• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

50oz. flywheel ?

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
Can you pick up a 50oz flywheel at the parts store to fit a C4?
I'm not really sure what car or truck to get it from. For a 302

01JLH

You specifically say for a 302. Please make sure you need a 50 oz imbalance. 302's up to a specific year required 28 oz imbalance. I believe the later motors designated 5.0 (actually 302 cubic inches) were 50 oz.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depends on what torque convertor you have as well. If it is the small 10.5" bolt circle convertor, a late model flexplate never existed for that. You can't even get the 164 tooth version for the old engine balance either. Obsolete.

If you have the larger 11.4" bolt circle convertor then a late model flexplate for an AOD works fine. '88 Mustang 5.0 or a '00 Explorer with the 5.0 are all good.

What you do not want is a flexplate for a C6 or E4OD application. They look correct, bolt to the engine, correct number of teeth, correct bolt circle. Problem is offset is wrong and will put a thrust load on the transmission and crankshaft.

All the above assumes you actually have a Bronco C4 (or truck/large car) that uses the 164 tooth flexplate. If you have a typical car transmission that usually has the smaller 157 tooth flexplate. You will only experience that if someone has done a conversion kit on a C4 to fit it into a Bronco.

OP
OP
k13evin

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
81 block mustang. Should be 50oz right. It's a C4 that came out of a bronco. I used a 28oz but there is alot of vibration in it. That's why I'm guessing I should have used the 50oz

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
81 block mustang. Should be 50oz right. It's a C4 that came out of a bronco. I used a 28oz but there is alot of vibration in it. That's why I'm guessing I should have used the 50oz

Did you reuse the harmonic balancer? Balancers can slip and cause vibrations also. 81-82 was the transition year from 28 to 50 so it is hard to tell. if you determine it is a 50oz balance you will have to change both the harmonic balancer and the flywheel.

OP
OP
k13evin

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
Yeah the harmonic balancer was a 50oz. Just checked the stamping on it. I guess it slipped my mind when I changed all that stuff. So can I get a 50oz flywheel from the part store to work. Or will I have to order online

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you confirmed the wrong flexplate. The only question is what size is the bolt circle on the torque convertor. You will need the new flex plate no matter what, but don't know if you need a new convertor to match or not.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Bronco came with two different bolt circle torque convertors. Do you remember which one you have? Typically (and Broncos have proven to prove us wrong whenever "typical" is expected) the '73 and '77 are the big bolt circle and the '74-'76 are the small bolt circle.

In short, we don't know what you are working with.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I did the reverse....last year . I pulled my 3 speed, swapped in a C4 from 50oz motor. I could tell something was not right with my first test run . I installed a 28 oz flex plate , smoothed it right out. I held on to the 50oz I removed, one less thing to check off this list for my Explorer swap

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
I was able to change mine in a few hours .... I didn't drop the trans , I just backed it up far enough to get the job done . If you verified you have a 50oz balancer change the flex plate . But I have a question..., could you change the harmonic Balancer ? To match your current FlexPlate ? I'm don't know if that can be done .

OP
OP
k13evin

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
what part number did you use or what year make and model did you get if from?
i did ive got 24oz up front and back. but the thing is shaking a bit much

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
You don't want my part number, I bought a 28oz If your sure you have a 50 oz Harmonic Balancer you need a 50 oz Flex plate . Like it was mentioned there are two size Torque Converter . Either pull yours then match it for what you need or buy both and return the one you don't need .

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Perhaps it's best to drop the oil pan and check the casting marks on the crankshaft to know if you have an externally balanced 50oz or 28oz.

I'm not getting any warm fuzzy's that we know the source of the problem yet.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> little more clarification about what Broncobowsher was saying .... except for the oddball setup, it's always 157 tooth flexplate with a 10 1/2" bolt pattern torque converter for use in the small bellhousings & 164 tooth flexplate with a 11 7/16" bolt pattern converter for use in the big/deeper bellhousings.... the oddball setup that came on some ford vehicles & some broncos (including mine) had the 164 tooth flexplate with a 10 1/2" converter bolt pattern.... the 10 1/2" bolt pattern converter used on the oddball setup had welded on pilot cup to make it work in the deeper big bellhousing..... below is a pic of my old oddball converter....I bought the rebuilt Dacco F48 -11 7/16" pattern converter for $35 plus a $20 core back in '04....the place I purchased it from mainly deals with shops in the area & wouldn't take the oddball converter as a core..... needed the converter when I went to the later 50oz. imbalance engine..... as mentioned a 164 tooth flexplate - 50oz. imbalance with a 10 1/2" bolt pattern for the torque converter doesn't exist......

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 16