• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w swap - what is the best vehicle to be a donor???

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I want to swap my 302 for a 351w. My 302 currently has a 4bbl throttle body Holley Projection. Not sure if I should sell that and get an engine that has efi on it. Are the 351w's out of a mid 90's truck the best bet or is something out of a crown vic or something similar. Are the roller rocker engines the best bet?

Is the best plan to get a good block and completely build it or should I find one with low miles and just drop it in?

Opinions welcome!!!

Thanks,

JT

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Depending on your budget, the best one may be the lowest priced, lowest mile one. even the 351 dogs will be an improvement in torque, and with some addons (ignition, breathing) will provide much improved power.
That said, I think the 94-98 351W in trucks/Broncos with the roller cam is the best choice.

maverickconner

The efi stuff from the 94' and newer pickups, and the 95' and newer vans come with a desent efi setup (torque and milage wise), and they are also the full roller motors. This would be what I would want, but if not, I would try for a 68-73 351w, different head castings...

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
4byford said:
Depending on your budget, the best one may be the lowest priced, lowest mile one. even the 351 dogs (late 70s/early 80s) will be an improvement in torque, and with some addons (ignition, breathing) will provide much improved power.
That said, I think the 94-98 351W in trucks/Broncos with the roller cam is the best choice.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
4byford said:
Depending on your budget, the best one may be the lowest priced, lowest mile one. even the 351 dogs will be an improvement in torque, and with some addons (ignition, breathing) will provide much improved power.
I thought 96 was the last year for the 351W.

I agree this will pretty much be a budget decision. I would go for a 5.8 EFI motor if possible and sell the Holley Projection. You might get enough for it by selling it to cover most of the cost of the swap. (Depends on what route you decide to take) From what I understand the stock Ford EFI is superior to the aftermarket EFI systems. I have no real comparison though to verify that but I am quite happy with the Ford EFI. As to sources you can do like I did and get a wrecking yard low mileage motor to the tune of about $1200 (My 96 F350 motor was listed at $1200 but with connections I was able to get it for $800) or if your lucky you can do like my brother did and buy a wrecked truck (In his case an 88 F250) for $300 and sell parts from it along with scrap. (He made a couple hundred on scrap and parts) Others will need to chime in here on rebuild suggestions and costs. If I went for a rebuild I would probably do a stroker motor and suspect the cost would run in the neighborhood of $2000. By that time it might be easier to just get a crate motor though.

U

Unregistered

On those years of trucks are most of the 351w bolted up to a zf tranny?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Unregistered said:
On those years of trucks are most of the 351w bolted up to a zf tranny?
It is common but probably not most. The 88 my brother picked up had a C6. I'm guessing that most of them probably had Auto trannies. Probably the AOD or an electronic variant of it. My 96 originally had a manual tranny which was quite possibly a ZF. I only have the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate so I really can't say for certain without doing more research.

Kidney

If they where mounted together that would save me alot of time trying to find a 351 and a zf. Oh well...Still have a few years before I jump into those mods

OP
OP
J

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
4byford said:

What is the advantage of a roller cam engine? If it cost $1000 to get a low mile engine vs. $2000 to get a block and rebuild, do you think it is worth the extra money to start with a fresh engine? Are the crate engines typically built for low end torque with with the best components or do you have to build it yourself in order to get what you want? Who sells the best crate engines?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It depends on what you want to do. If you plan to rebuild the motor, I would look for a nice low price one to start with.
If you plan a performance, but close to stock build, a roller block is a good start. Note: even the roller blocks are not full roller; they still have the conventional rocker arms on it. Full roller is a roller cam AND roller rockers. The only time that rolled out of the factory is the ’93 cobra. Those are a little pricey considering you can just bolt on a set yourself.

If you plan to just get an engine and drop it in as is, you have to consider condition. The ’69-’70 engine was the best there was, but they are 35 years old now. I would never pick up a stock engine that old and just drop it in.
For the most part anything from the 70’s and newer will all be about the same.
The latest engines are the mid 90’s engines. These engines are available in 2 flavors. The light truck, and the heavy duty. Before you go thinking “lets go get the heavy duty” think of this: The heavy duty was meant to run at full throttle all the time. Sounds good right? Wrong! The compression was dropped from 8.8 to 8.3 to prevent problems in the engine. This takes out a big chunk of power. The rest of the engine is the same. The light duty (F150/big Bronco) engine will out run the heavy duty (F250 and up) engines. If you were to swap the engine into a boat, I would recommend the HD engine because they were built to run hours at full throttle. Sacrifice a little power for longevity. Consider how long you drive at full throttle? Witch engine better suits the needs of a bronco? The ZF (if I remember right) is typically found on the HD trucks, the ones with low compression engines.

As for a rebuilt engine, all bets are off. Pistons and cams can be changed to almost anything and it could still fall into the category of “stock rebuild”. Flat tops replacing dished and vise versa. Factory cams came in dozens of grinds, most of them bad for performance as they were each trying to squeak the engine through tighter emissions. Anything that has gone through a rebuild house I would consider suspect.

It basically comes down to getting a good engine (weather you build it or just fine one used in good condition). Don’t take anybody’s word about it. Look for cars and trucks sitting in the junkyard because of accidents. A cherry car sitting there is probably there because the engine died.

And for fuel injection, please do a search. There is enough stuff on this board to keep you busy all weekend.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
SaddleUp said:
I thought 96 was the last year for the 351W.
96 was last year for 351 in 1/2 tons; the 351W was still available in the F-250 Heavy Duty/F350 through mid year 98 when the Super Duties came out. You will only find the 351 mated to a ZF in the F250s and F350s from 88 to 98...

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
In my humble opinion

The BEST 351 to have is the one out of a 70-71 Boss Mustang.
Try and get one, and not get lynched by the mustang crowd.

TOFIC

U

Unregistered

John Bleakley Ford sells the 2-barrel 351 (240 horse) for $2195 or the 250 version with performer intake & tall ford racing valve covers for 24 something. The 2-barrel motor could be bought then put those BRONCO valve covers with intake of your choice.

U

Unregistered

that motor has a regular cam but the intake valley is drilled &tapped for a roller cam.

keithb

Loc.
Montgomery, AL
I don't know if this is of any importance to you, but my buddy and I ended up with 351's out of a late 80's LTD (maybe crown vic?), anyway they were old cop cars from the 80's. Contrary to popular belief, cop car engines aren't any different from regular cars other than they usually have oil coolers and heavy duty radiators.

But, here's my tip. Whether you use that block or not, that fancy kit they sell you at Jeff's or Duff's to install the 351 with the double sump oil pan is the setup off the LTD. The engines we used had the exact same oil pan and pickup. Those cars are everywhere, so maybe you could pick up the pan and pickup for pretty cheap. I made my own bracketry since I was mounting a York and a Saginaw pump.

Just thought that might help you out. I love my 351. It's what the Bronco should have come with instead of the 302, which is better suited for Mustangs.

OP
OP
J

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Someone today was saying that I should consider a stroker 302 rather than change everything over to the 351w. Has anyone dropped one of those in a Bronco, if so, are they comparable to a 351w?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 351 is the factory stroker. Plus it has millions of dollars of engineering into it to make the block better, bearings bigger, rod angles better, etc.

Bone stock, the 351 block is about 50% stronger then a 302 block If you go and make 350HP (realistic with a 350ish cube motor) you will be running at about 80% the limit of the block on a 302 vs. 50% the limit of the block on a 351

The 302 stroker kits will cost you more then a 351 as well.

The 302 stroker does have it's place. In tight places that a 351 has a hard time fitting. I plan on building one soon, to go into a Ranger.

The 351 is a proven engine that fits easily into early broncos, why not take advantage of all the work that went into developing the engine?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
walker949 said:
In my humble opinion

The BEST 351 to have is the one out of a 70-71 Boss Mustang.
Try and get one, and not get lynched by the mustang crowd.

TOFIC
Hey, Another 351Cleveland lover, huh?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Madgyver said:
Hey, Another 351Cleveland lover, huh?

Far be it for me to argue with the great Hawaiian Bronco guru but,

Up here, the 351 Boss Mustang came with a Windsor with all the 'goodies'.

I could be wrong, but I have seen two of these cars at shows, and they both had factory Windsors in them.

TOFIC