• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Gurus / Engine year Idenification

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I am looking at a engine that is for sale and the guy Won it at a Mustang event. He doesnt know much about it. I looked it over good and the rebuild seems to be good to go. The pistons are .030 overbore. With that being said I can get a killer deal on this motor. I will probably pull the cam and put a better suited one in for my Bronco application. What I am trying to figure out is what year this motor may be. There are no markings or casting numbers on the block except where the intake lays on the back of the block and half of that is machined off. I am guessing its later than 74 as the block does not have the mounting casting for the clutch bell crank. The motor was built by AER. The metal tag they put on the motor says *34751*
http://www.aermanufacturing.com/manufac/index.html

IMG_20110602_193900.jpg

IMG_20110602_193741.jpg

IMG_20110602_193626.jpg

IMG_20110602_193614.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You mean '84 instead of '74? Nice looking setup.
Did you look for a number in the casting near the starter area, along the lower flange?
It's a roller block it seems, which could have been converted, but I'm thinking not. And the clutch boss went away somewhere more like '82 or so, didn't it?
That's one of the many things I've forgotten.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Contact AER with the tag number. I would think they should have some records on it. Might not get you the year but probably would get you other important info like compression ratio, cam specs, etc.

OP
OP
Zillacon

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Contact AER with the tag number. I would think they should have some records on it. Might not get you the year but probably would get you other important info like compression ratio, cam specs, etc.

Had the same idea so I sent them an e-mail earlier today. Just waiting to hear from them hopefully.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
My 351w is from AER. I have been running it since about 93 with no problems. They used to do all of the remain work for the Ford dealers but I'm not sure if they still do. My Friends dad used to run the AER in Denver but retired long ago. My friend may still know some guys over there. If you don't get any info back on the email I can ask him if he has a contact there.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
The spider web retainer for the lifters.....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In the lifter valley there is an stanped steel 8-armed "spider" that holds down "dog bones" that keep the lifters aligned so the roller roll on the cam.

Judging from some non-original (gold cad plated) hardware, this engine has been rebuilt. With that in mind there is little telling what parts were put into it. Whatever the rebuilder flet like. But with the original rocker arms, it will be close to stock specs.

backpain

Bronco Guru
How do you know it's .030 over?

Open up the pan and look at the pistons if you want to verify or find out what kind they are - cast, hypereutectic, forged, brand, size, etc

Can check out the rods and crank to identify also.

My guess, unless it was given away as a high-end build, is a machined stock cast crank, hyper pistons, reman stock rods.

But maybe you find some forged stuff and a stroker . . . . .and the price may change :)

OP
OP
Zillacon

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I looked into the plug holes with a flashlight and I could see .030 stamped on the pistons. AER replied and said they dont keep info past 5 years. He is selling it for $600 if someone around Colorado needs a motor.

I found a 96 Explorer motor with 57,000 original miles with everything on it so I am going to purchase that motor in the morning and go fuel injection.