• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 valve cover issues?

icemanup

Loc.
Ripley WV
Hey guys trying to button up my 5.0 swap and have run into a snag.
Using a 5.0 out of a 95 mustang. Running a carb not efi. Kept the front serpentine setup. Was gonna just put my old valve covers on it since they're a pretty nice set of MT covers but the passenger side valve cover won't fit. Front of the cover hits the back of alt. Short of buying new valve covers is there anything you can suggest. Have the original covers, could these be modified to accept a PCV valve and a breather? If so what would you suggest.

Hate to order another set of covers and potentially have the same issue.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Alex

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When doing my ranger I had a little issue with the valve cover and the alternator. Different valve cover and different alternator, but maybe the same solution. I had to grind a little clearance on the bracket for the valve cover to fit into. When all said and done there was no way to remove the valve cover without first removing the alternator bracket, but it worked and cleared just fine. Not sure if it will work for you but it was my solution for a very similer problem.

OP
OP
icemanup

icemanup

Loc.
Ripley WV
Mine is not hitting on the bracket it is contacting the alt right on the electrical plug on the back of the alt. From what I've been reading on one of the mustang forums it looks like the serpentine setup on the 94-95 mustangs move the alt back about 1/2 inch. Man I'd like to have that half inch back.
Any other suggestions

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Can to remove the bolts holding the alternator together and reclock the back cover? We did this all the time when working at the parts store.

OP
OP
icemanup

icemanup

Loc.
Ripley WV
Don't thing reclocking is an option, it's a 3G style alt so the back cover is about the same all across. Reclock and I think there would be issues with the post for the cable. Any other ideas?

Doyle

Bronco Guru
How much room you need? Small amount, could you trim the valve covers edge? Need more, space out the belt driven accesseries.