• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w Rebuild Advice

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The ZF adaptor bolts to the stock 4x4 4R70W adaptor. It converts the full size transfer case pattern (large 6-bolt circle and 31 spline input) to the Bronco small 6-bolt circle transfer case pattern and has a new spud shaft (input shaft in the transfer case that slides on the transmission output shaft). It is called the ZF adaptor since it was developed for mating the ZF 5-speed manual to the Bronco transfer case. Really all it does is adapt the front of the Bronco Dana 20 to mate as if it were a full size transfer case.

The AOD based adaptor (because it was originally developed for mating the AOD to the Bronco Dana 20) is a new tail housing and output shaft, and new spud shaft for the transfer case. It has transfer case mounting like the stock Bronco (The ZF uses the later model single transfer case mount). It is a single piece. You are not stacking as many parts (4R70W > full size tailhousing > ZF adaptor > transfer case) or (4R70W > AOD adaptor > transfer case).

The ZF adaptor is great if you plan on using the transmission as you pulled it out of the donor. As long as the donor was 4WD it is just shorten the output shaft (angle grinder) and bolt stuff together.
The AOD adaptor is my preferred method, if the transmission started as a 2WD and/or it is getting a full rebuild.

I believe the clocking ring adaptor is the ZF adaptor. Unless someone wants to point out something different.
Clocking ring adapter also has AA adapter housing but includes clocking ring and correct spline spud for only the 4x4 output shaft.

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"4r70w Rebuild Advice
I'm taking my 4r70w to the transmission shop for a rebuild (tailshaft will need to be swapped) before it's mated to the adapter and the Dana 20"

You dont have to swap the tail shaft since it's a 4x4 Explorer trans.

You do if you have the Advance AOD Adapter. No cutting off shafts or messing with clocking ring or ZF single mount nonsense. I wanted to keep my Dana 20 as well.

wsager

If you need a new home for that tail shaft, let me know. I’m over at Disney all the time, have a 5 year old.

wsager

Looks like I won’t be there until the beginning of August. If you still have it around then, that would be awesome. I can PM you?

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Bringing up an old thread because I’m going to take the time to learn how to rebuild the 99 trans I have before I install it. I would like to build it up with any upgrades parts while I’m going through it.

**Phil helped me out

Last edited:

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Viperwolf,

The first part on your list doesn't seem to be available from WIT (R76024), but they have a 76024 (a relined unit) and B76024 (Borg-Warner unit). Are either of these suitable or should I just get the R76024 off Ebay? I respect your opinion and will follow your advice when I make my purchases. Thanks for everything you, and others like you, contribute to this site.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf,

The first part on your list doesn't seem to be available from WIT (R76024), but they have a 76024 (a relined unit) and B76024 (Borg-Warner unit). Are either of these suitable or should I just get the R76024 off Ebay? I respect your opinion and will follow your advice when I make my purchases. Thanks for everything you, and others like you, contribute to this site.

The B/W band is fine.

Greenflan2

I recently pulled a 4r70w out of a 01 explorer and considering rebuilding it for this upgrade as well. The trans appears to be in good shape from pulling the pan, which looked like it had never been removed, but I was surprised at how clean the pan and magnet were. My question is how hard or technical is this rebuild as a diy if you order the parts and follow the Transmission Bench videos? I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined but I’ve never opened up a transmission, other than pan removal for routine fluid changes. Part of me thinks I could do it but I also fear the unknown of tearing it apart and not being able to get it back together. Won’t know if I don’t try but I don’t want to waste time and money if it is success is unlikely. Part of my concern is not knowing what I’ll really be getting if I pay someone else to do it. Any advice from someone who has done this on their own rig without a lot of prior experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
It's not too bad. Just made double sure everything is clean and then clean it again. lol :)
The hardest part is getting the 2 drums apart but making squeeze-o-matic gets you over that hurdle...
you got this... :)

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I recently pulled a 4r70w out of a 01 explorer and considering rebuilding it for this upgrade as well. The trans appears to be in good shape from pulling the pan, which looked like it had never been removed, but I was surprised at how clean the pan and magnet were. My question is how hard or technical is this rebuild as a diy if you order the parts and follow the Transmission Bench videos? I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined but I’ve never opened up a transmission, other than pan removal for routine fluid changes. Part of me thinks I could do it but I also fear the unknown of tearing it apart and not being able to get it back together. Won’t know if I don’t try but I don’t want to waste time and money if it is success is unlikely. Part of my concern is not knowing what I’ll really be getting if I pay someone else to do it. Any advice from someone who has done this on their own rig without a lot of prior experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

I just rebuilt a 98 4R70W and had never even had a tranny pan off ;D. I got the parts list from Phil and ordered everything from WIT. Comparing it to other things I’ve done on my Bronco I would say the rebuild was in the easier side.

I just drove it for the first time and everything works ;D

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
I have a question to add to this great discussion. But first some details. I'm performing a '97 Explorer 5.0 swap. I've made it through the transmission rebuild part of this without any problems. My question pertains to the transfercase, specifically the Atlas II. Is there any modifications needed to the output shaft of the transmission to directly bolt the Atlas II to it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have a question to add to this great discussion. But first some details. I'm performing a '97 Explorer 5.0 swap. I've made it through the transmission rebuild part of this without any problems. My question pertains to the transfercase, specifically the Atlas II. Is there any modifications needed to the output shaft of the transmission to directly bolt the Atlas II to it?

With a properly optioned Atlas and a 4WD transmission tailhousing with matching output shaft. no.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Good luck with the project and hope it works well for you!
The transmission bench videos are good and thorough, sometimes too much so... ;)