• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W efi intake manifold?

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I see it states......An optional accessory is our TPSGM which easily bolts on to the throttle body and allows the use of a late model GM style TPS instead of a Ford.

So it uses a side mounted TPS? If so I need to keep my eyes open for one of those........That's BIG BOY at 90mm

Timt
They offer a mustang 5.0 version in 70mm and 75mm with TPS on the side. I dont think I need bigger than that with my engine. I wonder if this would work with the explorer stuff. They also offer one for a 5.8 lightning but TPS is on top. I dont know much about what will or will not work with the explorer stuff and they dont offer one for specifically for the explorer. What are your thoughts on the mustang TB, will it work?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I guess I could have rotated mine 90 degrees which would have moved the TPS to the side, IAC to the bottom and linkage to the side. That would have cleared my hood but then I would have needed to figure out the linkage vs. using the BC bracket and cable. Also seen to recall reading that some had issues with IAC on the bottom. Not sure what that's about.

I'm sure others have more info on what TB to use and what linkage will work once clocked. I got the explorer stuff super cheap so ran it. Explorer is 65mm as I recall

Tim

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
How about an Edelbrock Victor EFI and a 90 elbow with a standard throttle body. Or a 4 barrel throttle body.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
How about an Edelbrock Victor EFI and a 90 elbow with a standard throttle body. Or a 4 barrel throttle body.
I purchased a 5.8 lightning intake yesterday. Now trying to figure out which 70mm throttle body would work best with the explorer efi stuff.

ZOSO

Dang didnt realize the market for the 351 intakes. I bought a ported 351 lower and ported saleen s351 upper for $80 6 years ago. Then about 2 or 3 years ago I bought a brand new never mounted marine lower for $150. So I did well.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dang didnt realize the market for the 351 intakes. I bought a ported 351 lower and ported saleen s351 upper for $80 6 years ago. Then about 2 or 3 years ago I bought a brand new never mounted marine lower for $150. So I did well.
It's just a scarce intake unless it's the marine steel lower.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
You did real good. I paid 800 which is crazy but it was still 300- 400 cheaper than everything else I found and much nicer.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
The one I posted is $550.00

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hopstr

Contributor
Yes it does BUT no it don't. With a 1 inch BL the intakes clear. The T-body I run (97 Explorer) has the TPS on top and it does not clear. I could clock it or or run another T-body and it clear but my hood wasn't nice so I just added a scoop.

Tim
Tim,
Can you post a photo of the underside of your hood so I can see how much you trimmed out for the scoop?

Thanks

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Tim,
Can you post a photo of the underside of your hood so I can see how much you trimmed out for the scoop?

Thanks
I cut the hole to fit the scoop. Just left a good lip to mount the scoop. If I had to do it over I would have went with a much smaller hole.

Tim

Attachments

• 20220128_102004.jpg
    20220128_102004.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 21

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Does the TrickFlow fit under a stock hood? I've nor seen anyone post about running one.

I got my cast iron version for $350 shipped a few years back. I was super clean like it had never seen water.

Tim
A little late to the party, but I thought I should reply anyway. The Trick Flow R intake is a lot taller than a Lightning/Explorer (or any other compatible upper) combo. And probably unnecessary for a mild 351W. I have a 408 so I wanted the extra flow capacity. I have a 1" body lift and a Wild Horses "Highlander" hood. Throttle body is an Accufab 75mm model that uses the Mustang 5.0 TPS. An Explorer 5.0 throttle body with its taller TPS might be a little cozy.

In case anyone asks, my upper intake is compatible with a 90mm throttle body but I was advised to stick with a 75mm for part throttle drivability. I suspect I'm leaving some top end power on the table, but at this point I'm not concerned. It's pretty entertaining as is.