• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 is running !!!!

g-71

Got the new motor started today, but there is exhaust coming out the bottom outside of the heads? The engine is a late model roller. I have it carbed. I am hoping I can just plug them ? If so does anyone know what size and thread count to plug hem with ? Any help or suggestion will be greatly apperciated

Mike

OP
OP
G

g-71

Dang !!!! No, I did not. This looks like a real pita to get them in. Thanks for the reply.

Mike

OP
OP
G

g-71

Some of the mustang sites are saying to put a 5/8"-11 x 3/4" bolt in the head, can anyone confirm this ?

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen references to this in other posts. Are the ports that need to be plugged in all SBF or just certain heads?
Thx

Hank

OP
OP
G

g-71

I hope they work. The engine is in the bronco, and there is no way i can get a screwdriver in to tighten the other plugs mentioned earlier.

Mike

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've seen references to this in other posts. Are the ports that need to be plugged in all SBF or just certain heads?
Thx

Hank

Yes all have it. It's the opening to the air injection/EGR/heat riser exhaust rail.
Also, there were some with an additional port on the side of the head for the air injection connection.
It's a good idea to use the correct thermactor plugs on the front of the motor because sometimes those plugs are used for mounting accessories.
In the back, it really wouldn't matter, and a 5/8" NC bolt would work. That would sure make tightening it easier against the firewall. ;)