• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 vs 5.0

Dealercut66

Loc.
Hood River, OR
I am looking at putting in a 5.0 from a late 80s Mustang. Will the Advanced Adapters NV3550 kit work on the 5.0? Do they use the same bellhousing and all that? Is there any difference between the 302 and 5.0?

Thanks

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Just a later yeah 302=5.0 and 5.0=302 they just changed how they call it. Metric # suck:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While they are the same engine there are a few changes over the years. The biggest that you will need to pay attention to is engine balance. Typically (but by no means always!) when you say 302 you are usually refering to the old engine balance of 28.8 oz-in counterweight needed to make the engine run smoothly. Starting in about '82 ford changed that value to 50.2 oz-in. About that same time is also when they started refering to the 302 as the 5.0 (that great push to make everything metric). Don't be too worried about the decimal, often they are just refered to as the 28 or the 50 imbalance. What ever you do, you have to match the parts to the crankshaft inside the block. The crankshaft is what determins what balancer and flywheel you need to run.

As for the swap with the newer block, also note that there may be a missing bolt hole for the clutch linkage. It's not a problem that can't be over come. They make brackets to over come that. But it is sure a show stopper when you are in the middle of the swap and run into needing that extra piece.

GnisroH

Loc.
Harrisonburg, VA
Both wildbill and Broncobowsher are right. The 289 is a 4.7L, and the 302 is 4.94L or 5.0L.

The NV3550 kit will work.

You can also get an older 289/302 and put on a late model fuel injection. I've seen it done to a few mustangs with 289s.

OP
OP
Dealercut66

Dealercut66

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Thanks for the great info. I am mainly looking at the 5.0 as I can get one in Portland for $500 with it compression tested and so forth. No intake but they do have the heads on. I bought a 289 this summer for my Bronco that 'ran when it was pulled' I found several broken rings and 1 piston had a melted top part that tore a huge gouge in the cylinder wall. It is so deep that the machine shop says it cannot be bored. So due to that lost money I am looking for a running motor that I can put in now and find another 289 to rebuild later (in a few years). These Mustang 5.0 sound like it will do the job and with the compression tests I should have a better indication of the motors condition.

Thanks again for the info, now to get to work on getting the adapter kit and the motor mounts and towers :)

jwh

Hey guys. Sorry to hijack your thread dealercut, but I'm considering doing the same swap and was just searching for some info on the imbalance issue. Im curious if I could use the crank, balancer and flexplate from the earlier engine in the later model when rebuilding, or would it just be easier to get a 50oz flexplate to mate up to the C4? Isnt there also any issue with the number of bolts the pulleys use? Is there an easy fix for this as well? Feel kinda silly asking some of these questions, but just want to have all the correct info before starting. Thanks

jwh

mr.ee's

from what i've been reading while researching the same swap,

NO.

the rear seal is 1pc not 2.
the crank has a different diameter.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
For a 5 liter NV355- swap you will need

1) A 50 ounce 164 tooth flywheel, I think you want to check out a 87 F-150 with a 5.0 for that flywheel

If you can't find one from a NAPA or other auto parts store, call total performance (586)468-3710 as they can get you a 50 ounce 164 tooth flywheel, though they are a little pricy.

2) clutch rod bracket from wild horses, since a 5 liter doesn't have the threads in the block, like the 302
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/EFI_Clutch_Equalizer_Conversion_Bracket/EFI

3) You may or may not be able to use the Harmonic balencer if you want to run a stock V belt system. If not total performance can get you any harmonic balencer you need, again a pricy option calling them.

Other than that the 5 liter will bolt up to the stock bell housing, and uses the same clutch as a 302

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same question, differences between 302/5.00 for an automatic, is the flex plate different for a c4?

And since I'm asking, I have a 351W in it now, what will I need to go back to the 302/5. for brackets like A/C, P/S, Alt, anything else?

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
There are a couple of significant differences between the venerable 302 and the newer 5.0 that haven't been addressed. All things being equal, the newer E7TE heads and a roller cam equate to higher HP and TQ numbers vs. a stock 302.
Joe

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Same question, differences between 302/5.00 for an automatic, is the flex plate different for a c4?

And since I'm asking, I have a 351W in it now, what will I need to go back to the 302/5. for brackets like A/C, P/S, Alt, anything else?

Why go to a smaller motor? It won't get any better gas milesage and you will have less power.

As for what it would take, depends on what they did to put the 351 in the first time. 3 general options (depending on how the conversion was originally done) are
1) remove the conversion sapcers and use straight spacers
2) nothing but possibly a smaller belt
3) completely different brackets.

As for the harmonic balancer, the 351 has a 28 oz-in balancer on it. Early 302 has the same. Late 5.0 is different.

Just note that converting a conversion gets very difficult since we really don't know what the starting point is.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Some big changes happened in 82.
- Imbalance changed from 28oz to 50oz
- Dipstick moved from the pan to the block
- Rear main changed from 2 piece to one piece
- Clutch equalizer bracket hole was eliminated

Basically at that point, those engines are no longer directly interchangable. That's why I prefer to refer to the early engines as 302, and the later engines as 5.0L.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Some big changes happened in 82.
- Imbalance changed from 28oz to 50oz
- Dipstick moved from the pan to the block
- Rear main changed from 2 piece to one piece
- Clutch equalizer bracket hole was eliminated

Basically at that point, those engines are no longer directly interchangable. That's why I prefer to refer to the early engines as 302, and the later engines as 5.0L.

Not all of that occured in '82. But that is the bastard year.
'80 was the last year for the 28 oz-in, '81 got 50
One piece seal changed in '83
(It is posible to have a split seal 50 oz-in engine)
I have head rumors of the clutch hole eliminated as early as '78
I don't remember the exact time of the dipstick change but I know you are close if not right.

The early 80's were not the best times for fords. There were also some real wierd ignition systems about that same time as well. Versellis offered (for only one year and only on that model) a crank triggered ignition that required a special crank and special block. Good luck finding those other then by accident. It wasn't just Ford that had bad ideas. For some reason in the late 70's Chrysler decided to put an ignition computer on the air cleaner. Nothing like giving a computer lots of heat and vibration