• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'66 Only Options/Specs

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, Short shifter is an early rig thing. Restoring an August 1965 Roadster at the moment and it has:
eyebrow
short shifter
Ford wiring harness cut down and adapted from something else
long rod hood
metal fresh air box
had NO dash pad or holes for it
etc.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I know Elan has a 8/65' u13 with a short shifter, I believe he mentioned that it was cut down and was looking for a long one. This is the first mention of a short shifter since I've been on the forum. Another, who knows 66' bizarro item lol.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Short shifters are usually found on the August build broncos and the long shifters came about in September. The complaint was that the short shifters were harder to shift from one spot to another. Longer ones were placed for better leverage.

delconick

ok, i was just asked this same question. this is the best answer i can give after parting out more 66 broncos then i can count.

i have the earliest known roadster in existence in my shop right now and it has a short shifter. my September build roadster is a long. then i have a November build with a long also.

i believe they did start as short but were quickly made long for leverage.

but wait! there's more!

i have had 3 December build broncos with short shifters over the years and a while back i started asking questions. i was told by a ford guy that people were mistaking the long shifter for a transmission shifter so the shortened them up..... hmmm....

so is that the case? did ford shorten them back up? did ford pull a ford and use whatever the fuck they had on the shelf? did i just shit my pants?

find out next week on crazy bronco mysteries!

colby45

I have an 8/'65 U14 that has a long shifter that I am pretty positive is original.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They should have made them adjustable/telescoping like some of the 67 roadster mirrors!

Short shifter here has 8-14-65 dated gas tank in grease pencil.

lil bronco

so is that the case? did ford shorten them back up? did ford pull a ford and use whatever the fuck they had on the shelf? did i just shit my pants?

find out next week on crazy bronco mysteries!

Geez lotto family people on here.

Specracer

Sept build, long shifter here. And having many floor shift cars, I see how people easily mistaken, or instinctively go for the transfer case, thinking it's the transmission shift.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Planning '66 u14 project. The u14 currently has a wagon roof, and I have a 70 (I think) u14 parts bronk with a half cab. Any specific half cab differences like many of the above noted items ? Thanks.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Planning '66 u14 project. The u14 currently has a wagon roof, and I have a 70 (I think) u14 parts bronk with a half cab. Any specific half cab differences like many of the above noted items ? Thanks.

The holes on the 70' top where it meets your windshield frame won't match the holes on your windshield frame. The 66'-68'/early 69' had different hole pattern due to the vacuum wipers.

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Can someone give me measurements for either a "long" 66 shifter, or a "short" shifter.

My October 65 built truck had it's shifter shortened (probably to clear the NP435 shifter). I picked up an uncut shifter rod recently, but I don't know if its long or short. Mine is 18" including both threaded ends.

Thanks

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Where are best auto museum or open to public examples of 66 Bronks ? I'm in WY now, driving to AK. Back via ferry to WA state and somewhat (have Wife !) flexible route back to Deep South. Would like to get photos of the unique items described here if could hit on way home. Thanks for suggestions.