• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 vs 5.0

redline8300

What is the difference between the 5.0 and 302 motor. I have a 77 Bronco that seems to be stock. I also have a late model 5.0 that I pulled out of a Ranger that I got from a buddy. The Ranger motor is healthy with aluminum heads, a higher RPM cam, and some other goodies. I believe he pulled it out of a late 80's early 90's Grand Marquis. Right now I'm looking to do one of three things: a.) change out the heads on the 77 to bump up the compression ratio some and change out the cam and put some of the goodies from the Ranger b.) Change out the cam in the Ranger motor for a lower RPM one and put it into the Bronco c.) pick up a boat 351 from a buddy and build a stroker out of it.

I know that there is no replacement and all, but I'm trying to save some money because the economy isn't going to get any better plus I want to get my C4 rebuilt and hang an Atlas on the back end.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Biggest diff is the roller cam setup and one-piece rear main seal in the 5.0. The later blocks are also lighter because of thinner castings. 5.0 doesn't have the clutch bar mount hole but that doesn't matter with a C4. Deck height may be different too.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
50 oz imbalance as opposed to the 28 on the 302 so you would need a different flywheel

Edit i didn't see you were running a C4. so not sure what you need to do to convert the 5 liter to the C4

You may need to change your Radiator to opposite inlet or get a cross over tube.

You can transfer the 302 timing chain cover, and water pump over to a 5 liter

Last edited:

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
You may need to change your Radiator to opposite inlet or get a cross over tube.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The short answer is the only difference is the name. They started calling stuff by the metric size even though it is still a 302.

Long answer, see all the above. little things changed over time, nothing to do with the name. The 5.0 name existed before the roller cam came out. '84 mustang with a 5.0 is a perfect example. Balance changed around '81. Serpentine reverse rotation I have seen stock as far back as '79 and standard rotation existed up until the mid to late 80's. I know an '84 that still had V-belts.

So no cut and dry answers. The only real answer is the 5.0 is a metric name for a 302.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
i have been telling friends that for years

The short answer is the only difference is the name. They started calling stuff by the metric size even though it is still a 302.

Long answer, see all the above. little things changed over time, nothing to do with the name. The 5.0 name existed before the roller cam came out. '84 mustang with a 5.0 is a perfect example. Balance changed around '81. Serpentine reverse rotation I have seen stock as far back as '79 and standard rotation existed up until the mid to late 80's. I know an '84 that still had V-belts.

So no cut and dry answers. The only real answer is the 5.0 is a metric name for a 302.

Got tired of being called a know it all so I just let them find out the hard way.

Nice to have the years some of the changes were made.

OP
OP
redline8300

redline8300

Thanks all, I had a feeling that there wasn't any difference other than the balance and maybe the water pump besides the two piece rear seal. But like my dad always told me, if you don't know for sure don't talk out of your butt. I'll be grabbing the aluminum radiator from the pile of Ranger Goodies. I'm glad since I already put the saginaw pump on the other motor for a previous project.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
HO 5.0 also runs a different firing order than a regular 302. I am changing my motor now and I had to replace my converter to accomadate the 11.5 50 oz flywheel. I couldnt find a 164 tooth 50oz with the smaller 10.5 pattern

Lime73sport

Loc.
Starke, Florida
U also have to get a new crank pulley so that the V belt will line up unless your runnung a serp. set up. all u have to do to use the stock radiator is switch the bronco water pump over to the HO block

Broncobowsher

Total hack
U also have to get a new crank pulley so that the V belt will line up unless your runnung a serp. set up. all u have to do to use the stock radiator is switch the bronco water pump over to the HO block

That is about half right. While the Bronco waterpump will bolt to the Serpentine timing cover there are actually some differences that will affect cooling water flow and eventually the life of the timing cover.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...nce-between-years-ford-timing-cover-chart.jpg notice how the ports are different on the reverse rotation on the bottom right Picture. Creates turbulence and cavation erosion. Eats the timing cover from the inside out.