• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Hurst 3 Speed Linkage vs Twin Stick on J-Case

BUB50

Help!?

I purchased a Twin stick kit from WH for my 76. I also purchased a 3 Speed Floor Shifter. Shortly after installing the twin stick, on the "J"-case,
I installed the Hurst shifter. I found out the shift rods won't work.

I called WH, they said that there is no kit for this combination for the "J" case, only the earlier "T" case.

Has anybody ever ran into this? Can this be remedied?
Am I looking at customizing shift rods?

Thanks!
BUB50

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey BUB, welcome to classicbroncos! Sorry to hear about your issue. Can't offer any help myself either, but interested to hear what others who've run into this have to say about it.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BUB50

Thanks! This my first early Bronco.
I guess I overlooked something when I ordered these 2 kits
I must have missed it, being not compatible. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Floor shift and twin stick J-shift is possible with Duff's kits. Only took minor tweeking of the trany rods on mine.

OP
OP
B

BUB50

Other then Duff's custom made shift lever for the floor, I want to say that everything else should bolt up even with the Hurst shifter, in theory... I'm still looking at fabrication since I have the shifters already installed. JD shows the twin stick application for the "T" case, and a single shifter for the "J" case. If you swap tranny for a 4-5 speed, the twin stick will work with either case. I was just move it off the "tree" to the floor, and put the twin stick in since I was already there.... wish me luck?

gmurrell

hey bub50 welcome. any pics of the linkage issue might help. preferably none with camo crocs and white socks...

OP
OP
B

BUB50

Well I don't have any pictures for you guys, but haven't worked on it in a while. Had planned on it, then got wrapped up in something else, then never got back on it.

I was toying of swapping it all out and going with a NP435 just like I had in my 74' F100 back in 79'. I'm in the process of getting the engine started, getting the tranny figured all out. I'm not happy about cutting up the newly repaired floor. But if it has to be done, it will get done.

You guys a Great!
I appreciate all of the support