• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W EFI intake

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Will it work?
For a high RPM drag racing engine?
Or for a Bronco?

My bet is on the racer.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was thinking it might feed a big inch stroker. At which point high RPM no longer is a factor, just airflow.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 on skykanrOn's response.

You don't give the size of your engine but look at the TB size that's recommended for it!!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
YES, it will work, with a custom tune. Work just fine, remember, SFI actually likes long runners, but, gonna be pricey for computer and tune.

Last edited:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It might be a bit tight under the hood

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even as specified the manifold's rpm range starts at only 1500, which is well within the range of many of the carbureted intakes some use to good effect on low-rpm engines.
So it might not be as out there as it's sheer size might indicate.
Being 1500 to 7000 though is quite a full range compared to old carburetor manifolds.

And the TB size is not the same as carburetor sizing by a long shot. For stock engines even Ford went from what, like a 45mm all the way to 68mm on the Explorer (a very low rpm engine by the way) or something like that. With the larger one still having good throttle response and overall drivability on that low-rpm 5.0 in the Exploder.
You're right that there is a limit, but that depends on a lot of other things besides engine size and preferred rpm range. I think the newer GM engines are in the 70 to 80 range on their street engines. Even a performance Ford TB for the newer 5.0 is 87mm, so that 95mm for the Holley is not so far out of line as it would seem when comparing to the Mustangs of 20 years ago.

The actual design of a throttle body has a lot to do with it's street and low-rpm manners in spite of it's size.
But the bigger ones can sure breathe at the higher rpm of course. Which is I'm sure why they rate that to 7000 and recommend such big mouths.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you look at the stock explorer intake, long run single plane. The secret is in metered airflow keeping the air moving as needed without caring if the fuel is atomized, thats what sequentila injection is for, and is what a dual plane handles on a carb.