• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w or c4???

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am guessing that a Mercury Mountainer has the same 4r70w with nothing different for wires?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go with the newer tranny, the 4r70w.

C4 parts are getting harder to find and more poorly made.

I wish I would have made the swap before I dropped a grand into my C4 to make it right.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why the obsession over the 75? It has 1 part that is a hair better then the 70. And that part is only better for sustained towing heavy loads at full throttle.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Read this post in another thread and wanted to post it up since 4r70w seems to be the topic of the week.

"BTW, the explorer 4R70w will not bolt up to the NP205, you need the truck output shaft and housing. The explorer TC has a 5 bolt pattern and a the wrong spline count. The truck has the standard ford 6 bolt and 31 spline shaft. I took a TC to adapter from an explorer in the wrecking yard and compared it too my NP205. I am now buying a truck adapter and output shaft since I started from a car AOD."

So what trucks have the 4r70w with the 5.0 bolt pattern?

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Hmmm.... I'm not sure how I mounted a NP 205 to my 4R??? I guess I shouldn't sound like a smart ass, but the 205 will mount to a Explorer 4r 4x4 transmission with a little grind on the adapter. My mounted up fine.
I guess that I should have read your post a little closer. I believe we are saying the same thing. You need the Explorer 4r from a 5.0 and 4x4.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Read this post in another thread and wanted to post it up since 4r70w seems to be the topic of the week.

"BTW, the explorer 4R70w will not bolt up to the NP205, you need the truck output shaft and housing. The explorer TC has a 5 bolt pattern and a the wrong spline count. The truck has the standard ford 6 bolt and 31 spline shaft. I took a TC to adapter from an explorer in the wrecking yard and compared it too my NP205. I am now buying a truck adapter and output shaft since I started from a car AOD."

So what trucks have the 4r70w with the 5.0 bolt pattern?

So someone grabbed a transfer case off a 4.0 V6 Explorer and wonders why it doesn't fit a V8? Enough people have done the Explorer 5.0 V8 4R70W directly to a NP205 that we know it can be done. If it can't, you have the wrong parts.

The 5.0 bolt pattern can be found behind the 5.0 V8 and the 3.8 and 4.2 V6 (Mustang and F150 V6). Not the 4.0 V6, Not the 4.6 V8

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Ok so I have a np205 and a 351w I would like to find the right 4r70w for it, so what would be the best one. Thanks guys Robert...

there is a guy in Vancouver, WA that parts out Ford 5.0s... mustangs and explorers. let me see if I can find his contact info. I bought my 4R70W from him for $150. It was from a 2000 explorer. He doesn't see much demand for them so is willing to sell cheap. He gets a lot of demand for the Explorer serp setup.

I thought you trailered your rig? do you want the 4R70W for overdrive? what do you have now?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
also - 1997 and up have a digital 12 pin range sensor. Before that, they have an 8 pin analog range sensor.

1992 to 2003 have a 6 pulse OSS (output shaft speed sensor)
2004 and later have a 24 pulse.

depending on how you do your speedometer this may be important. I went with the shorty Atlas with no speedo hole so if I ever get around to it, i'll need to use the OSS to get speed info.

although... the new Optishift will display your speed on its digital display.