• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Fan??

PatC

Loc.
Austin, Tx
Question. I am doing a 5.0 conversion with a serp set up from a 91 mustang. What size fan is recommended? Also, most of the sites sell a clockwise and a counter clock wise fan. Which one is used for this application? I am limoted on space so I was not sure if I should go with an electric fan. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions would be apprecitate.

Also I have read a bunch of threads on spacers, Is there a particular sized spacer to use. 1/4", 1/2"?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
IN have all the p/ns at home, but I used a reverse rotation flex fan, not the cheaper one but the $60 big blade one and 1.5" spacer I think. It does great on the trail.

Ron Gildersleev

Loc.
DFW
I used a Hayden 3528 18.25" CCW & a 1.75" spacer. I can slip my fingers between fan & rad. w/o a problem. RG

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
PatC said:
Question. I am doing a 5.0 conversion with a serp set up from a 91 mustang. What size fan is recommended? Also, most of the sites sell a clockwise and a counter clock wise fan. Which one is used for this application? I am limoted on space so I was not sure if I should go with an electric fan. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions would be apprecitate.

Also I have read a bunch of threads on spacers, Is there a particular sized spacer to use. 1/4", 1/2"?
BC sells what you need -- go to this page --

http://bcbroncos.com/store/index.php?cPath=27_23_49

Watch out for the flex fans with this application -- you don't have much clearance with that 5.0, and when they "flex" they can make bad things happen. I'd stick with a steel 17" fan - that's what I used on mine. If I'm not mistaken, you want the ccw rotation with the serp setup because your pump is reverse rotation. I would verify that ccw is correct with "whoever" you end up purchasing from.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
They aren't a bolt in affair. I have one and would require alot of cutting somewhere to make it fit.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
iwlbcnu said:
They aren't a bolt in affair. I have one and would require alot of cutting somewhere to make it fit.
Yep you will have to move the radiator out approx. 2" to make it fit. I just done this and it does cool very well, but now I have to upgrade my alternator.