• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

393W stroker issues

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I got my new ARP studs and poly locks yesterday. After getting everything back together, I start it up and after about a min at idle, I notice I'm getting a little bit of blue smoke. The engine seems to be running fine, is this because I set the back lash too tight. I used 3/4 turn once I got it to zero lash. Thoughts?

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Blue smoke is from oil. My guess is that there may have been some damage to the valve stem when everything went bad last time. That would cause oil to get past the valve; same if the seal was damaged. Was it by any chance the exhaust valve that had the issue? I think it is even more likely to be blue smoke from that side. Not sure if you have dual exhaust, but is it from the same side?

Eric

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Blue smoke is from oil. My guess is that there may have been some damage to the valve stem when everything went bad last time. That would cause oil to get past the valve; same if the seal was damaged. Was it by any chance the exhaust valve that had the issue? I think it is even more likely to be blue smoke from that side. Not sure if you have dual exhaust, but is it from the same side?

Eric

It was the intake valve. I just drove it and I don't see smoke any more. I'm guessing that the one cylinder had collected some oil while I was running my balance test and when it fired up, it was burning some oil off. At least I hope so. It idles fine with no oil now. I'll keep an eye on it.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When you broke the stud you ran that hole without fuel. it oiled the cylinder and didnt burn the oil since there is no fuel. You also pulled a vacuum on the intake stroke since the valve wasnt opening pulling more oil into the cylinder. When you fired it up working properly it just burned off the excess oil left in the cylinder. Relax you done good and your engine is now mo better if you did all the studs and lock nuts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When you broke the stud you ran that hole without fuel. it oiled the cylinder and didnt burn the oil since there is no fuel. You also pulled a vacuum on the intake stroke since the valve wasnt opening pulling more oil into the cylinder. When you fired it up working properly it just burned off the excess oil left in the cylinder. Relax you done good and your engine is now mo better if you did all the studs and lock nuts.

X2

Run it for a bit and clean it out.