• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 Bronco Build.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How I got my halftop....

I posted a Half cab wanted ad here on CB and almost immediately I got a reply from someone who had exactly what I asked for. But was pretty far away so After looking for a few more weeks for a half top without any luck I set out on a 16 hour round trip to pick this one up After I got it home and looked it over I determined it was too far gone for me to use. So not wanting to waist the money I shelled out for it (not to mention the gas and tolls!) I decided that I would combine the 2 tops I had and make what I want. The front seam was gone on the half cab and the back was pretty dented up so I just cut the top pan off and did some rehab on the back because it was separating from the top pan anyway. The full top that I cut up to make the top pan out of was rotted along the bottom of the windows and the lower corners by the lift gate so I used it as a donor. Plus it had the hydraulic shocks put on the lift gate which I want to use those on my hood.
So with more welding help from Elkhart Bronco we got to work and combined the 2 tops. I took measurements from my original 69 U14 to make sure that it looks as close as possible to an original half top. Here are some pictures of the process. I will be finishing this part up and hopefully getting it painted on Saturday so I will post some more pics when I get it done.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1995.JPG
    IMG_1995.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Learning To Paint.

Here are some pictures of what I did Today.With the help of my neibor Chris I started Preping The half top for paint. Chris finished up some welding while I started sanding the old paint off and removed the seam sealer out of the rain gutter. We hope to have it painted on Tuesday.

Attachments

• half top 4.jpg
    half top 4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 67
  • half top 3.jpg
    half top 3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 53
  • half top 2.JPG
    half top 2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 51
  • half top 1.jpg
    half top 1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Safety First!

I just read a thread on here that made me stop and think about safety. I have had broncos ever since I have been able to drive and I have had some close calls on snow and icy roads. I think putting an internal roll bar in the halfcab is a good idea. Anyone have suggestions on where to get one? reading through the vendor fourm I found a few of them and they seem like they are good quality I am having trouble making the decision on which one to buy.?:?

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Looking good! Your plow rig is going to be nicer than most broncos out there! I passed up a half cab top this year cause it was rusted pretty bad on the front edge, wish I would have bought it and done the same thing you just did. That looks great!

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Extremecustomfab. Has a half cab kit . Looks like what I need. I would want the seat kit also I would feel safe driving around in this.
I am not sure if it would raise my bench seat up to far so that my leg will fit between the seat and steering wheel. Does anyone have one installed with a bench seat that could send me some pics?

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to the board newbie! No complaining about bronco's taking up garage space here... I doubt you’ll get much sympathy.... besides its almost done! Just a few more days……lol :-*

BrOnCoWiFeY

Thanks for the welcome! Was that a complaint? Or a simple statement? :p I'm not complaining....I'm not parking outside! :-*

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice...wifey! ;D
Finally I have some good news I test drove this Bronco today! I am pretty happy nothing blew up or broke. I still have some work to do on it.Here is the short list:
Get alignment
Bleed brakes
new exhaust pipes.
For some reason my floor shifter keeps hanging up I need to figure that out.
Install internal half cab cage.
Paint half top and install window (currently working on this project hope to be done Saturday.)
Put in a windshield wiper cover
Hook up radio speakers.
Put on a used tailgate because this one is shot!
Put on snow plow(after all this I hope we get some more snow this year!)
Por 15 the new floor boards
Put in new battery tray.
Install used windshield
As you all can see I still have a bunch to do. but if I get the first 3 things on the list done and then put the plow on I can take my time with the rest. I am sure more stuff will pop up... it always does but atleast there is light at the end of the tunnel.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Top is painted what about the rest?

I got The half top painted and it turned out exactly like I had hoped. My neighbor painted it for me. Thanks Chris! I took the pictures on my cell and sent them to my brother who said “dude, you’re gonna hafta make the rest of the truck look that good now.” Then my wife said basically the same thing! So… Guess ill paint the whole truck... I have to admit the top is pretty shiny !!. I attached The pics I sent my brother I know the body work is not perfect' but it doesn’t have to be for what the truck is going to be used for… keep in mind it is just a plow truck! ;D

Attachments

• 0116101713.jpg
    0116101713.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 0116101714.jpg
    0116101714.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 0116101715.jpg
    0116101715.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 0116101716.jpg
    0116101716.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good! Your plow rig is going to be nicer than most broncos out there! I passed up a half cab top this year cause it was rusted pretty bad on the front edge, wish I would have bought it and done the same thing you just did. That looks great!

Thanks for the compliment!

The top was a little more time consuming than I thought it would be but it really wasnt that hard to do.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes!.... Yes I could!!!! This one drops a little rust every time it opens or closes!! I Have to get the exhaust and alignment done on it first. I am waiting to see how much that is going to cost me.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got some bad (expensive) news today :( I took it in to get the alignment and exhaust put on and also have a second opinion on the condition of the brake lines. This is a place that I have been taking my cars to be repaired for about 5 years and have no reason not to trust them they have always done me right in the past. Here is the list that they gave me
Drivers side ball joints are binding up they need to be replaced.
Brake lines both steel and rubber are getting pretty bad should be replaced.
exhaust pipes trash. Mufflers are able to be re used even though they are 2 different sizes (2” and 2 1/8”)
shocks are not doing anything they need to be replaced also.
Also only 1 nut holding in the u joint on the front axle.

The total bill to have them fix all this is over $900.00 :eek: which is like 3 times more than I thought I would need! I am going to have the exhaust put on and bring it back home. Then fix the steering and brake lines and take it back to get the alignment. With me doing most of the work I should be able to knock a bunch off the 900.00 bill.

Anyone have suggestions for shocks? I would like to get the Duff shocks but am not sure how 30% compression and 70% rebound will work out with 200lbs of snow plow hanging off the front end.

The rest of the parts I will get at the local parts store.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I was watching that whole decent. Even Kelly was saying,"oh man...he's gonna flip." Nice save.

Good work there, BF. Ouchie on that repair bill. Yeah, try and knock out what you can yourself and save some coin. I like Duff shocks a lot, but springs are going to be a bigger factor with that heavy plow. I run Wild Horse springs with Duff shocks and am really happy with it overall. Only stock bumper and 302 though. I'd recommend some BC winch springs at the height you want with the plow.

it that will make it beautiful that way if I roll it (which I almost did that Day.)

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok exhaust is done and I got it back today it sounds pretty good so I am happy. The wife didn’t like that I had it dump out before the tires on both sides, she said that the exhaust coming out makes it look like the bronco has wings….. whatever! Anyway I am getting the ball joints installed tomorrow and will hopefully have it aligned by this time on Thursday. I am going to order James Duff shocks tomorrow and install them myself. I am going to stay with the front springs that are on it for now. The Brakes are going to wait until I get some more money rounded up they still work they just feel a little soft. I am going to try to get the plow hooked up this weekend. I have to work this weekend so not sure if I will get it done or not. By the way I am looking for some round plow lights if anyone has some they want to get rid of let me know.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not had much time to work on the bronco lately been working 7 days a week and have not had the energy to go out and do any wrenching lately.
I do have the ball joints replaced on the driver’s side knuckle and I replaced the axle u joint also. I finally ordered some Duff shocks and I am hoping to get Saturday off this week to put them on. I had to measure the shocks because I knew it had a lift but was unsure of how much, I was told by duffs it is a 3" lift. With any kind of luck I will have the alignment done next week.
I have attached some pictures of what the Bronco looks like now. I think it has come a long way since I started. Almost done with the mechanicals just a few things to finish up and I should be able to put the plow on, although I probably won’t use it much this year I will be ready for next year….
Enjoy the pics… Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The new shocks are on and The alignment is done! It drives a whole lot better!!! I have an afternoon worth of small things to finish up but the problem is getting the time to do it. I am most likely working seven days again this week so my "afternoon" will probably turn into a few evenings next week. Either way I hope to be putting on the snow plow soon and getting that working who knows what I will be getting into with that!