• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 Explorer Rebuild: year 8/9/10/11

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4249 days to fix my valve cover leak.

Or 11 years, 7 months, 19 days

Since I bought it, it drives. Much cheering in neighborhood.

Round and round the block to warm up get a feel.

Love the nv4500,

Need to adjust clutch rod length.

Brakes need work, pedal to floor gives me 20% brakes.

Still need to attach emer brake bracket.

Dakota digital decided it wants to play and stays on when running.

Wiper motor decided to stop playing, as well as retro sound radio.

Lots of odds and ends to clean up but, it moves, 4249 days later, my vavle cover gasket leak is fixed.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 87
  • eng1.jpg
    eng1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 101
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 95

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hooray for perseverance!
We knew you would stop that pesky leak...%)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recently figured out how long it has taken me (and still counting) to fix the leaky heater core in my '79.
You don't wanna' know...:-[

Paul

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks dirt, finally around town, now need to work on brakes and fix a P/S hose that decided to start leaking, wth. My hose issue is probably my idea to make it as short and straight as possible. I am pulling it and having lengths of tubing installed each end and bend to fit.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Going to pull master cylinder and double check the rod depth. If I have to bench bleed a third time I will but damn.

Now have a PS leak at fitting, thinking my short run of high pressure is to short and allows fitting to vibrate lose. Problem in fixing is I have to lose a quart or two of 715 PS fluid to remove hoses.

How the heck i got lucky on dakota odometer no clue. Used GPS and it's accurate to within 1 at 40mph.

EDIT 4 April: Parker hose was open on a Sat, nice, new PS hose now just need to figure out MC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Parker hose, well, great hose, but wrong PS box fitting, you need a long reach 1/2-20 inv flare -6AN fitting so had to order from Holley. Yeah, Holley only ones who could get it here in two days. So I wait again.

Today, I pulled master cylinder and walla, I have about 1/4 inch space between rod and MC plunger, call WH and Wilwood to confirm, say it should be down at 1/16th, so I adjust.
'
No help, pedal still goes to floor.

Bench bleed master cylinder third time, bleed rear brakes third time. I'm getting good at this like I was 16 again.

Lay down to start bleeding right front caliper third time, and think to myself, self, why is that brake bleeder fitting on the bottom,,,,,

OK, this is pretty embarrassing, I had the front calipers swapped. 12 years ago I put those damn things on specifically using the part number for the side, never thought twice that would have been wrong from the manufacturer, until I could not get a hard pedal today bleeding, for third time.

Crap.

Since it's been 12 years I have new ones at autozone for pickup in AM.

More later, course now it rains for three days, again.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So some stupid cold got into the way....

Fixed brakes and steering.

Installed WH steering stabilizer shock and mount, fabbed up a drop bracket from crossmember, and used 1 1/4 stainless u bolts from hardware store to attach to larger than stock steering linkage.

what the heck not a contributor, again, damn

And I'm back

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 92
  • shock2.jpg
    shock2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 99

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool! Just asked about pics in the "what have you done" thread. Guess I typed too soon!
Very clever. Nice looking setup and looks ready to tackle anything except getting dirty!

Uh, and "stupid cold"? You mean it's below 90 today?%);)
Let me guess, that number below your join date is not just your post count, it's the altitude where you live!

By the way, how's the shock mounted at the other end?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other end is WH steering stab mount on oversized steering link, I used larger daimater U bolts massaged to fit, worked fine.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pulled carpet for version 4. Yes, this is the fourth carpet in 2 years and wish I would have done this first. Accmatt Lapis Blue elite with matt backing, pic of rear end.

Attachments

• rear carpet 1.jpg
    rear carpet 1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice carpet finally

My carpet rollbar tool. Meps torch and i think 2 inch diameter copper pipe.

Carpet needs a touch more trimming but that was easy.

Attachments

• rollbar tool.jpg
    rollbar tool.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 61
  • rollbar cut.jpg
    rollbar cut.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Version 4 carpet in, shifter boots in. Really like the quality, look and feel of this ACCmat heavy matt version of carpet, pricey but worth every penny.

EB pushed out of garage to let it run a few minutes, nice to hear again.

Had an issue or hope I had an issue with clutch, hopefully adjusted all slop out.

Last item before driving was install drivers vent, of course, the rubber drain nipple rips on both sides, now have to wait till Monday to get new one at Randy's. 50 cent part once again stops work for three days. Unbelievable these aftermarket rubber parts only last a few years.

And by last I mean drivers seat in once driver vent installed. Then put on a few hundred miles then off to Randy to fine tune body trim, tops etc.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Clutch fixed.

carpet finished

wiring harness stuffed under dash for now. I have a no radio issue even though it gets constant and switched and worked on my bench. Ground is good, something to work on during winter.

Seats installed, filled it up with 10 gallons, did the Phoenix freeway loop putting 130 miles of no trouble driving some at 80, mostly 65. Rough estimate 15 mpg, but it is way backed off on tune, only running 10 degrees which I'll fix dropping it at Randys tomorrow for bunch of other minor things.

Did have to remove torque bar, it would not install after first test drive, axles sat into their place and now no fit, going to have to have them grind off and reinstall bracket on axle.

Brakes for some reason worked fine. Probably finally adjusted drums to their right place, now whole thing stops as well as my 2013 Jeep.

NV4500 is a dream, 5th gear at 70 doing 1950rpm's. And, stroker is sweet even though not dialed in yet, gobs of accel at 70 if I put the foot into it.

Sure miss a right side mirror, oh yeah, look, I sit above everything else.

Going to have tire vib looked at, 65 and up, random, vertical vibs at tire rotation speed, ie same speed as whewwhewwhew sound the 35 KMs makes. Think they sat in one place for about 6 years, probably not good for them.....

Need to dial in rancho9k, whats evryone using for setting? I set about half way on front and zero on rear, way to bouncy.

Off to Randy next for trim, top adjust, tune, various other.
overhead shot is trailrocker from painless, no I don't make money from them, just a really nice product. It has front and rear lights, fuel pump arb locker pump and front and rear air locker switch.

Attachments

• dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 79
  • dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 73
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 81

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a driver! Sweet!
I used to run 2 in the rear and 3 in the front around town, then turn them both up one notch when I was loaded for a weekend's camping/wheeling.
I tried running them lower on the trail, but that didn't seem to do what I had hoped, and then I had to remember to turn them back up after the trail.
I think the added weight of the gear made the softer valving not work well even when bouncing around on and off of rocks.

Remember too, mine where the old 5-position dials, where yours might be 10-positions if they are within the last several years. Been 10's for years now.
Also, it might depend on which exact part numbers you have. We mostly choose Ranchos based on their size and mounting type, but don't have any way to know what particular valving is involved. Not usually a problem because they're adjustable over such a wide range. But I still always wanted to take four or five different RS9000's of the same size but different part numbers, and try them all out back-to-back on the same Bronco to see if there was any difference in how they felt at the different settings.

You might as well just experiment one step at a time while you're out having furn around town. Good excuse for driving it more!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice location for the toggle switches.. Looking good

Clutch fixed.

carpet finished

wiring harness stuffed under dash for now. I have a no radio issue even though it gets constant and switched and worked on my bench. Ground is good, something to work on during winter.

Seats installed, filled it up with 10 gallons, did the Phoenix freeway loop putting 130 miles of no trouble driving some at 80, mostly 65. Rough estimate 15 mpg, but it is way backed off on tune, only running 10 degrees which I'll fix dropping it at Randys tomorrow for bunch of other minor things.

Did have to remove torque bar, it would not install after first test drive, axles sat into their place and now no fit, going to have to have them grind off and reinstall bracket on axle.

Brakes for some reason worked fine. Probably finally adjusted drums to their right place, now whole thing stops as well as my 2013 Jeep.

NV4500 is a dream, 5th gear at 70 doing 1950rpm's. And, stroker is sweet even though not dialed in yet, gobs of accel at 70 if I put the foot into it.

Sure miss a right side mirror, oh yeah, look, I sit above everything else.

Going to have tire vib looked at, 65 and up, random, vertical vibs at tire rotation speed, ie same speed as whewwhewwhew sound the 35 KMs makes. Think they sat in one place for about 6 years, probably not good for them.....

Need to dial in rancho9k, whats evryone using for setting? I set about half way on front and zero on rear, way to bouncy.

Off to Randy next for trim, top adjust, tune, various other.
overhead shot is trailrocker from painless, no I don't make money from them, just a really nice product. It has front and rear lights, fuel pump arb locker pump and front and rear air locker switch.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, and thanks for all your support and moral support, it's been way tougher than I ever would have thought starting out 12 years ago. Even though I have really only been on it for three years.

Lessons learned, build motor and tranny last. Don't put tires on until you are done with paint or are really driving it. I would probably go for wiring with dash on even though tabletop was nice, it messed my home up for 9 months, and now I have an issue with radio that worked on table, not so much in truck.

Dakota digital is the bomb, makes it so you can lose all those round gages, even though I will add a vacuum and oil temp gage. That said, nothing wrong with stock rebuilt gage set from that guy in Salt lake, sorry forgot his name, i bought two from him, both beautifully done. Just changed direction...

To think it started with a leaky valve cover, and then slowly morphed into full restore, then full resto mod, then rock crawler, now back to resto with some spiffy tough stuff for offroad use.

Dropped it at Randy at Driven today to fine tune some of the stuff I just don't have tools, time for. Plus, well, they make hard look to easy. Best of the best here on 32nd Ave.

I'm in middle of move, garage sale this weekend and selling house within next three or so weeks. My tools all at the new place. I'm not a mechanic this month:) Going to retire fulltime to North of Payson AZ. Now you know why I didn't install AC unit. My drive around town yesterday for three hours at 101 degrees was about as hot as I'd like it to be, but was fine moving old metal around, lots of thumbs up, and a few horn honks I returned with my 4 horn caddy setup.

Here is shot of mastercraft baja RS, it's the first and I think only full suspension seat which reclines. Adjustable headrest, looks very period correct, not dissing the one peice with intigrated headrest just wanted the older look.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 68

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those look great. I usually prefer the Mastercraft and Corbeau with a little bit of extra height added to the front bracket. Tilts them up just a bit to suit me. Others like them flatter like they sit naturally.

Randy's good folks for sure. And lots of fun stuff to dig through and "graze" while there.

Paul