• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 Fun Continues

frdbronco73

it took me a while to get my rocker to fit. i used sheet metal screws in the old weatherstriping holes and it pulled it in. as for where it hits the stricker or door post i just used some body tools and got it to come close. if i do remember correctly i think i heated it up alittle. your peice might have been tweeked alittle during shipping. i know mine were.

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
it took me a while to get my rocker to fit. i used sheet metal screws in the old weatherstriping holes and it pulled it in. as for where it hits the stricker or door post i just used some body tools and got it to come close. if i do remember correctly i think i heated it up alittle. your peice might have been tweeked alittle during shipping. i know mine were.

Thanks for the response. I think I will put my striker in the driver side and mount my door and see if my work is right. If I can get the door in/adjusted correctly then I will feel a lot more comfortable.

Anthony

frdbronco73

when i put my door post on i mounted it with sheet metal screws then put the rocker on. it was easier than trying to get the rocker to fit tight. amazingly it worked for me. i think i took the door, the door post, and rocker off a dozen time to get it to fit correctly.

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
I dont know if mine was tweaked during shipping or not...though I dont think they were. I ordered 2 (pass and driver) and both are exactly the same. I assume there are a few issues working agaist me right now...I suspect that the aftermarket pieces arent as good a fit as I was hoping for and I assume that I might be off a bit on my mounting.

I took all the measurements I could (based on what metal was intact when I began), but never thought about the fact that the hinge post can be off (rotated a bit)...wow...that hurts my head when I re-read it. If not thoroughly confused, pic should help to screw ya up ;D Depending on the angle of the...um...feet that get welded to the kick panel, the hinge post could be rotated a few degrees and that could partially cause the issue I am having. If the hinge post is rotated too far to the front of the vehicle, then the rear will be a bit tighter than it should be for the rocker to fit and the opening at the front will be a bit too large for the rocker (kinda what is happening).

Kinda sucks...just sat here crying into my coffee because Im not positive which direction to go with this. Half thinking that I should just :mad: :mad: grind and drill out my new welds on my hinge post :mad: :mad: and start over from there.

Anthony

Attachments

• Driver Side Kick Inner Fender and Hinge Post Welded.JPG
    Driver Side Kick Inner Fender and Hinge Post Welded.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Though this does bring up a possibility. Could someone (or anyone) get me measurements on driver side from 1 to A,from 2 to B, from 3 to C, and from 4 to D? This would help me figure out what is indeed happening.

Thanks,

Anthony

Attachments

• Driver Hinge Post Welded.JPG
    Driver Hinge Post Welded.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Driver Striker Welded.JPG
    Driver Striker Welded.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
1 - A = 37 7/16
2 - B = 36 3/4
3 - C = 38 11/16
4 - D = 38 3/16

Very appreciated :)

I wish I had a garage at my place...have to work on my vehicle a few miles from home....so wont know for sure right away, but this will go a long way to help.

Anthony

frdbronco73

When you put your rocker in place do your old weather stripping holes line up. that might help finding which way it is off. if that makes any sence.

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
When you put your rocker in place do your old weather stripping holes line up. that might help finding which way it is off. if that makes any sence

It does make sense...and they do line up...sorta :D

It doesnt seem to be so much a front to back issue. I can get the holes to be fairly close to the originals on the inner rocker. Where I am not making progress is getting the outer rocker to go in flush with the inner rocker. When I push the outer rocker in, it is about 3/16" away from contacting the inner rocker on the rear and about 1/2" from contact on the front. That and the contours of the striker post and hinge post are not lining up worth a damn with the contours in the rocker.

Anthony

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
The lower measurements were taken just above the lower hinge due to the flare from the rocker.

Understood and thank you. After thinking about it I should have been a tad more specific than I was so I could be sure to measure from the same spot as you...but more than anything this will give me a measurement to show the difference between the inside and outside of the rocker...and if that makes no sense to you...it is probably because it barely makes sense to me :cry:

thanks again

Anthony

Dealercut66

Loc.
Hood River, OR
I sorta understand. My measurements are not running parallel and that sort of worries me. Should they be parallel? My door fits nicely.

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
I sorta understand. My measurements are not running parallel and that sort of worries me. Should they be parallel? My door fits nicely.

If it all fits, I doubt you have any issues. My concerns came from the fact that I didnt have enough metal/take good enough measurements prior to disassembly.

However, I made some time tonight and had a friend to help. Got the rocker put into place and came to the conclusion with a little work I will get the rocker to fit well enough.

Then I wanted to see the door in place. Once bolted and some minor adjustments made I think the door will be ok. The gap isnt very bad at all. I had visions of all sorts of issues.

I pulled the drivers fender off the nose and put it into place. It fit pretty well. This means I couldnt be too far off on the outer edge of the hinge post or the fender wouldnt wrap around it.

I feel that the parts are damned close to where they belong. I didnt have paper with me to write down the measurements, but will do that next time to see how close they are to what Dealercut measured. If my guess is right I will find that the inside of the hinge post (closest to the kick panel) is probably about 1/8 inch too close to the striker.

Anthony

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Finally got some time, got off my butt and got some work done again tonight. Felt good to make some progress.

Got there and the driver fender was still sitting in place. I know it is just sitting there, but makes me want it back together even more.

Started off by getting my measurements set on the passenger side metal then set test fit the passenger fender. Had a few issues with bolt holes not lining up between the fender and inner fender, but should be an easy fix later on.

Took it back apart when I was satisfied with fit and began to weld. Got the inner fender welded into place. Went very smoothly.

Moved onto the kick panel. Went on with no problems. Finally I got the hinge post put into place. Ran out of gas before I could finish welding, but will take care of the few welds Im missing next time.

Was happy to see progress and didnt have much of a hard time with anything. Will get back to it hopefully tomorrow.

Anthony

Attachments

• Pass Kick Welded.JPG
    Pass Kick Welded.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Pass Welded.JPG
    Pass Welded.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Pass Kick no Hinge Post.JPG
    Pass Kick no Hinge Post.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Pass Inner Fender Welded 3.JPG
    Pass Inner Fender Welded 3.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Passenger Fender Mock.JPG
    Passenger Fender Mock.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Driver Fender Mock.JPG
    Driver Fender Mock.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 68

OX1

Bronco Guru
Lookin pretty good. My 70 had most of that work done before I got it, but I fear it was done wrong as neither door closes right and the pass side looks like the opening for the door is not even close to square. :eek:

My 77 is pretty much intact on the pass side (orig parts I believe) and door closes real nice. Could take another set of measurements off that side if you still needed any........

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Lookin pretty good. My 70 had most of that work done before I got it, but I fear it was done wrong as neither door closes right and the pass side looks like the opening for the door is not even close to square. :eek:

My 77 is pretty much intact on the pass side (orig parts I believe) and door closes real nice. Could take another set of measurements off that side if you still needed any........

Having the opening not square is one of the issues I was afraid of which is what lead me to test fitting the door on the drivers side. I received measurements from others here on this board which show the door opening size, so I was sure to get that dead on...heh...as sure as I can be anyway%)

I appreciate the offer on passenger side measurements, but Im all welded up now. When I hang the door and it doesnt fit ?:? I may ask for the numbers tho.

On a side note, was wondering if you had any interest in heading somewhere and grab a beer or six and talk Broncos? Will be working most of this afternoon. If it is easier, my cell is 609-417-0988.

Anthony

OX1

Bronco Guru
On a side note, was wondering if you had any interest in heading somewhere and grab a beer or six and talk Broncos? Will be working most of this afternoon. If it is easier, my cell is 609-417-0988.

Anthony

PM'd ya....................

OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Grinding welds sucks. Do yourself the favor of not saving it all till basically last. Spent hours tonight doing nothing but grinding and smoothing...and a little bit of priming.

Not high impact stuff, but felt good to see something other than silver. A little green primer ;D

Have a ton more grinding to do tomorrow, but hope to be caught up on all welds by tomorrow night.

Anthony

Attachments

• MVC-341F.JPG
    MVC-341F.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 112
  • MVC-342F.JPG
    MVC-342F.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 97
  • MVC-343F.JPG
    MVC-343F.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 106
  • MVC-344F.JPG
    MVC-344F.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
A4x4Junky

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Wow, lookin really clean. Musta spent a real long time grindin those welds down. Nice!

Yea, probably spent more time on them than was really necessary, but figure labor is free.

Worked on it some more tonight. Finished grinding the welds on the driver floor pan. Then I got a coat of primer on the rest of the new metal on the drivers side.

Moved to the passenger side and ground the welds on the inner fender, kick panel, and as much of the hinge post as I have welded. Ground the welds on the striker post and most of the inner rocker. Didnt get any primer on that side...figure may as well wait till I finish all welds on hinge post first.

Anthony