• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W efi intake manifold?

latrucker

Contributor
Getting ready to start my Explorer EFI conversion on my 351W. So far I have gathered everything I need except the intake manifold. Does anyone know where I can find a Ford Lightning (5.8 ltr) lower intake?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Don't forget there is a marine version of the lightning lower. It's cast-iron vs. Aluminum but it flows the same.

I run one. It's heavy but half the price if you can find one.

Tim

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Wow. For that kind of money, this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-515b0006/make/ford
I have that setup with a 1" body lift and a WH Highlander hood, clears with room to spare. Not cheap either but leaves room to grow. I ordered mine a year ago and was told an insane lead time, like everything else these days, but they delivered in 3 months rather than the forecast 9 months.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Wow. For that kind of money, this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-515b0006/make/ford
I have that setup with a 1" body lift and a WH Highlander hood, clears with room to spare. Not cheap either but leaves room to grow. I ordered mine a year ago and was told an insane lead time, like everything else these days, but they delivered in 3 months rather than the forecast 9 months.
That was my first choice. I spoke to Ed Curtis at Flowtech induction, he told me they actually stop making them and won't start again for another 6 months. With that and the back log of orders once they start producing them again I am probably looking at least 9 months. I decided to just purchase a used lighting intake for stupid money and be done with it. The one I bought is the nicest one I have seen yet. If things change, I think I can sell it for what I paid being they are so hard to find and I already have the GT40 upper from the explorer so I just went with it,

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up buying one from a guy on the corrall.net. His screen name is engmstr. He gets them pretty often in really good shape if anyone is looking. Cost is 700-800 depending on condition. Not many other options for 5.8 intakes that are available right now and wont be for some time. Hope this helps someone else looking for one.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I just spoke to a guy somewhat locally to me that had two. He sold the one for 800$ when we were texting.

He still has a second one if anyone is interested. Looks like a new one.

I purchased one a few years off ebay that looked like it had been sitting on the bottom of a lake for $300 plus shipping. I thought I over paid:)
Feeling a bit better about it and the moment.
To that end, I bought a used upper from a 93 cobra for like 250 a couple years ago and I am not seeing many around for sale either, but I did see one of those for sale and it was $645!

I am with Lars, if I didn't need one yesterday I would look for a trick flow or wait on a new one.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Does the TrickFlow fit under a stock hood? I've nor seen anyone post about running one.

I got my cast iron version for $350 shipped a few years back. I was super clean like it had never seen water.

Tim

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Does the TrickFlow fit under a stock hood? I've nor seen anyone post about running one.

I got my cast iron version for $350 shipped a few years back. I was super clean like it had never seen water.

Tim
Does your GT40 upper and lower fit under the stock hood??

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I just spoke to a guy somewhat locally to me that had two. He sold the one for 800$ when we were texting.

He still has a second one if anyone is interested. Looks like a new one.

I purchased one a few years off ebay that looked like it had been sitting on the bottom of a lake for $300 plus shipping. I thought I over paid:)
Feeling a bit better about it and the moment.
To that end, I bought a used upper from a 93 cobra for like 250 a couple years ago and I am not seeing many around for sale either, but I did see one of those for sale and it was $645!

I am with Lars, if I didn't need one yesterday I would look for a trick flow or wait on a new one.
I am wondering if this is the same guy I bought mine from yesterday for 800, he is from MO. The intake I bought was like new condition.

Green_Bastard

It’s crazy what they go for now. I got my lower 5 years ago for $300. At the same time I got a tubular upper for $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Does your GT40 upper and lower fit under the stock hood??
Yes it does BUT no it don't. With a 1 inch BL the intakes clear. The T-body I run (97 Explorer) has the TPS on top and it does not clear. I could clock it or or run another T-body and it clear but my hood wasn't nice so I just added a scoop.

Tim

Attachments

• 20160311_115637.jpg
    20160311_115637.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
It’s crazy what they go for now. I got my lower 5 years ago for $300. At the same time I got a tubular upper for $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would love to find a tubular upper but wouldnt want to pay the price. I could only imagine what they are going for now. On the upside, I have read that the explorer gt40 upper flows better than the tubular. Dont know how true it is???

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Yes it does BUT no it don't. With a 1 inch BL the intakes clear. The T-body I run (97 Explorer) has the TPS on top and it does not clear. I could clock it or or run another T-body and it clear but my hood wasn't nice so I just added a scoop.

Tim
This is good news. Im going to run a accufab tb, hoping it clears.....dont want to cut the hood. One reason I decided against the Trick Flow, its alot taller.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
This is good news. Im going to run a accufab tb, hoping it clears.....dont want to cut the hood. One reason I decided against the Trick Flow, its alot taller.
I see it states......An optional accessory is our TPSGM which easily bolts on to the throttle body and allows the use of a late model GM style TPS instead of a Ford.

So it uses a side mounted TPS? If so I need to keep my eyes open for one of those........That's BIG BOY at 90mm

Tim