• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68 custom in NM: Build Thread *** Lot's O' Photos***

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have no idea how I've missed your build...all I can say is WOW, you've got some great innovation and attention to detail! That console is gorgeous! Great place to put the sub too!

Really inspiring. Thanks for documenting for the rest of us!!!!

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
ThanX LoneSouth... I appreciate the kudos. I figure that I got a ton from looking at everybody else's builds and innovations that I should contribute in return!

As soon as I get some more time on this thing I'll post more... I still have some tricks up my sleeve ;) Keep yer eyes peeled ;)

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got any pics of the Squirrle installed? Curious how you sealed it to prevent water sitting inside.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
not yet... I'm waiting to put it back on until after the new engine is in. the hood has to come off again so I just don't think it's wise to chance dinking the paint.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
couldn't fool you Tom... SOFTA in Corrales... the 289 is out of it and I need to dress the engine compartment so the 302 can go in :)

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
recent photos....

Attachments

• IMG_7919_WR.jpg
    IMG_7919_WR.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7908_WR.jpg
    IMG_7908_WR.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7910_WR.jpg
    IMG_7910_WR.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7913_WR.jpg
    IMG_7913_WR.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7915_WR.jpg
    IMG_7915_WR.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_7917_WR.jpg
    IMG_7917_WR.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7918_WR.jpg
    IMG_7918_WR.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
just got off the phone with Chuck & Deb at BCs a little while ago. Can't say enough good things about that bunch at BC Bronco's!

The A/C system is on it's way!!!

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Made some progress yesterday...
-The engine compartment is ready to be dressed and painted
-Cable twin-stick bracket is almost figured out
-T-Case and tranny are out and cleaned and ready for paint
-BC's A/C system arrived yesterday
-Flywheel is on it's way
- Axles power washed - frame has been "ratted out"... there was an old nest in there :(
- PS unit removed, cleaned and lubed... ready for paint.

Pics shortly... I wouldn't wanna leave you high and dry now would i?

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Was looking at Steve's post

and thought I'd throw some digital ink down.... I'm really jazzed about Steve's idea because I really like the original chrome bumpers and am dragging my feet to get rid of them... but I need a spare tire and the original won't hold that muthah!:cry:

The only thing I'm not sure about is the hinge for the swing away. Anyone have a suggestion on how to do it and do it with as little flex as possible and keep a smooth action?

I wanted to make something that was a little more compact. Steve's idea was a great starting point and brilliant... but I don't think you need as much steel in there.

Attachments

• tire_carrier.jpg
    tire_carrier.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 344

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Yeah, I liked Steve's idea too and it got me thinking about a bumper for a friend of mine. I built a bumper for my truck and copied a protofab design and I get a bit of sag when I swing the tire out. I think your idea about keeping the tube behind the bumper short is sound. My biggest concern is the moment arm created with a 35" tire cantilevered off that tube. Have done no structural design in over 20 years and I usually resort to trial and error.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
update with pics:
Well The last order of parts has been made and they are set to arrive in the next week or so. Other than heim steering from BC, a new radiator and mufflers... we are set for the final run on getting everything installed.:)

Looks like RMR in CO (July) and the NM M&G (June) are well within my sights this year!:eek:

The March full serpentine pulley set was a biggie. But man that is going to look great on this engine.

The engine compartment is ready to receive...

Attachments

• distrib_wires.jpg
    distrib_wires.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 123
  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 123
  • enginepulleys.jpg
    enginepulleys.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 237
  • tank02.jpg
    tank02.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 144
  • tank01.jpg
    tank01.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7943_WR.jpg
    IMG_7943_WR.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_7941_WR.jpg
    IMG_7941_WR.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_7942_WR.jpg
    IMG_7942_WR.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 240
  • brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 115

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Man that's looking sweet.
What is the capacity of the overflow tank you have in the picture? Reason I ask is I tried one that was only a stainless one like that and it didn't hold enough coolant. I think mine was about 1 qt and it would puke coolant continously. (ask NGA bronco about he puddle under my truck last summer) I ended up using a stock overflow relocated to the drivers side fender.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
overflow tank is 3" x10"... 34OZ (1qt)... so hopefully that should be enough. I may add some extra line between that and the radiator for a little extra capacity if needed.

The A/C box and bulkhead go in tomorrow... so that's really the last thing before the major assembly items... like the dash/AC... power brakes...engine