• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w swap

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
hello
in the spring of 2010 we are going to do a 351w swap in a 76 bronco and i guess we're just looking for any tips on what we might be in for i know there will be some clearance issues and what not but any input would be helpful i'am sure there has been lots of write-ups on this swap. thanks.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
They are a pretty direct swap but you may have clearance issues. There are a lot of variables to consider here. I run a 2" body lift and still have to run a short air cleaner element to get the hood to close. It really depends on your manifold/carb/EFI dimensions. Your existing exhaust won't likely bolt up either. The 351w is a slightly taller deck height which translates to a slightly wider engine and a taller engine as well.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
302 timing chain cover forward with brackets for alt. and power steering to use 302 belts and pulleys, or you can do a serpentine setup. I run BCB headers and other than that it is a direct bolt in. The air cleaner setup will depend on what intake, carb, EFI, body lift (if any) you decide to run. If you body lift then there are also the mods that go with it.

My Bronco has a 2" BL with an old Duff hood bubble and this easily clears the 315W with an Edelbrock performer intake, Holley 670TA carb, and a 4" K & N air cleaner on a flat base. I have seen 351W under stock hoods with no BL also.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I had to run different headers (I was previously using Hedmann long tubes, went with James Duff), and my junk fits under a stock hood, no body lift.

I was kinda joking w/ the easy breezy. Nothing has been quite "plug & play" for me.

It's easy enough, but it will bring out the fabricator in you on occasionl.

OP
OP
L

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
good info

thanks thats all good info and a heads up the bronco has a 3" body lift allready we are a ways away yet as the block is at the machine shop right now and the heads are on the bench for some port work.
thanks

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I have a 351w with no body lift. I do not recommend it. I can not use the stud and wing nut for the air cleaner, can't use an aftermarket air cleaner, and certain types of distributor caps won't clear either.

Definitely have body lift and/or a hood scoop. I hope to have both one day.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I have a 351w with no body lift. I do not recommend it. I can not use the stud and wing nut for the air cleaner, can't use an aftermarket air cleaner, and certain types of distributor caps won't clear either.

Definitely have body lift and/or a hood scoop. I hope to have both one day.

I ditched the stud/wing nut for a properly sized allen head bolt. Running a 10
inch air cleaner, 1" element.

It's tight for sure, but works. Everything about the bronco has been work. Nothing has been straight forward.

drv35

If I remember correctly I also had to shorten the Z-bar clutch linkage to clear the headers and also modify the original throttle linkage. I also am running a 2 inch body lift and have recently put an original hood back on, coming from a fiberglass bubble hood. I had an 11 inch diameter, 1 inch thick K&N raised base air cleaner that will not clear the stock hood. Still searching for a replacement.