• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

408 stroker head and cam suggestions

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I'm building a 408 EFI stroker using a 1995 F4TE roller block with forged crank. Using a 351 GT 40 upper and lower. Obviously these rigs don't see much over 4000 rpm so I'm looking for good torque between 1500 and 4000 rpms. Looking to keep the compression ratio between 9:1 and 10:1. The truck has a C4 with 3.54 gears. Gears and trannie may be upgraded in the future. Pistons are going to be JE SRP 19 - 28 CC (Haven't made up my mind yet). Would like to be no lower than 60 cc on the heads.

Looking for cam and head suggestions. Any 408 stroker build threads would be appreciated. Haven't found a lot in my search here.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Heads well I'd go with the brand you like and 2.02/160 valves no real need for the best heads out there but if thats what you want go for it.
As for cam hard to say I'd narrow down your overall gearing you can run a little larger cam with a stroker and not see a loss in lowend torque. but if you go to big you may need a higher stall torque converter. I would call a few cam companies and get there recommendations

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
funny the torqiest engine I ever had was a 350 chevy in my 73 jeep. After 20 years it still accererates faster than you can hang on and will cruise 70 easy it does kind of start to loose it at 80-85 but I wouldn't drive that thing that fast anyway.

32" tires, 373 rear,

The experts at several cam grinders said my engine would even run. :)

350 chevy, 9:1 compression, 305 truck heads with like a 185 intake valve, rams horn manifolds and a stock chevy dual plane cast iron manifold, heaviest largest diameter flywheel that chevy ever made for the small block. Built 100% for torque.

The cam was the shortest duration chevy small block cam I could find but had quite a bit of lift. Several people made one it was listed as a 305 RV cam. With an RPM range of 1200-2500 rpm if I remeber right. I have since sold it to a buddy of mine and all my recoreds whet with him.

but this thing would easily cruise 70 with some left over for passing. getting ther was fun. offroad it was a monster, when I fuel injected it ten years later it became easier to drive :).

It accelerated so fast and hard I had to wire the q-jet secondaries to only oper about a 1/4 inch or it was just dangerous. I know a lot of this is big engine light jeep but it wont be much different that what you are trying to build it I read you right.

There isn't really a lot of information out there about building an engine to make big torque numbers and most of what you do find is still really written forthe street and everyone worries about loosing the top end even the cam grinders dont really understand (or at least they didnt) an offroaders desire to make stump pulling torque. I guess they are afraid you will get mad if you cant run 100MPH in your Bronco.

If you use stock ford cast iron heads with a little port work and a just a regular old 351 RV cam that thing will have awesome torque and still make very good on the highway. To make good torqu you want HIGH lift and very little overlap. You can spend more money on some specialty grind and high dollar heads but your gains will not be as dramatic as if you were building something to run at wide open throttle. When running an engine to a max of 3500 to 4000 you just dont need or want the stuff you end up buying on the aftermarket. You could spend a lot of money on heads and actually hurt the build. Port match and clean flash only on hte stock style heads. Do you really want to double the cost of you build and not make any real gains in the 1000-2500 rpm range? You might even spend that money and hurt low end torque.

My experience is keep your compression ratio below 9:1 PERIOD if you run a 351 RV cam in a 408 stroker motor. Since there isn't as much overlap there is less scavanging and the engine will actually run very well due to the EGR qualities of this type of cam , but you have to start it and when starting the cylinders are clean with fresh fuel charge and it will rattle and tax the heck out of a starter. :)

when I built my torqer 25 years ago I went against all the experts recomendations and was very happy I did. I had one nationally respected cam grinder flat tell me the 350 would even run on that cam. :)

I am collecting parts for a 393 roller mtr. My intent is to run stock heads and a 351 RV cam. Yes the engine will not make hugh HP numbers, Yes it will be well under the peak power it could make. But it will out pull a hot 351 up to and above highway speed. If a cam will run a 351 to highway speed to will run a stroker past that speed. Yes its not as effiecient as it could be but it will make more torque across the board than the 351 just due to the larger displacement.

No need for high stall torque converters on a properly built torque engine.

big cubes will run more overalp and idle stably than a smaller engine. You can put more cam in it but would you use it? ANything that slides the torque curve out to the right will hurt you offraod even though it will be awesome on the street. It is really nice to have an engine that will lug down at idle and keep going. Its also easier on your clutch. All you need to do is figure out where you want you top end. If its just cruising down the highway and an occational pass, a 351 RV cam is probably the way to go.

Like an old guy told me when I was young and caught up in what magazines said to do," If you build an engine and never need to run it wide open throttle you wasted some money somehwere."

Last edited:

Amac70

ME
i just pulled a stock cam out of a f4te and it is night and day difference between it and the cam i replaced it with. no comperison. Stock cam didn't pull half as hard as the current one. its like oogryhed said it is short duration with a lot of lift. pulls hard from idle to about 5300 pulls really hard from 2500 to 5300. It this point i would never recomend a stock cam. The stock ho might go a little higher in the revs, but i guarantee mine will get you there faster. made the bronco fun to drive again.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Its a hard thing to explain because ALL the hot rod magazines and bench racers are concentrating on street racing the SB fords in thier mustangs and thats exactly the opposite of what you want in an offroad vehicle.

My old 71 302 Flat tappet RV cam Bronco runs 75 at 2500 rpm. Everything else is bone stock 71 except the SD 87 EFI and some ebay shorty headers I modified from a mustang. There is no reason for me to build an engine that makes peak torque above say 2500 rpm or maybe less, but I do want teh low end torque that comes with 100 more cubic inches. Funny thing is that same 302 RV cam will run that 408, and it will idle like a champ and have excellent throttle response, and believe it or not pretty much the same or better top end. I wouldnt do it becasue you could get so much more lift with a good aggressive high lift short duration roller cam.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
OH there's lots of stuff you could do but to me its a huge waste to build a stroker and then choke it down with stock heads heck stock heads are barely fit for a 302 and it does you little good to build a engine that has larger displacement if your not going to allow it to displace the air it needs to. Doesnt really matter what RPM range you intend to run it needs to breathe and your throwing away power without decent heads. You just dont need the biggest ones out there as thats where you may lose some lowend power although really with a stroker your gaining lowend anyway with nothing more than just the increased stroke.
Sure you can run stock heads and you may out run a similar equipped 351 but not by much.
I've got some big heads on my 302 and it runs a lot better than most others out there. throttle response is great and power is there at all levels defintely more than what my stock heads were giving me. Sure if I stepped down to a smaller size it might be even better but there were other reasons for the large heads I run.