• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 bbl Cold Air intake

turbotim2

Does anyone know of a cold air intake that will fit a standard 4 bbl mounting? And not the stock filter.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Years back a few were using the dual-snorkel Mustang round air filter housings with corrugated hose run towards the front area. You could then fabricate your own intake area in either corner.
Same would apply to a single-snorkel intake of course, but would likely be easier to make work than the dual would, given the limited space to work with.

They were fairly low profile too, which obviously helps a lot with a Bronco. Most are likely going to be just too tall to fit under the hood.
Presumably you have at least some amount of body lift?

paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And what year is your Bronco turbotim? If it's a late '72 or later, you will already have the cold-air port opening in the core support, so it's only a matter of connecting something to it.
Some of us are sourcing '73 and later stock Bronco air filter housings and hardware to get the cold-air setup, while keeping the low profile of the stock filter setup. I still have the stock filter on 4bbl carbs in both my '71 Bronco and '79 pickup. They fit perfectly and can take advantage of the cold air, but I don't get the advantage of added flow with a different setup. The pickup filter housing is fairly large and free flowing (for stock that is) but the Bronco setup leaves a lot on the table from a high end flow aspect.
For me though, that's fine as I'm not building screamers and the stock filter, while not supporting max power maybe, certainly flows well enough for the driving conditions I put it through.
And it fits under the hood!

paul

OP
OP
T

turbotim2

It's a 77, 351 and 1" bl. I wanted to use the stock air cleaner but it won't clear the valve cover.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
FYI, I don’t know if this applies to your set up but I used a 1inch carb spacer plate to get the clearance required on my 66 to fit a stock air cleaner.
Good luck!

OP
OP
T

turbotim2

FYI, I don’t know if this applies to your set up but I used a 1inch carb spacer plate to get the clearance required on my 66 to fit a stock air cleaner.
Good luck!

Thanks, I tried a 1" spacer and that gets me over the valve cover but it hits the hood.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've been using a complete stock '77 air cleaner on a 351 for about 20 yrs. and the only air cleaner/valve cover interference is the plug wire stand. No body lift or butchered hood. What kind of valve covers?

OP
OP
T

turbotim2

I've been using a complete stock '77 air cleaner on a 351 for about 20 yrs. and the only air cleaner/valve cover interference is the plug wire stand. No body lift or butchered hood. What kind of valve covers?

Obviously not the stock valve covers.

RonJones

Contributor
Like this?

Attachments

• CB9C7A97-7014-4D18-BA3E-EC42BDD50DF7.jpg
    CB9C7A97-7014-4D18-BA3E-EC42BDD50DF7.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 87

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Years back a few were using the dual-snorkel Mustang round air filter housings with corrugated hose run towards the front area. You could then fabricate your own intake area in either corner.
Same would apply to a single-snorkel intake of course, but would likely be easier to make work than the dual would, given the limited space to work with.

They were fairly low profile too, which obviously helps a lot with a Bronco. Most are likely going to be just too tall to fit under the hood.
Presumably you have at least some amount of body lift?

paul

Paul, there is someone on this forum who’s done that. I plan to get one for our Bronco to eliminate that open air cleaner roar. Those Mustang GT air cleaners aren’t cheap!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember seeing pictures of it. Very clean looking install.
I don't remember if they ran the ducting all the way to the core support or not, but I think they did. Very clean indeed.

Paul

Lawndart

Loc.
Paul, there is someone on this forum who’s done that. I plan to get one for our Bronco to eliminate that open air cleaner roar. Those Mustang GT air cleaners aren’t cheap!

Years ago, I tried one because of the one on this forum. I believe it will fit under a stock hood with no lift (like my Bronco). Problem is the diameter of the housing. No way it will work with the stock throttle linkage setup.

Here is the thread with the 'stang cleaner installed. Note the absence of the OEM throttle linkage. Unfortunately the thread de-evolved.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300052

OP
OP
T

turbotim2

Years ago, I tried one because of the one on this forum. I believe it will fit under a stock hood with no lift (like my Bronco). Problem is the diameter of the housing. No way it will work with the stock throttle linkage setup.

Here is the thread with the 'stang cleaner installed. Note the absence of the OEM throttle linkage. Unfortunately the thread de-evolved.

Thanks, I read through that one. I don't know if that air cleaner will fit my setup. I am going to have to make something I guess!

RonJones

Contributor
What is that one? Looks like you have a non stock hood?

WH “Highlander” hood from the turn of the century; 1” body lift. With a thick carb gasket to stop percolating, it also needs a low profile lid.

Ram Air Box

Air Inlet Systems
905-549-6135

4x6.5 Intake Snorkel

14x4S Ram Air Box

Attachments

• 13A54554-DCFE-4F1B-BD46-C8628729E07F.png
    13A54554-DCFE-4F1B-BD46-C8628729E07F.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 61
  • C683D3EA-D482-496F-ACAA-A15E6FC19B91.png
    C683D3EA-D482-496F-ACAA-A15E6FC19B91.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 61

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Darn-it!
I was really looking forward to using one of those, but I plan to continue using the factory throttle linkage.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
T

turbotim2

X2. Stock hood.

Which one is that? I have looked through the webpage and couldn't seem to find that one. Can you tell me what the height is from carb surface to top? And how much body lift do you have? Thanks!