• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

347 Stroker Horse Power Numbers?

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While you can make some numbers with the combo he's going to be limited with the throttle body until its tuned for the engine. Either way in a pickup you dont really want max HP numbers. Camshaft choice is critcal the summit setup is way to big for any pickup unless racing. Much less the heads themsleves. With a mild cam suited a pickup and the rest of his setup I would look at about 350 hp. Any more than that and its going to run like crap unless he's running some low gears in the axle.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Just my .02

I think the cam is way to big

and the heads are not right for a Bronco

That cam & head combo is good for a very, very hot Mustang setup or racing, not steet - daily driver or trail

OP
OP
V

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID
It's not a Bronco, it's an '89 F-150...But let's pretend it's in an EB for a second.
He wants Radical. He's looking to drop $3500 in the motor, not including electronics and fuel system tuning, and wants it as HOT as he can get it.
that was the set up he was looking at, and he already has those heads on a VERY healthy 302 It ain't enough for him. He wants a tire smokin' machine. (Like buy stock in Les Schwab)
I think he upgraded his EFI too much for the motor allready. I'll get the specifics in it in the morning.
Got a better setup?

Ranchtruck

You could build a heck of a 351 for that money and it would fit fine in a f150. There's really no reason you couldn't stroke the 351 better than the 302.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
In my opinion with that kind of equipment youre going to exceed the strength of the block. Youd be better off with a 351w.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I'm surprised those heads are listed for 302's. If that not the largest head made by Edelbrock, it's the 2nd.

Look at the volume of that intake runner! 280CC! Read this about the 225cc AFR for reference, it speaks to the size of motor. ~LINK~

I would return those (or sell them) for a set of Victor Jr's, if he's married to Edelbrock, or Brodix/Canfield/AFR/TrickFlow High Ports.

If someone gave me those heads & insisted I use them, I would pair them with a Dart block & 25# of boost & make 1000hp.

Have him talk to an engine builder or a cam designer about the whole package working together. If you're buying new parts with the goal of going fast, might as well design them to all work optimally together.

Last edited:

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Sounds like a poor combo for a pickup/EB,IMO...unless you're gonna be between 5,ooo-7,500 RPM most of the time.. A better head choice would be in the 165-185cc range(intake ports) for it to have any decent power below about 3,500. Torque is what I would shoot for in a heavy pickup/EB...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Simply put it is going to run like crap. A head that large requires a LOT of custom parts. For that head to run good you will need the bottom end to spin somewhere near 9000 RPM. It will run like crap below 6000.

$3500 budget not including fuel or eletronics is no where near enough.

All of this is general stuff, F150, Bronco, mustang, Torino, boat, don't care.

The combo you list. Truck 5.0 intake with some big throttle body, those heads, cam, and stroker. So poorly matched that I would be surprised if it made 200 HP.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Is your buddy redoing the suspension/driveline on the 89 Ford? Putting that much HP in a truck with a stock suspension is sort of a waste of time I would think. Launching is going to produce a lot of wheel hop probably to the point of breaking stuff.

Truck suspension geometry is probably not the greatest for a lot of raw HP. At least it would seem. good luck with the project though. A 347 can rip out some really high HP numbers. Just depends on how much you want to spend I think that more than anything will be the limiting factor. He could probably get 500+ pretty easy with a cash outlay much more if he started putting some type of charger on there.

ETA I missed the 3500 amount... 3500 is not enough to really do anything and the set up he is looking at is for a high spooling vehicle that is running as other have said at high RPM. I just spent 1600 on heads roller rockers and bolts and then close to 800 on intake and a 600 cfm carb. The kit your buddy is looking at will cost him more to get the rest of the engine ready than he is probably willing to spend.

The good news is you can make more usable HP and torque with some cheaper stuff. You can probably stuff 1K HP into an old ford Courier won't be able to do much with it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Better option is a 351 stroker while the heads will still be big it wont be as bad. I'd look at 393 or larger he will get more power with a less radical cam out of the big strokers. But either way its going to cost some $$.
His best option is probably to step up his rear axle gearing to something like 4.56's then he will have tire smoking power with what he currently has. With the right gearing a 4cyl will smoke tires.
Whats he running for a transmission? If its a automatic and hes already got a healthy engine did he put in a higher stall torque converter? If not that is also part of the issue.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Better check the price on a fully assembled set of those heads and intake, 3500 aint even going to cover the cost. by the way, the camshaft dictates how much torque the engine has, If you look at the ls seres motors they have huge ports and valves yet the 5.3 has all kinds of torque. as does the 5.7 hemi. tons of duration on the cam is what kills torque, not port size.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,21428.0.html

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Because what hes asking for powerwise is really only doeable with a 351 stroker. There are a lot of other factors besides just making gobs of power sure the 5.0 stroker can do it but its not going to be streetable.

And port size does make a differance just look at 351C and 302 boss engines even with mild cams they had poor bottom end power.
While I dont know much about LS engines(really dont care) I dont think the 5.3 has the same heads or block as the larger LS engines and if LS heads were that great there wouldnt be much aftermarket cylionder head competition.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since powerband and LS motors were brought up...
We do some towing with Chevy vans at work. Both the little 4.8 and the bigger 6.0 (no 5.3). These are truck applicatiuons, truck motors. Simply put the low end power sucks. Put your foot down, wait for the RPMs and they do wake up nicely for the top end. But when you are on the bottom of the torque curve, it sucks.

Depending on what you are accustomed to a poorly set up big inch motor will still feel impressive. But a well set up big inch motor will completely change your ideas of what a big inch motor really can do. Back when I was a kid my parents had a 4V Clevland 4-speed Torino. Had a hitch and towed a trailer. It was just a V8. Plenty of power for there needs (also had a Pinto and before that a '64½ mustang with the baby 144 I-6). It got the job done. But a base 302 would probably have done better for there daily driving/hauling us kids and camp trailer around.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If you dropped $3500 into a stroked Windsor such as a 393, 408, or even a 427 you'd be miles ahead of a stroked 5.0 and the engine would last 2-3X longer, be much more streetable, and most likely have a better temperment... Plain and simple 347's don't last all that long! I know the Mustang knuckle head crowd doesn't care if they rebuild their junk every 30-50k miles. The parts combo that was asked about sounds like a bad combo plain and simple!

Blubuckaroo, we know what he asked, but we are trying to get him to wake up and think logically. In an F150 he needs torque and isn't concerned if it fits under the hood.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You want a 302 based engine to make stupid power for $3500? Do a turbo or two, crank the boost until you split the block.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As for useage All he said was he wanted a tire burner and as much power as possible. But still we are trying to clairify all that. In any case a 351W based engine makes a much better choice. I think his buddy doesnt really know what he wants or needs to attain it. Probably reading to many magazines and assuming that if it works in a mustang it will work in his truck.
If you do a LS2 motor & change the cam you can have 550hp daily driver
There goes the LS crowd again.
ok and that shoots a $3500 budget completely out the window and I still think you need heads to really attain that number.

thunderbolt

Loc.
Concord, NC
yeah, those heads are about the worst thing you can put on there. WAAAAY to big. The only guys that run those have $50k + engines. A decent 347 will make 450-500 with some good parts, but even then it'll be over the $3500 mark. He can't even bolt those onto a stock 302 and have it run. The valve spacing is setup for a different valvetrain with jesel rockers, and the ports are large and raised. They wont come close to matching the stock intake. Amongst other things....

Last edited: