• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w swap

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you are handy I used Microsquirt to control mine. I built the harness from the pig tails off the trans and the pig tails off the Microsquirt. Downloaded the frimware and it shifted fine. I have since used my laptop to adjust when it shifts and how hard so it works the way I like it. If you go this way I will share my wiring and current transmission tune.

In any scenario you need a TPS to send the trans controller info. Possibly a MAP sensor for load also. If you are not EFI these are things to consider.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

I have 89 mustang efi. May switch to Fitech later. Not sure

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have 89 mustang efi. May switch to Fitech later. Not sure

The USShift (baumann) controller will work with either. The only thing that you may have to do is reset the idle TPS voltage in the controller (a keystoke) when you change systems.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

What would I need to switch to explorer efi? Harnes, computer and distributor?

Hi All,

I have 74 bronco that I rebuilt the original motor and then swapped in a 2001 4R70W from a mercury mountaineer. I put 4,000 miles on the rebuild and swap them the crankshaft pushed forward in the block due to thrust bearings wearing out.

I have no completed rebuild number 2 on the engine and had the flex plate and torque converter checked out for being the correct application I'm using them for.

I would like to know if anyone else has had any issues with this swap similar to mine. I am working to find a transistor shop that will do some diagnostics for me but so far most tell me they dint want to deal with it because it's too custom.

When it was running everything shifted fine and I did a drive to Moab and back last fall without any issues.

I wrote the post off my phone because my computer was being occupied. So the spelling errors are from not seeing them in the screen.

Corrections include: *transmission shop and *didn't want to work on it.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
What issue are you having with the transmission?

Hi All,

I have 74 bronco that I rebuilt the original motor and then swapped in a 2001 4R70W from a mercury mountaineer. I put 4,000 miles on the rebuild and swap them the crankshaft pushed forward in the block due to thrust bearings wearing out.

I have no completed rebuild number 2 on the engine and had the flex plate and torque converter checked out for being the correct application I'm using them for.

I would like to know if anyone else has had any issues with this swap similar to mine. I am working to find a transistor shop that will do some diagnostics for me but so far most tell me they dint want to deal with it because it's too custom.

When it was running everything shifted fine and I did a drive to Moab and back last fall without any issues.

From the initial install there were not any issues that I noticed with the transmission. It shifted through the gears fine. Driving around town or on the freeway it worked fine.

When I noticed the thrust wearing out was when driving uphill slowly or slowly in reverse there was a grinding sound coming from the bellhousing. When I went to look at what was causing this, I noticed the crankshaft sliding forwards and backwards in the block. So the flex plate was riding forward and hitting the engine plate between the bell housing and block.

Then I tore the engine down for another rebuild because there was metal shavings in the oil and valve train.

The only other issue I had was the front hub of the torque converter was firmly stuck into the back of the crankshaft. It took 2 - 3 foot pry bars to get it separated.

It was there that I began checking the flexplate and torque converter. I called around to a couple manufacturers and told them what I was doing and we determined I had the right combination of both the flexplate and the torque converter for my application.

I have now installed the newly rebuilt engine and so far have not had any problems with the transmission. It is operating very similar to 8 months ago. Shifts fine and firm, downshifts, good operating temperature, etc. Nothing saying anything is really wrong.

I just can't help but think something had to push the torque converter into the crankshaft causing the thrust to wear out.

The only next steps I can think of are pressure checks on the transmission and then making sure the Torque converter pressure switch is working correctly. I am sure there are other areas to look at but transmissions are not my expertise.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Just make sure the torque converter is installed into the transmission all the way. There are multiple splines you have to engage with and the last one is a little further and trickier to get than you would expect.