with a fel-pro one piece gasket and I too had a bad leak from the rear of the pan. I pulled the pan off and cleaned everything up really good, bought a new gasket and put some RTV on the corners and haven't had an issue since. My only complaint with that oil pan is the threaded dipstick, never could find a dipstick with the same thread size so I ended up using a reducer with a Lokar flexible dipstick and it still sucks...

OP
OP
O

Oside66

Loc.
Vista, CA
I had a brand new milodan pan and it leaked also. I had to use a lot of rtv to get it to stop. You definitely don't get what you pay for with milodan. Never again.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I don't have the milodan pan, but I do have the canton racing pan, which is practically the same pan, and had trouble with it leaking on first installation. I ended up doing it exactly the way the instruction said, and so far no leaking. I've talk to canton and they said not to use the felpro 1 pc.

Attachments

• EPSON012.jpg
    EPSON012.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 68
  • EPSON013.jpg
    EPSON013.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2926.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0359.jpg
    DSCN0359.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 53

KyddsPly

Been there. But with a stock pan. Had to replace it twice. Ended up using rtv along the entire pan and a Felpro one piece gasket.

Now it's all good.

Good luck.