• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 EFI, Dakota Digital VSS issues

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
So how did you do it? I just bought two mustang vss and they won't piggyback. Wtf? What kind of vss did you use??????? I am soooooooo sick of this.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Like I said in your other thread, you have to slightly bore out one of the VSSs so the piggyback shaft will fit. Be careful as it is plastic and will go fast. Then you have to trim / grind the housing as needed to get it to fit against the D20 being careful not to encroach on the internals.

Round peg / round hole. Just make the hole the right size.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Ok got it thanks! Now I just need to hear back from auto meter to make sure this vss will work with their gauge. I'm gonna be $&@$$&)()@ if it won't.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Good luck, so far this set up has been working great since installed. Yes I use two Ford vss's

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
So when you wired your vss up could you tell which white was high side signal and which was low? Both my wires are the same color.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
If I recall, rjm provided 2 wires for the vss, Dakota digital provided 2 spots on in computer...just make those connections

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I think my autometer only has one spot. He told me today to ground the other wire. Maybe I need to call him back. Grrrr.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
He told me that it would work and that one wire is a high side signal and the other a low. He said to just ground the low side to the engine or tranny. But like I said earlier I have no idea which is which.i wish I knew how to check it. Right now the body is off and I can get to everything. I don't want to have to come back later and redo it.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I think DD reconfigured their vss, I'm running only the DD vss and haven't had any problems yet.

Jim W.

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Thanks Dd sounds great. Working the bugs out.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN AUROMETET they have been able to Get to work right?

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I've been looking at some mustang forums and they don't seem to be having much trouble. The guy at autometer is telling me now to just splice it in. Should be fine. Should be. I hate backtracking. I know you were having some difficulty. I wonder if there is a difference between dd and am? What were your vss's out of? I can go either way now. I have the original 3 wire sender that came with gauge and I also got two piggybacked mustang vss that will now fit in. I'm trying extra hard to build this harness nice and neat, I really don't want to tear it apart again.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I kinda feel like we're all going round and round here. Are you even at a point to test and drive? I don't think so, and until you are...you're wanting us to figure this out for you. Problem is, I didn't use autometer...you are. You keep wanting to know where our vss's came from...it's been posted, but you already have 2 that fit-use them. This is on you to communicate with AM bout using a 2 wire vss, surely those ppl can tell you. DD did...and they told me, and I made it work. This is not that hard, making 2 vss work in a tiny spot was. Good luck

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If you want to make it as clean as possible, run 2 sets of wires, when you get it running then we can help with a little more clarity when we have vehicle feedback. Until then it's a WAG on our part. Best I can offer at this point, sorry.

Jim W.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Don't get snippy, I'm not mad...maybe aggravated. But you have asked basically the same questions a few times. And autometer has giving you about 3 ways to wire this up...do they really know what they are talking about?? DD did not care what signal it got, didn't care how many wires the vss had, but he knew where I needed to make my connections using whatever vss I chose to use.