• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Automatic Transmission for 4x4 Bronco running a 351 Windsor

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Out of curiosity, no love for the 4R100? Mine's bolted to a 351W, came that way from Ford. As I understand the numbering, and I could be wrong, it's designed for more torque than the 4R70. If nothing else 100 is louder than 70, so that must be better, right? ;)

I must admit to a little sticker-shock when looking at deeper pans for the 4R100......
I think the 4R100 would probably be well nigh to impossible to fit in an EB? Just spit balling on that.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Out of curiosity, no love for the 4R100? Mine's bolted to a 351W, came that way from Ford. As I understand the numbering, and I could be wrong, it's designed for more torque than the 4R70. If nothing else 100 is louder than 70, so that must be better, right? ;)

I must admit to a little sticker-shock when looking at deeper pans for the 4R100......
The 4R100 (E4OD in old name) is HUGE! It is based off a C6, then made even larger by adding an overdrive.
I remember measuring one up once. The pan length of the 4R100 is as long as the case length on the 4R70W.
I've heard of a few being crammed in. They don't fit very well. A C6 doesn't fit very well to start with. Making one bigger doesn't help.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I guess that I've been looking at the one in the FSB long enough that it doesn't seem like it's all that large. Likely the result of the scale of what it's in.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That might be one issue I saw as well, pan for the 100 is definitely bigger, would interfere with a host of things on my rig.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Not too hijack, but what the heck...
keep me honest here, as I feel that I have read a billion threads on the 4R70W conversion into an EB.

4R70W Transmission, from a 2wd vs 4wd donor vehicle.
IF you are already planning on rebuilding the donor transmission internals.
Does using a 2wd donor transmission shorten the overall length of the transmission inclusive of adapters, as compared to the 4wd donor transmission.
If that is true, and again, one is already decided on a rebuild, any downside to going that 2wd donor route?
My thinking is that a shorter overall transmission is better for drive line angles, etc...

Am I off base here, or are there other things to consider - pros/cons.

thanks,
-Robert

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Not too hijack, but what the heck...
keep me honest here, as I feel that I have read a billion threads on the 4R70W conversion into an EB.

4R70W Transmission, from a 2wd vs 4wd donor vehicle.
IF you are already planning on rebuilding the donor transmission internals.
Does using a 2wd donor transmission shorten the overall length of the transmission inclusive of adapters, as compared to the 4wd donor transmission.
If that is true, and again, one is already decided on a rebuild, any downside to going that 2wd donor route?
My thinking is that a shorter overall transmission is better for drive line angles, etc...

Am I off base here, or are there other things to consider - pros/cons.

thanks,
-Robert
Shortest adapter to Dana 20 is WH 8330. This works with either 2wd or AWD donor. Same length either way and there is no difference in the rest of the trans. You will need to disassemble the 4R70W to install it.