• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

393W Stroker build questions

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Runs good - like it.

Well, I thought I would post a couple comments now after putting about 2K miles on the engine. I really like how it drives around town and in the mountains. The extra power brings a smile ear to ear everytime I give it a little extra gas. You might have seen a previous thread where I broke and lifter stud on my stock AFRs. I replaced those with ARP hardware and all is good.

A couple interesting notes:

- During my drives home cruising about 50 mph and with a few stop lights, the computer says I'm averaging about 15.5 mpg. This seems to be close to what my wallet says.

- I've driven it a couple of times now over Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass on I70. I topped both of those at 60 mph in OD. It feels nice not to have to wind it up to stay out of the way of traffic. One jackass in a Silverado didn't want to move into the slower lane so I dropped it out of OD and cruised right by him like he was standing still. Loved that.

- I still have an idle issue once its warmed up. It likes to die when I put it in gear if I don't give it a bump on the throttle. I've adjusted the obvious settings in the EEC. It doesn't do this when it's cold. It is running different air adders when it's cold and keeps the rpm up a little more. I just need to spend more time with the datalogger I think and go back through my idle setup procedure.

- It runs cooler than the Exploder 302. About 10 - 15* cooler. It normally sits right around the 195* TS and will go as low as 188* during an early morning cruise to work (according to the ETC sensor and computer). However, when I was driving back from Aspen yesterday, I got cought up in over an our of stop and go traffic, mostly stoped. It would eventually creep up to 230*.

If you run the AC with the Explorer front dress, it's a tight fit. I kept the AC as I plan to convert it to on-board air. I've done the grease zert conversion on it that I found on the web, and tested it a little bit. I still have to plumb it all up, but was able to hook it to my Dewalt portable tanks and it had no problem pumping it up to 150 psi multiple times. One nice setting with the EEC is that it has a pin to tell it when the AC is on and it will kick the rpms up slightly. I changed this setting to 1200 rpm when the compressor is kicked on. Once the compressor is turned off, the idle drops back down. Cool. Also, I have the Napa PN for the belt that works with this setup, let me know if you need it.

Thanks to everyone who helped answer some of my questions during this build. Sorry about the crappy Iphone pics.

Does anyone know where to get 393W fender emblems that have the classic look?

thanks,
Renard

Attachments

• IMG_0008[1].jpg
    IMG_0008[1].jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0190[1].jpg
    IMG_0190[1].jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0193[1].jpg
    IMG_0193[1].jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0191[1].jpg
    IMG_0191[1].jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Cool. I was wondering if you were going to find a deep enough dished piston to keep the CR manageable. 9.5:1 is perfect. What octane fuel are you running? Im shooting or 9-9.5 on my build cuz Im hoping to be able to run regular.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I usually run the lower octane with no issues. I only put the premium in when I'm headed to the mountains. I can tell a difference with the higher grade fuel. But, the lower octane runs fine in the mountains as well.