• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 swap

Jdemaris

Loc.
Alpena
I have a 1973 with the original 302. I have a 1996 351 I want to put in. What kind of oil-pan works for this? Looks like the Bronco requires a unique oil-pan to clear the front drive-axle.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running a 1996 E350 "van pan" on my rig. 2/5SL and 1 inch BL. Street driven and clears everything.

Tim

OP
OP
J

Jdemaris

Loc.
Alpena
Thanks for the reply. The engine I want to use is a 5.8 from a 1996 E350 van . I assumed.the pan would not work, but seems I am wrong? I just looked close at my 302 pan and it is oddly shaped to clear the front axle. Your 351 fit just by bolting to the stock motor mounts and no mods were needed for pan clearance.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Only mod is 2.5 SL and the 1 inch BL. Stock motor mounts.

I'll measure clearance for you tomorrow

Tim

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Same here.. 90 bronco 351w with its pan cleared. I have a 3.5 suspension lift in mine. You will probably need a short front dress to clear your radiator.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The question you need to ask is "what happens when the front suspension is fully compressed?". The answer is; the OE 289/302 Bronco pan will clear the front differential, with anything else parts of the front axle will hit the pan. Taller springs will make the truck less stable just to move the axle away from the pan so more force is required to compress the suspension. It partially solves one problem by creating another. The only real cure is an EB V8 pan modified to fit a 351. I've done that and can guarantee it's not easy. The after market has so far been unwilling to invest in a new stamping die that will produce a real 351/5.8 EB oil pan. For now the best option is '79-'92 Crown Vic 351/5.8 duel sump pan. Full front suspension compression usually just dent the pan. Some call this environmental modification.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have just over 2 inches of clearance. Not a single mark on the pan so far......Street driven...

Tim

OP
OP
J

Jdemaris

Loc.
Alpena
Great information. Thank you all for replying. I never looked close at the original 302 pan until yesterday. It is quite a work of art. I can see how modifying a 351 pan with the same shapes would be a lot of work. So, now at least I know what my choices are.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Just as I said, the best choice short of a modified EB pan is the '79-'92 the Crown Vic 5.8 pan. That's what the EB vendors, including Tom's, are selling as an EB 351 pan. It is a 351 pan, but was never an EB pan and at full front suspension compression the front axle will hit it. I love the statement that it hasn't hit SO FAR. So that possibility will be hanging over your head. I've been there. My 351 came from an '87 Crown Vic police car. So it came with that pan. I kept the EB pan from the 302 and after years of looking found a welder who could make it a 351 pan.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
he speak the truth!! 2 installs both have the Crown Vic pan

Montoya

Before I did all my recent suspension mods my Bronco had a simple 3in lift with no body lift at all. I'm running the Milodon 351W pan and it cleared everything when I cycled the suspension. I think this is the one I run:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164018941585

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Milodon makes a Very nice oil pan for the 351W. I have installed the (30531) 4x4 Truck pan which is a Rear Sump. It is even listed as an Early Bronco Pan. You will need the Oil Pan Pick-up (18440), and get the 1-piece Pan Gasket (41004) while you are at it.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That Milodon pan (the one with the clipped corner on the sump) is a real nice way to go.
I ran an 80's F150 pan, that got clearance by the front diff.

When people state that it clears with X amount of lift, keep in mind suspension is dynamic. Might clear fine in the driveway, or even going over the curb to get into the driveway. But take a hard hit on the front suspension and it will still compress to the bump stops. Unless the bump stops were moved as part of the lift the full suspension compression is the same as stock height. What clears fine driving to the mall suddenly does not clear fine when you start a few mild trails. Easily preventable damage. The front suspension is so easy to check as well. Just take the front coils out and jack the axle up, see what clears, what doesn't, and maybe a set of taller bumpstops is all that is needed.