• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

393W Stroker build questions

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I'm in the process of digging into this build for a winter project and a I have a few questions.

Plan thus far is as follows:

- 94' or 95' 351W roller from a JY truck or van
- Ford EFI with lightening lower and explorer upper
- 4r70w tranny, Dana 20, 4:56 gears
- Cam TBD, but Comp Cams tool comes back with (35-510-8, 35-308-8, 35-349-8, 35-320-8) Need more investigation
- AFR 185 heads, 58cc, Eagle stroker kit

Questions:

- I want to use my explorer front dress so I have to deal with the 50oz vs 28oz damper issues. I'm leaning towards having the whole assembly rebalanced for 50oz. But, I could also have the damper rebalanced to 28 oz and purchased a pre-balanced stoker kit. How does this affect my current flex plate ('97 explorer 5.0/4r70w)?

- What size fuel injectors? 30lbs or 42lbs. I guess I could just say 42lbs and know that i have overhead. What is a good JY donor for each?

- EGR. I currently use my EGR setup with my explorer (early '97) intake. I would like to use it with the stroker and the lightening lower. Since it's internal to the intake, I think this will work with the lightening lower, correct??

- How do oval port headers work/seal with the square ports on the AFR heads? Currently I'm running oval shorties with the stock explorer 5.0 heads that are square, but I have always had some exhaust leaks. I want to clean this up when I swap the new motor in. I'm not opposed to spending some money on something like the BC shorties, but they are oval also. What have others done with the AFR heads and shorties??

- What is the torque converters stall speed for the stock explorer TC? Should I consider one with a lower stall with the bigger engine and torque?

- Cam recommendations?? I want something that is streetable, EFI friendly and that will compliment the engine.

- The engine builder was recommending a roller rocker for reliability, ease of setup, wear and tear. If I go with a roller rocker setup, any reason not to just buy a kit with the cam?

thanks,
Renard

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can order up the stroker kit already balanced to 50 oz-in.
I really worry about those timy 58cc heads on that stroker. It will take some massive dished pistons to keep the compression reasonable. Bigger chambers and flatter pistons will make for a nicer engine.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
You can order up the stroker kit already balanced to 50 oz-in.
I really worry about those timy 58cc heads on that stroker. It will take some massive dished pistons to keep the compression reasonable. Bigger chambers and flatter pistons will make for a nicer engine.

If I got a pre-balanced 50 oz kit, I wouldn't have to any additional balancing or damper modifications, correct?

You think the 72cc chambers would be better? I would like a CR around 9.5:1

Amac70

ME
I can only comment on the cam the 35 10 8 is a really good all around cam. great torque off idle and revs out nice. Mine is in 351roller motor with edelbrock heads, running lighting intakes. very quick little motor with lots of power.

ILikeBond

I just bought the same cam for my 302 build (bored 30 over, so actually 306 I guess %)). Good to hear the favorable review...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I got a pre-balanced 50 oz kit, I wouldn't have to any additional balancing or damper modifications, correct?

You think the 72cc chambers would be better? I would like a CR around 9.5:1

I would have to pull out the catalogs and look it up on the tables. They list the apposimate compression ratio for a given head size on the stroker kits. there are variations due to block decking and gasket thickness. But the charts will get you close. I just remember when you get into the strokers it is hard to keep the compression down low enough. You have a lot more swept volume squeezing into the same tiny compressed space.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I use the BC Broncos 1 5/8" header, which is the only bronco header on the market that's larger than 1.5", and also runs inside the frame rails. Since your new motor will sit higher/wider, you're going to need to re-tweak your exhaust- BC Broncos headers are spendy, but you save the money in their pre-bent exhausts, makes it a driveway job, and not an expensive trip to the muffler shop. You'll still need to go get a tailpipe added, unless you like the drone of a dumped muffler

I don't believe you're going to find those injectors in the yard, but there are plenty of ford sites like Corral, Stangnet, and others that offer a great venue for used aftermarket products.
Have Damper dudes rebalance your explorer balancer, cheapest/best option for you.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I use the BC Broncos 1 5/8" header, which is the only bronco header on the market that's larger than 1.5", and also runs inside the frame rails. Since your new motor will sit higher/wider, you're going to need to re-tweak your exhaust- BC Broncos headers are spendy, but you save the money in their pre-bent exhausts, makes it a driveway job, and not an expensive trip to the muffler shop. You'll still need to go get a tailpipe added, unless you like the drone of a dumped muffler

I don't believe you're going to find those injectors in the yard, but there are plenty of ford sites like Corral, Stangnet, and others that offer a great venue for used aftermarket products.
Have Damper dudes rebalance your explorer balancer, cheapest/best option for you.

You don't have any leaks with the square ports of the heads and overal ports of the headers? BC headers have the ball flange for the collector. I think those seal better at the collector as well.

If I rebalance my damper to 28 oz doesn't that mean I have to do something with my flexplate? If so, it sounds like getting a kit pre-balanced to 50 oz would be best? I'm trying to avoid paying up front for the pre-balanced kits and then having to pay again locally to have something rebalanced.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you do the 50 oz-in crank, use the 5.0 4R70W flexplate and the Explorer damper. Balance wise it will think it is a late model 5.0 engine. Easier then getting everything set up for 28 oz-in.

barronj

Bronco Guru
You don't have any leaks with the square ports of the heads and overal ports of the headers? BC headers have the ball flange for the collector. I think those seal better at the collector as well.

No leaks, anywhere (header flange or collector). I'm not too sure that it's an oval port either; I think it's more square.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Do 28oz balance and even if you get a "pre-balanced kit", have the rotating assembly professionally balanced again (pistons, connecting rods, balancer, flex plate, crankshaft). My kit was WAY off. Google 28oz vs 50oz balance to see why you don't want 50oz.

Buy a new balancer and use the Driven off Road pulley with the serpentine setup.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Or just have dampnerdudes rebalance the explorer dampner to 28 oz. Worked fine for me. Good price, good work, and fast turn around time.

ak68

I'm running 24# injectors in my 393w stroker with no problems and all the power I need. You probably don't need anything bigger with your desired specs.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Thanks for all the replys to the 28oz vs 50oz delima. I'm going to ask the ballancing guy locally what his opinion is. This isn't going to be a high reving motor for me.

For those of you that have used the truck 5.8 fuel rail, has anyone had issues using the explorer heater lines with the rule rail?

Thanks

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Still sorting out the flex plate and balancing path I want to take. If I decide to go the 28oz-in route, can I use the flex plate from a 94 bronco (That is the donor motor that I picked up)? Will it work with my 4r70w and current starter? I thought the 5.0 flex plate was 157 tooth and the 94 bronco was 164 tooth. But, napa shows them both to be 164 tooth??

Thanks
Renard

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '94 Bronco should have been an E4OD. At first appearance it looks like it would work, but the offset is wrong. It will have the convertor bottomed out in the transmission and holding a preload on the thrust bearing in the engine. Don't use it.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
GT40 lower intake

Ok, I've got the long block back from the builder. I need to order a oil pan and a few other items then I can start the swap.

I noticed the GT40 lower intake has two ports on the rear for the coolant ports. The 5.8 lower that came stock on the engine did not have these. What should I do with these? Plug them or add a crossover hose for better coolant flow?

thanks,
Renard

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't understand how putting a crossover will give better flow? If you look at the cooling system the water pump pushes water into both sides of the block. At that point you have 2 completely seperate and identically mirrored 4-cylinder cooling systems. Only joined again at the front of the intake to go into the thermostat housing.