• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68 custom in NM: Build Thread *** Lot's O' Photos***

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
OK... I'm really getting frustrated. So excuse the bitchin'...:mad:

So I drop bones on a March pulley kit, new ft. disk brakes, water pump, harmonic balancer, fly wheel, clutch kit, motor mounts, BC A/C kit and a few other odds & ends...

First off... the flywheel is too small even though its for a 302. Even if it was the right one, the clutch wouldn't fit it. The water pump goes on nicely but the pulley kit doesn't fit the flange for the water pump... it's too small. I go and get another water pump with the correct flange but the center nipple on it is too large and won't fit the pulley. The standard motor mounts I got don't exactly fit the engine block and one was made poorly so even if I made the holes work it would be skewed and wrong. Starting to get a little miffed...

Get the spindle on the waterpump turned so it will fit the pully kit and buy another flywheel and clutch and start assembling the rest of the pulley kit for the power steering pump, A/C compressor and alternator. It appears that the pulley kit won't fit the A/C compressor, the PS pump is waaaay too close to the block when on the supplied March pulley bracket. The pulley bracket for the alternator won't fit the alternator. THEN it appears that Vintage Air sent the wrong A/C compressor and it's too deep to fit the pully bracket kit. I ditch the billet bracket and go to the BC one for the compressor and the PS pump... it might work except since the wrong compressor it won't fit in the tiny space between the pully and the head cover... getting pissed off now.

While the engine issues are being taken care of... I go to remove the front drum brakes and spindles only to find that the kingpins and assembly are rotten and crapped out... so now I have to drop the front axle and rebuild the outer parts before I can move any further with the disk install. Lucky for me it looks that the inner and outer axle's are in excellent condition... the only bright spot but I will replace the U Joints while it's apart. Now I've about had it.... and now I'm really pissed.

I guess I'm overly frustrated because I'm really trying to get her ready for the M&G in Albuquerque on the 13th of June. I have a lot to do and these little infarctions are eating the available time I have to work on it and get it drivable. I was hoping that we would be able to stab the engine in this week... but all the little problems wouldn't allow that to happen. I'm actually taking some time off for a change and going to put in quite a bit of it on getting this mutha back on track and actually turn a key and DRIVE it to the M&G.... the goal.

I have 3 major purchases left to get it on the road depending on the outcome of the engine fitment issues: Battery, Exhaust, steering linkage... I shudder at the thought that I may have to drop some more coin on the pully issue to get things to work right.

If anyone has some thoughts on this or some possibilities... I'm open to them.

Here are some specs:
- 1985 302 out of a Lincoln Continental bored 10 over with a mild RV cam
- Edlebrock Performer intake
- Holley 600 CFM carb
- BC Bronco's A/C kit
- GM style alternator (1 wire) 180amp
- Ford teapot PS pump... not Saginaw
- 87-93 Mustang water pump (pass. dump)

Phone calls will be made tomorrow to BCB, March, Graveyard and some local parts houses... somewhere in this mess should be a viable solution.

nrramse

Early model 302s have holes tapped into the side so that clutch linkage can be attached, but I understand newer 302s don't. To get around this, vendors sell a special bracket. I don't remember what year Ford made this change on the 302s (I bet someone else chimes in though) but it might be a good idea to make sure yours bolts up.

Sorry about all the frustrations.

Newell

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
Nice Bronco...there are three sizes of clutches and two sizes of flywheels with two different balances depending on your engine. The clutches ranged from 9", 10", and 11". The clutch you need is probably either the 10" or 11" and with a 164 tooth flywheel which is the bigger flywheel. The smaller flywheel is the 157 tooth that also came on 302's but not on a Bronco. Another thing to consider being a mid 80's engine is if the engine is a 50oz balance at the harmonic balancer or 28oz originally on the Bronco. Balance on the flywheel must match the balance of the balancer and being a mid 80's it was probably a 50oz balance. Hope this helps.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Nice build... good luck getting her finished for the MnG. Hope to C U there.

Gonna be a while before I get to drive anything to the MnGs. But, looking forward to the journey.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
ok...update.
I think we got the issues with the pumps and pulley and brackets ironed out... but still need to rectify that the compressor sent was the wrong one and I need to get it swapped. Also the A/C lines will need to be shortened...

I put in the majority of the brake lines/ and fuel lines tonight and tomorrow will be wiring the dash and plumbing the A/C vents. The front axle got blasted and the joints got greased... now it's ready for paint, brake lines and the disk kit/hubs.

Saturday will be putting together the passenger side sub-box to match the other and I should be able to install the entire interior minus the rail covers on Sunday.

There is a strong possibility that I can install the fuel tanks Monday. That leaves the rest of the weeknights next week to get the engine in and tuned. When the interior is completely in I'll put in the glass.

If I'm successful on the engine install I'll fire it over to get mufflers and an alignment (lucky it's the same shop).

John's scheduled to be here the weekend of the 6/7 to do the final stereo and electrical tidbits.

I already know that wheeling after the M&G won't happen for me as a driver because I'm not finished with the t-case shifter and it will take more time than I have to build it right. Most everything else should be done except the bumpers and tire carrier... I'm more interested in the drivability than those items right at the moment.

PICs tomorrow.... :)

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
Adam take a deep breath and chant oooommmmm, the trail runs will still be there when your ready. your excellent build shoudn't be compromised in any way, good luck.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
pictures to keep ya with me on this...

Finished the passenger sub-box today. Will paint on Tuesday and install em both.

Sorry for the quality of the photos... took em with my phone...but you get the idea :)

Attachments

• BC_AC_03.jpg
    BC_AC_03.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_7942_WR.jpg
    IMG_7942_WR.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_7941_WR.jpg
    IMG_7941_WR.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG00064_wr.jpg
    IMG00064_wr.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG00062_WR.jpg
    IMG00062_WR.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG00061_WR.jpg
    IMG00061_WR.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG00059_WR.jpg
    IMG00059_WR.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG00057_WR.jpg
    IMG00057_WR.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_7943_WR.jpg
    IMG_7943_WR.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 296
OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
johnnB... my mechanic would have to go to blows to even think of getting rid of that Charger... it's about to get a restore...glad you got something from my efforts. Always nice to hear when you do something that inspires... :)

Pharm... thanX for the compliments. Now I have to get back to work so I can get this damn thing finished!

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
sub-boxes and arm rests are finished! ;D

Attachments

• sub_010.jpg
    sub_010.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 142
  • sub_09.jpg
    sub_09.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 142
  • sub_08.jpg
    sub_08.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 85
  • sub_07.jpg
    sub_07.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 89
  • sub_06.jpg
    sub_06.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 139
  • sub_05.jpg
    sub_05.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 90
  • sub_04.jpg
    sub_04.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 108
  • sub_03.jpg
    sub_03.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 123

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Looking GREAT! Unbelievable. How close is the interior from being finished?

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
news since last post...

- Needed all new seals and bearings for the Dana30... will be here Friday
- got a replacement bearing retainer shipped in from AZ to replace the cracked one on the tranny... thanX Randy @ Driven Auto Parts
- picked up a new Optima Marine battery
- the engine is done except waiting for the A/C compressor to go in
- Dana 20 t-case has all new seals, painted, tranny painted, new tranny bushings/bolts... slick & smooth motion of shift rails.
- carb/air cleaner adapter should be here tomorrow (valve cover too tall to put on a chromed stock air cleaner. Looks SICK though ;)
- Front axle and drive lines painted and greased
- Seats and seat belts are in
- dash is 90% wired. A/C vents and box are installed
- steering box rebuilt, painted and installed
- A/C condenser and radiator are almost set to go in

All this progress and WHAM!!! My mechanic's mom dies. Called John and told him not to come up to do wiring this weekend as we don't have access to the garage.

I'm really sorry that this happened to my friend/mechanic but I'm also so frustrated that I won't finish before the M&G next weekend. Timing couldn't have been worse.

Slight chance I'll limp unfinished to the M&G... we'll see.

Rest now Elizabeth... you've more than earned it.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
more recent photos:

I talked to Lee today and he sounds much better... he is doing things when he feels like it....

here are a few pics from recent days

Attachments

• 0609_WR07.jpg
    0609_WR07.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 0609_WR06.jpg
    0609_WR06.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 0609_WR05.jpg
    0609_WR05.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 0609_WR04.jpg
    0609_WR04.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 0609_WR03.jpg
    0609_WR03.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 0609_WR02.jpg
    0609_WR02.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 0609_WR01.jpg
    0609_WR01.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 0609_WR08.jpg
    0609_WR08.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 184

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Looks great - keep up the good work. Nice boxes - it's so hard to make speakers in these trucks look good, but you've done a great job

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
thanks so much Copper... I appreciate your comments especially after looking at your rig. Brown truck brought more parts today... hopefully I can get them in there next week.