• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W non-functional on high incline

chuzie

Bronco Guru
My trusty 4R70W has served me quite well over the years. Just got back from Moab and, for the first time, experienced a situation I did not like at all.

I was on an obstacle with a very high incline angle and lost power in all gears. I shifted from D to R to 2 to 1, gave it gas and got nothing. After winching up and level, it worked great. Happened again later in the day on another high incline obstacle.

The fluid level is fine, so I'm wondering what could be causing this to occur. On an incline, all the fluid is certainly in the pan so I don't see the incline starving the pump pickup, right?

Looking for enlightenment and guidance please.

Yes, I know I should get a manual transmission and never worry about this again. Let's just assume I'm stubborn as hell for the sake of argument. ;)

Thanks,
Mike

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I'd be kind of stubborn too, now that I've experienced the joys of the wonderful 4R70W myself.
Sure sounds like fluid starvation to me. Is it possible for the fluid pick up to drop down out of the transmission body and then be sucking air? I've heard of it on other transmissions, but not sure about this one.
When a C4 does it it's usually low on fluid, or something wrong with the pick up tube. Seems like that's what I remember the discussions about anyway.

Good luck! That would suck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Fluid starve is the only thing it could be. The pump was sucking air. Why was it sucking air? Steeper climb than you have ever had before? Transmission service and the filter isn't pulling fluid the same as before? Knock the filter out of the valve body? Sucks air sooner?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
probably tranny fluid running out of the pan and ending in the Tranny adapter. C-4 will do this too. Ford used the deep pan pick-up to help but doesnt solve the issue. I have seen the results of this happening at Los Coyotes Indian reservation over 20 years ago. nasty slam down the hill. Goes up so far then free fall backwards. But this is some really steep vertical stuff going up hill. very nice guy with a great Bronco his nick name was Tiger.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Sounds like I need to drop the pan and look at ways to modify the pickup tube.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is tranny fluid SUPPOSE to leak into the adapter? I seem to have tranny fluid dripping off the transfer case...

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Not this ZF adapter, if my memory serves, we have a seal in the front that protects both the sealed bearing and the D20 from ATF.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have seen the seal fall out in the transfer case adaptor. Is the transfer case now overfilled and red?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
No. That's the first thing I checked. Somehow that darn seal has held up very well.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could be as simple as the wrong filter for the pan. Early filters didn't have the pickup tube built in.

Attachments

• 20180813_183921.jpg
    20180813_183921.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180815_163106.jpg
    20180815_163106.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Well crap. Now I absolutely have to go look!

That might be the cleanest transmission I've ever seen!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Some filter kits probably lack that extension. That way they will fit either oil pan.
From what I remember the car pans have the flat bottom, they make nice trays. The truck pans have the bump and the extension.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Some filter kits probably lack that extension. That way they will fit either oil pan.
From what I remember the car pans have the flat bottom, they make nice trays. The truck pans have the bump and the extension.
where can I get a truck pan? and what applications/years should I look for?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Explorers have the dimpled truck pan. Mustangs have the flat bottom pan.
I will guess that most 4R70W will have the truck pan. There really isn't anything special about it. If there is the bump in the bottom of the pan, that is it. If it is flat, it isn't.

Dannyboy71

Very, informative thread for me, my filter does not have that extended tube. Does anybody happen to have a part number?

pbwcr

Just go to NAPA and buy a 4x4 filter that came with your trans, then measure to see if it fits your pan.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Here it is. Filter has a pickup tube integrated. Are you saying there's another variant with a longer tube?

Btw, pan is dimpled for tube.

8599f2fb311cbf356e55e3e653d66af1.jpg

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Well i guess I'll dissect filter.
Other than that, I'm at a loss.