• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Windsor EFI conversion is finished! Update Have pics in gallery!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I just wanted to send out a Big Thanks to all who offered advice and direction during my EFI conversion. Special Thanks go out to Lars, Saddleup and of course Ryan at Ford Fuel injection. Without Ryans website and help with the wiring details from Lars and Saddleup, my Bronco would still be in the garage. I do still have a few small details to wrap up concerning my main tank return line and getting my speedo hooked back up but the important thing is that she is back on the road! I'll get some pics soon and get them posted to my gallery!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
what prts did you use for conor stuff? Like block, EFI stuff, accesories? I really want to do this next year, but am thinking either complete mustang engine, exploder engine (would need all mustang electronics, but has nice accesories), or try and 351 EFI... dunno

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
My setup is a 1969 351 Windsor. I had it remanufactured by Ford in 94 ( My friends dad was then the VP of Remanufacturing for Ford ). It is bored 30 over and the best part is the rebuild was Free because I know the VP. THe EFI parts are from a 1991 Mustang GT. I used an edelbrock performer EFI intake with a 351 Windsor lower. I'll get some pics posted I just have not had time.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
OK, I finnally took some photos of the installed fuel injection on my 351W. I just uploaded them to my gallery so they had not been approved yet when I looked a couple minutes ago but they will be viewable soon I'm sure. You can see how tight the clearance is with my Hydroboost and the upper intake. Its so tight that the hydroboost had to be removed to do the install. You can also see in my gallery a photo of what it looked like when I had the old edelbrock 600CFM performer carb on there ( Soon to be on ebay ). It took a while to get it all done but it was well worth it. No more cranking forever to get it to start when cold. Just a quick turn of the key and she fires right up! Also no more engine run on when she gets hot! The millage seems to be quite a bit better as well. I'll have to get it out for some highway driving to get a good comparison to what I was getting with the carb setup. For thoose wondering about the costs, I did the math last night and the total came out to $415 for everything. I got my intake used on ebay and I bought the donor efi parts on corral.net ( Mustang forum similar to this one ) .

Thanks again to everyone that helped answer my questions along the way.

wheelin66bronco

Loc.
State of Jefferson
Sounds good, I can't believe Lars was any help to you. Just kidding, I know him personally.
When you going to be ready to run the trails? Where are you located, are you part of the colorado bronco registry?

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm not part of the registry but not for lack trying to look into it. I made an attempt to join through the website about a year ago and never got any response. I assume you are a member since you are asking. Who do I contact to join up? I am going to make a run up the poudre this Sunday to give it a good trail test. I still have alot to do on my Bronco but it is road/trail worthy. I need new rear leafs and shook hoops up front. I also need to find a deal on a front bumper to hold a winch. I have an electric winch and a PTO setup but no way to mount a winch currently. I have to gather some cash so I can start in on the projects again.

Let me know about the registry.

Jeremy

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
Are you running a body lift? I am thinking of doing a similar swap but maybe using the truck intake setup (if it will clear). I can get a 87 bronco real cheap and it has a 351 efi/ aod combo.
thanks Mike

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
icebreaker88 said:
Are you running a body lift? I am thinking of doing a similar swap but maybe using the truck intake setup (if it will clear). I can get a 87 bronco real cheap and it has a 351 efi/ aod combo.
thanks Mike
The only way it will clear is to cut a hole in the hood. Even with a 3" body lift it still requires coming up with a custom hood scoop to fit over the intake which still sticks up about 4". The pics in my gallery show what I came up with for a scoop to go over mine.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Like saddleup said, the truck intake will not clear witout some cutting. I have the edelbrock intake with a one inch spacer and it is a tight fit even with my 3 1/2" of body lift.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I am running a scoop now with a hole cut in the hood.
With the scoop does it look possible to do this without the BL.
this is the scoop I am running, the inside of the hood is cut to match the scoop.
100_0736.JPG

Thanks Mike

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
You may want to ask saddleup but I still don't think it will fit. I think he has photos of his sticking out of the hood before he built his custom hood scoop. The photos might give you an idea of how far it sticks out and where it comes through the hood. If I'm correct, the high spot with the Truck EFI is not in the center of the hood. I think it is closer to the front passenger side of the engine.

KST1

That's right. The normal placement of the common style hood scoop will not cover the stock 5.8L throttle body. I checked into all of this when I did mine. I've got 3" body lift, hole in the hood and scoop. Works well now.

-D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
icebreaker88 said:
I am running a scoop now with a hole cut in the hood.
With the scoop does it look possible to do this without the BL.
this is the scoop I am running, the inside of the hood is cut to match the scoop.
100_0736.JPG

Thanks Mike
Nope. Not even a body lift will make the truck intake fit under your hood. The truck EFI sits towards the front and the passenger side near where the body line is on the hood. Close enough that I put my scoop right at the line when I made it. Even with the 3" body lift it still sticks through the hood a good bit and none of the aftermarket hoods that I was able to find have the raised portion in the right location. They are all like yours and too far back or they don't raise up far enough. The pictures below should give a good idea of what is required "with" a 3" body lift to fit the 5.8 truck intake under the hood.

Attachments

• SaddleUp22.jpg
    SaddleUp22.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 38
  • SaddleUp23.jpg
    SaddleUp23.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 83
  • SaddleUp27.jpg
    SaddleUp27.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 37
  • SaddleUp28.jpg
    SaddleUp28.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 40
  • SaddleUp30.jpg
    SaddleUp30.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 32
  • SaddleUp33.jpg
    SaddleUp33.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 39
  • MemDayWKEnd56.jpg
    MemDayWKEnd56.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 50
  • MemDayWKEnd59.jpg
    MemDayWKEnd59.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 46

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
What about using a aftermarket intake like a GT-40, trick flow or any other brands that make a 5.8 EFI intake?

I was also told there are a few aftermarket upper intakes that will match the truck lower. I think one was from holley and Vortech.
Thanks for all the info
Mike

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
icebreaker88 said:
What about using a aftermarket intake like a GT-40, trick flow or any other brands that make a 5.8 EFI intake?

I was also told there are a few aftermarket upper intakes that will match the truck lower. I think one was from holley and Vortech.
Thanks for all the info
Mike

I used an Edelbrock on mine. The upper is the same one that they sell for the mustang but the lower is made for the 351. I have never seen anything that bolts to the truck lower but maybe somebody makes it.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
casadejohnson said:
I used an Edelbrock on mine. The upper is the same one that they sell for the mustang but the lower is made for the 351. I have never seen anything that bolts to the truck lower but maybe somebody makes it.

I have seen the pics in your gallery, looks good.
Are you runnig a B/L with the Edelbrock setup?
Thanks Mike

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
icebreaker88 said:
I have seen the pics in your gallery, looks good.
Are you runnig a B/L with the Edelbrock setup?
Thanks Mike

Yea I have 3 1/2" of body lift. I am also running a one inch phenolic spacer between my upper and lower so you could get away with less lift than I have. I probably have around an inch between my intake and hood. Just a guess, I have never measured it.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
icebreaker88 said:

Thanks for all the info
Mike
A 5.0 car intake will just barely fit under the hood without a body lift. (I use to have a little ding in my hood from the EGR spacer on the original 5.0 I put in before I added a body lift) The 5.8 deck is a couple of inches higher so you will still need to do something. You might get away with a custom scoop but the one you currently have isn't far enough forward and doesn't come out far enough on the sides.

As to the Holley and Vortech intakes they will fit on a 5.0 truck lower. (I just took a look at some pics showing that the 5.0 and 5.8 lower intakes are not the same) The 5.0 truck lower has square ports while the 5.8 truck lower has oval ones. It might be possible to port match them if the bolt pattern matches up but you would need to cut a lot of material off the 5.8 lower to do so.

broncodude_73

I am using a ford lightning lower intake with my setup. I believe it matches up to all of the 5.0 upper intakes. I am running the GT-40 upper.