• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 Build Complication

bronccar

Just my week I guess.

I bought the boxes linked below from Rockauto (which I usually have great luck with) and either I ordered the wrong thing or they had the wrong part specified.

I'll post up some pics in a bit of the actual parts I received.

Anyway, I disassembled both gears and the worm gear from the 4x2 box won't fit. The piston at the top is too large (diameter) and it's not even the same design.

I cross referenced the part numbers I ordered and they seem to fit the criteria.

Any input is appreciated.

BCB instructions:

http://www.bcbroncos.com/power_steering_conversion how to.htm

4x2 Box

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3027030&cc=1121218&jsn=500

4x4 Box

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=31229&cc=1105625&jsn=591

Thanks!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The longer 4x4 box you show in picture number two is not the correct box. That box has four bolts holding the sector shaft in and the body is completely incorrect. It is not the 78/79 Bronco/F150 box that you need.

In the links in your first post, both boxes pictured are correct. Compare the 4x4 box you have with the one in the photo. The bolt holes and pattern are completely different as is the rest of the body. You need the one in the picture in the link.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Looks like that black box bolts to the inside of the frame too. Definitely the wrong one. The Rock auto picture looks right just not the one they sent you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The long box looks like a 2WD box. Completely different in the 70's from the 4WD box that you need.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks all. I'll get is straightened out next week hopefully.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like posted above the long box is a 73-79 Ford 2 wheel drive box. You need a 76-79 4x4 F150 or 78-79 Bronco Bronco box

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Yeah I was shooting for the 4wd box but RA doesn't obviously differentiate and I guess I picked the cheap one.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The weird thing is that the box pictured on RA is the 4x4 box, but that price is less than a normal core charge let alone a rebuilt box.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Yeah I did all this research, saw those prices and couldn't understand why ppl were charging what they charge for a 4x4x2 box.

I don't know how or why I ended up with the 277504 vs the 277507 cardone but that's clearly the issue.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Update!

Rockauto acknowledged that it was cataloged incorrectly and they are issuing a full refund even though I has disassembled the unit :)

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
What was the final update on this, did you ever get the correct box from them? And were you able to put together a 4x4x2 box?

Mark

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Hey Mark,

Got it today should get to it tomorrow or first of the week. I'll post the outcome.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Son of a %*#^@;@

It's still not the right box. One of the boxes on RA indicates "quick ratio" and is a hell of a lot more expensive.

These two things clearly aren't the same....

tmp_7504-1678559598.jpg

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sucks.

I have a converted box for sale if you want to go that route.